I handpicked 10  'first' songs for our wedding.

But the number one first on the floor song was chosen by herself:

'Warm And Tender Love' by Percy Sledge.

What was your first song or piece of music at your wedding?...or weddings!!

I don't think I remember going to a wedding in my era, where there was a dance at the reception. Certainly not my wedding, after the meal, folks just socialized.

Bamboozled us both Ian. In 1966 I don't think the "Wedding Dance or First Song" was big business definitely not at our wedding anyway. Most of  our Wedding guests had to leave early to make the journey back to W-ton,and in those days there was no dual carriageway, making it quite a treacherous journey on an icy boxing day. Oh And me in tow! The wedding was a double one, so my sister and her new husband probably danced the night away to the Disco. What music to, I have no idea.

Ellie Gouldings lovely song..How Long Will I Love You, would be my choice today, perhaps we can have that dance around the sofa on our 50th anniversary on Boxing Day?

• Upvote 1

No music at ours in 1975 either.  However when we arrived at the Manchester Airport Hotel that night we couldn't get in the door as Bay City Rollers were in attendance and the Management had locked the doors to keep out the screaming tartan-clad girls.  

• Upvote 1

Did it start in the 80's i wonder?...my Mum said the reception was in a small room in the Hotel on the bottom of Derby Rd,

no band or music....and my Dad dropped the camera with all the snaps in it...I think you get an idea of their marriage after that!!

We just had a buffet reception at the Grey Goose - no music or dancing.  We just wanted to get away on our honeymoon anyway!  (Our old car wouldn't start so my Dad drove us to Victoria station where we got a train to Skeggy). 

• Upvote 2

First Wedding in 1967............reception at Railway club,Bulwell,........great do about 100 of my relatives,.......Danced the night away,Dad paid for everything bless him.........bride was well up the 'duff' but nobody batted an eyelid..............lol.

Second Wedding 1972, (Dad refused to pay)...so no reception and we shot off to Downham Market,stayed at Hotel who were having a 'Supper Dance'.very nice and romantic,lots of mushy music and 'Bum sqeezing'

Third Wedding....1985.(Dad refused to pay again).......so reception was lots of cobs at the 'Masons' in good old Basford......great night all the locals joined us with Harry on Piano and brilliant sing-alongs..............haven't fixed a date for the next one yet,but all you Nottstalgians will be invited...............................lol.

• Upvote 6

She actually enjoys my silly humour Ian,.........my soul mate and best bum I ever squeezed.............

• Upvote 1

Herself organised almost everything in our wedding..and it was a great success... even down to the 60's hornrimmed gold sunglasses we dished out!

The DJ got into a right 2 and 8 - so ,two hours in Dawson hit the decks...finished about 4.am with all the Hotel staff and visitors with:

'You Never walk Alone' by Gerry & The Pacemakers.

My 'song' which was played 2nd was ,Sailor- ' Glass of Champagne'.

that's why I don't go mate..............can't beat 'smoochy' Ian..........love a Dance..............I remember when..........oh forget it.........lol.

When we got married in 1974, we were near skint and had to pay for our own wedding. No money for music, I worried for ages about the reception being flat as a pancake. A few days before I spotted an ad in the Post classifieds, rent-a-jukebox, fifteen quid. Ooh, I thought. Rang the bloke, available this Saturday, yes and we deliver and collect. What about the records? All popular and free to select, no money required. Great, bring it. After the church, turned up at the reception to find the jukebox in situ and playing. Phew. Looked at the records, nowt newer than about ten years old! No smoochie first dance either, it was Let's Twist Again.

You know what though, it went down well. Great laugh.

• Upvote 3

Well we were lucky as most of our friends in the year 1965 had a shotgun wedding. Can't remember what we had as our first dance  but we did have a three piece band, I suppose we should have had the Wedding Song, as building up to our day ever pub we went in it seemed to be playing,  (Juke boxes were just coming in then.)

I also had a silly brother who liked to arrange games, roll the balloon around your body, put a Polo mint on a cocktail stick and pass it on, are just a few.

The beer flowed freely all night, all, paid for by my dad, we had about 100 guest's and the reception was at the Liberal club near the bottom of St Ann's Well Road. The guest's decided to do the conga they all came in a line out of the club, down St Ann's Well Road across the zebra crossing near the Locarno  dance hall, stopping all the car's, I don't think the motorist were very pleased. It did not bother us as we were on our way to London. 

Sorry benjamin1945 but I've only been married once.

• Upvote 5

Mary............its never too late.........lol...............only joking mi-duck........good on ya..........

If ever we break up benjamin1945 I'll wait for you if you'll wait for me.

• Upvote 1

YES !!!!I must admit we had a brilliant wedding our parents did us proud

• Upvote 1