Forest Fan's Favourite Foreigners!

We've had many superb foreigners at the City Ground, and also some abject flops too. 

My favourites in no particular order are ....

Bryan Roy, Lars Bohinen (traitor), Hans Van Breukelen, Johnny Metgod, Pierre Van Hooijdonk, and the absolute epitome of coolness, the brilliant Einar Aas who's career was so cruelly terminated by a bad knee injury. 

Flops..... Nickolai Jerkan, Kjetil Osvald, Alan Davidson to name but three .

Whilst not strictly a foreigner in coming from the Channel Islands, What about Richard "Flip" Le Flem. He scored one of the best Forest goals ever against Burnley during the 1962/63 season. You could always tell how Flip was going to play, if he had the cuffs of his shirt sleeves in his hands he was not likely to have a good game but watch out if he came out with his sleeves rolled up.

Didn't Jeff Vowden come from the Channel Islands too?

• Upvote 1

Vowden yes OZ,............and Bill Whare..........plus I believe the 'Farmer' bros,.........Bill a goalie and Ron a really good wing half,.....used to love ''Flip'' le flem.............until he nicked a girlfriend of mine..............lol.

I was there for Flip Le Flem's wonder goal still can visualise it now it was like something out of Roy of the Rovers ! 

Wasn't there a lanky Italian centre forward who was totally useless ? Trying to remember his name .

That's him ! Useless. We should never have sold Peter Withe. One of the best forwards we ever had. 

I appreciate that there were detractors who thought of him as unskilled, but he was a great target man, and good at laying it off for others such as Woodcock. 

That's right Benjamin , Andreas Silenzi signed for nearly 2 million by Frank Clark and didn't score a league goal in 20 appearances.

Good pub question though . Who was the first Italian to play in the Premier League ?

Answer : Silenzi 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely ! His free kicks were virtually unstoppable.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel Clough turns Forest down.................but fret not we've signed Tshbola or somebody from Villa on loan for rest of season:(

There's a surprise! We're the joke club of the season.

• Upvote 1

My, my, that's reassuring !

Oh crikey Gem, you have my utmost sympathy. At least the structure of the club is stable, unlike Forest!

• 1 year later...

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

I knew they would get out of the Championship at first attempt :crazy: 

You'r kind words are much appreciated..........not :angry:

• 10 months later...
On 12/5/2016 at 4:26 PM, FLY2 said:

We've had many superb foreigners at the City Ground, and also some abject flops too. 

My favourites in no particular order are ....

Bryan Roy, Lars Bohinen (traitor), Hans Van Breukelen, Johnny Metgod, Pierre Van Hooijdonk, and the absolute epitome of coolness, the brilliant Einar Aas who's career was so cruelly terminated by a bad knee injury. 

Flops..... Nickolai Jerkan, Kjetil Osvald, Alan Davidson to name but three .

Alan Davidson was sent home after having an epileptic fit during a reserve game, I remember. Agree that Einer Aas was a superb player, very sad how his career ended. Some other fine players: Louis-Jean, Brennan, Darcheville, Porfioro, Olsen, Ponte (who, for some reason was frozen out by his team mates).

Flops: Kara (got an international call-up and refused to tackle in case he got injured), Lica, Dumitru, Bouchalakis

Yes, Darcheville was a powerful lad, similar to Assombalonga. Never understood Cloughies handling of Ponte. He scored a hat trick away at Bury, then gets dropped. Einar Aas could have been the backbone of our defence for years. Pity he managed only a dozen or so games.

I was at Sunderland the night he was injured. Tragic.