Grainger street

Come across this site after googling grainger street in Notts for pics my gran was born and grew up there number 12 grainger street she was born October 1933 her brothers all born there to Harold and annie Worthington.  she was 9 years on during Notts blitz may 1941 she's still alive and fit and well and can tell u me in great detail everything around there if anyone needs any info. Harold Worthington  my great grandad had served in ww1 and was one of 5 brothers Charles, Thomas, George (KIA), who served with the sherwood foresters I've got all the info on all of them. Found some brilliant pics on this site already!  

• Upvote 3

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Arnell1862. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

I've attached a photo of Grainger Street for you. My house was on the left, just before the entry.

I spent the first sixteen years of my life there. I hope you like the photo.

GraingerStreetPhoto.jpg

• Upvote 3

What year was you born? my great grandads icrc pow paperwork give his address as 12 grainger street 1918. my gran (his daughter born there in 1932) was born there. going back even further and in Sneinton m great great grandfather Charles worthing was a platelayer on the railway. My grandad Stan arnell (parents charles and beatrice arnell) lived on trent lane 8th may 1941 aged 13 or 14 wouldn't get out of bed during the raid and the houses next door got hit he didn't get injured

• 2 months later...
On 29/11/2016 at 0:40 PM, Arnell1862 said:

Come across this site after googling grainger street in Notts for pics my gran was born and grew up there number 12 grainger street she was born October 1933 her brothers all born there to Harold and annie Worthington.  she was 9 years on during Notts blitz may 1941 she's still alive and fit and well and can tell u me in great detail everything around there if anyone needs any info. Harold Worthington  my great grandad had served in ww1 and was one of 5 brothers Charles, Thomas, George (KIA), who served with the sherwood foresters I've got all the info on all of them. Found some brilliant pics on this site already!  

I lived on granger street but I don't rember which number my names Colin Wayne Brooks ( Roy Brooks) mother Kathleen Brooks ( maiden name leggitt )  I have no photos I belive my house was demolished. 

• 6 years later...

I was born on Grainger ST. 1939. number 70. My grandparents lived at number 50.The Gray family. I lived through the Blitz of 1941 and can remember going into the air raid shelter outside out front door on the corner of Freeth St.where my mum's parents lived. The Murdens. All the houses across the road from our house were blown up in the blitz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A very warm welcome to Nottstalgia Joan Tyler. Hope you find many items of interest from the various threads on here. Look forward to hearing more from you.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Grainger street

I think Grainger Street has come up in another thread somewhere, and I think I've posted a photo of it. But here's another.

v0tXBtQ.jpg

The road on the left is Meadow Lane. Grainger Street goes from the arrow down towards the river. The bridge was a railway crossing; it's now Lady Bay Bridge for road traffic.

Arnell1862 who started this thread never came back after his first and only post.

Yet another case of 'Win some, Lose some' C.T. I wonder why people lose interest after just 1 or 2 posts. I always find it fascinating and informative and just love the occasional banter.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:28 PM, Beekay said:

I wonder why people lose interest after just 1 or 2 posts. I always find it fascinating and informative and just love the occasional banter.

I've mentioned it before but there are two likely possible explanations.

One is the person simply forgets they ever posted here, so never come back again because it's gone from their mind.

Or they remember they posted but can't find it. Either they don't remember the website where they posted the message; or even if they can find Nottstalgia again, they can't find their own post within it.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

they can't find their own post within it.

Yes, it would certainly help if the search function worked properly and did not give you a message saying "search again after ??? seconds" on the second attempt at searching for a subject. After all these years you would think they would have sorted it out.

So far, Joan Tyler seems to have become a victim of 'Not Coming Back After One Post' syndrome.

It's also ironic that another frequent poster - Michael Booth - has not been here for several years, and he lived on Grainger Street.

Maybe if the one posters drop on 'Banter Brigade' channel, we might possibly scare them off a bit. After all, perhaps we can be a bit daunting.

Buses, trains, bicycles etc might not be to everyone's cup of tea.

Talking of which, I'll go and put t'owd kettle on.

Beekay, maybe buses, trains and bicycles are not everyone’s cup of tea but you guys like them which is great. I’m now into gardening although Mrs B doesn’t mean I’m Mrs Blossom but also that’s not everyone’s cup of tea and can be a chore for some people.

Whatever rocks your boat is fine big bro.

I think as well that people move on and have other commitments in life.

Mrs.Beeeeee, I would be totally lost without your support to bolster me up.

I realise transport is not for everyone, neither is gardening or cooking, but doesn't mean I don't like reading these forums. I've  said it before, but I like to think I've made friends and acquaintances all over the planet, even as far as Oakham and Melton Mowbray. Even know some people in Lincolnshire.

Nottstalgia is great for learning stuff and passing on tips about other stuff.

So if I need to know how to treat me Hollyhocks, I'll buzz you lil sis.  thumbsup

• Like 1

It's impossible to keep everyone happy all the time; anyone who browses this site will find topics which interest them and topics which bore them. The trick is to learn to ignore what you don't like, and move along to the subjects which interest you.

There are people who visit the site frequently and know everything which has happened - perhaps going back many years. But a lot of people who visit have landed here because they searched a particular subject (eg Drury Hill, Goose Fair) and a link led them to Nottstalgia. They will read the relevant thread to which they were pointed, but they might not look any further, so they will never see the delights of 'Keep One Drop One' or 'How's your day'. They may accidentally find their way to the main Home Page which might lead them to the list of all the other threads and topics......but it depends how far they are prepared to dig, and how much spare time they have.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's bloody difficult to find anything here anyway.

Ian, I avoid that lot wherever possible. I knew of someone who went there once and was never seen again. Rumour has it that he emigrated to Littlehampton. Each time I've been there, somebody pinched me Gall bladder. Or stuck some stents in me.

• Like 1