A few random photos -4

Great pics CliffTon, Rock and Rolled (Not Literally) and had a good laugh and Park Drive, most mornings travelling to work on the bus into town through Colwick and across the Colwick crossings in the 60s. A bus ride never to be forgotten. 

• Upvote 1

In my teens lived in a flat just up the hill behind the tram on the right .

Great photos, ClifTon, never realised that trams were originally on the Woodborough road route, wonder where they terminated, anyone know ?

I mean the furthest point from the city, as they would need a turnaround to head back into town.

Passed those sandstone walls a few times on the old 31 route.

• Upvote 1

Looking on the news archives it would appear that the original Woodborough Rd tram terminus was near the top of Porchester Rd . then sometime later in the 1920s extended to the top of Westdale Lane.

Don't think they needed a turnround as the trams were reversible....just required passing loops in the tracks .(I think)

Here's a pic of the original terminus . 

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;DCHQ500448&prevUrl=

• Upvote 2

Mrs Chulla has a nice collection of old postcards, a few of which show scenes of Nottingham and district in the early part of the last century, some of which I cannot recall seeing in publications.

Arboretum%20PC_zpsi9sg7dqa.jpg

Castle%20PCs_zpszjmebo0j.jpg

Castle%20amp%20Market%20Street%20PCs_zps

Southwell%20Minster%20PCs_zpstxhrdrdb.jp

• Upvote 9
  • 1 month later...

The Castle Gatehouse, pre-1920s because the Riding School is still there on the left.

vDza1BR.jpg

Old-style tram; in the Market Square about outside The Bell.

rqjGzzL.jpg

Trolley bus on Albert Street, outside M & S.

RbMZzQM.jpg

I don't think I've done any of these before, but I'm losing track.

• Upvote 11

Well done Cliff!! a nice trio, incidentally the tram on photo .2 bears a sign for Jacksons bag shop- this was based on Carrington Street .

The company prided themselves on top quality trunks and cases..in particular the type strapped to early cars. My late Fathers military trunk bore the makers mark of W. E Jackson...they are now very sought after...as the standard of finishing was top class. Also before 'she ' was moved Queen Victoria looking down on the area known as the Plate Market.

Nice pics Cliff, as a child I could never travel on a Trolley Bus without feeling sick and

often had to get off before we got to town.

This year my Daughter Grandson and I got the Tram home from goose Fair, we had to get

off before we got home because my Daughter felt sick.

Nothing really changes.

Great photos Cliff. As a kid I loved the trolley buses. The B8 to Huntingdon Street, walk to Slab Square and trolley bus to Trent Bridge, a 'cruise' along the Trent, an ice cream. Simpler times, I wonder how many of today's kids would settle for that as a day out?

The trolley buses always had a strange smell don't know if it was the motors, the interior trim, or the lingering smell of cigarette smoke.

Like others here I always liked the trolley buses.  44 from Carlton square dropping off on Parliament street for a Saturday night out on the town.  I liked the acceleration and relative quietness of these buses.  I was sorry to see them go.

Great pics Cliff.

#11.  Even as a smoker for many years, I often felt sick upstairs on both internal combustion and 'trolley' buses.

Col

• 1 year later...