Planting time in UK again....

I've been on my first Pilates session today, and it's killing me. I'll tell you something...... It certainly cures constipation ! LOL

Ive got a list of exercises to do before next week's session. 

I'm out of painkillers, so it's Baileys tonight !

• Upvote 2

Off work for a time at the moment so got stuck in clearing the remaining debris from last weeks storm damage,the rose arch (completely destroyed) got sawn up as did the old rose branches and they got burned in the fire tin,grass raked over to get rid of twigs and moss (I think the moss is winning) all that lot burned,raised bed in the greenhouse raked over and some fresh compost mixed in,all garden tools cleaned off and metalwork on them wire brushed over and oiled,the wooden handles on the tools were given a good wipe over with rape seed oil from the kitchen but any veg oil will do as it soaks into the wood,mineral oils such as vehicle engine oil not only smells on the handles but leaves your hands grimey and could cause skin problems (good tip there) more to do today

Rog

• Upvote 1

Keep yourself busy Rog whilst the weather is reasonable. I believe a crap weekend is in store for us all.

• Upvote 1

Wish I'd got your energy, Rog!

Wonderful to see the miniature daffs out in the garden. They really are my favourite flower, representing the yellow of the sun after the darkness of winter. Going to tip it down today just because I'm taking a day's leave.:(

• Upvote 1

Well, despite the weather I have now sown my main veg for the season. Four types of cabbage, caulis, two varieties of sprouts, some extra Spanish onions, and some broccoli.  They are in small pots in the polytunnel for now and will be transplanted perhaps in April.  Other veg and root crops will go direct into their plots when the ground warms up later in April/May.

• Upvote 1

Spot on Fly,it's raining quite heavy here now,so just tidying up in the greenhouse and me bike shed,well when I say tidying up I really mean playing with tools and bicycle parts not really doing owt useful if you now what I mean

Rog

It looks good, and no doubt impresses madam !

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

After a bit of a trike ride yesterday I took the opportunity to carry on with the garden chores so,grass raked over again to try and keep on top of the moss problem   (I am losing that one at the moment) all the dead tiwgs and branches cut from the acer in the front garden and a good chunk of the birch tree at the side of the place was cut off using my trusty bow saw,don't like the tree to get too high because the electric cables run above the tree that feed four properties in the corner of the close,raised bed in the green house raked over again and watered ready for "hopefully" planting my young plants in that I am starting to propagate in some used butter pots inside of plastic bags on the kitchen windowsill,peppers and melon,they should be up and ready for hardening off within the week,greenhouse glass all cleaned and any moss that had grown in the glass to frame joints was removed (bloody moss),cut off dead clematis twigs and threaded the new shoots through the trellis on the front wall of the house,Wren has took up residence in the old nest box again on the electric pole and Great tits have moved into the box that is tucked away in the lilac bush, bound to find more stuff to do today no doubt

Rog

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

You're right about the moss Rog.  It seems to be everywhere since the winter.  It's not usually covering all the more shady borders in my garden but it is this year it is.  And despite serious effort last year, the moss in the lawn seems almost as bad as ever.

As for planting.  Not sure what to do on the veg front this year.  I've given up on outdoor Tomatoes except for the Tumbler varieties.  So anything better will have to wait until I get my greenhouse. Beans and outdoor cucumbers both failed last year and I couldn't be *rsed sewing a second lot.

I've had success with posh carrot varieties in pots in bought compost.  Usually stand the pots on bricks to keep them above 'Cruising Height' of Carrot Fly.

I tried planting carrots  in a 50/50 mix of bought compost and sand, thinking I'd save on compost  They were a disaster and all succumbed to Carrot Fly.

I don't have a large garden but I created a veg patch maybe 8'x8' a few years ago.  I've had a few beetroot and radishes out of it but onions, carrots etc all failed.. more than once.

I must be a very bad gardener. 

Col

Not a bad gardener Col just bad luck,stick at it,try different variety's,eventually you will sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour's

Rog

DJ360: Make an onion bed using well rotted garden compost and/or horse dung.  Make it as deep as you can and then mix it well with soil.  Onions love a really rich feed and hate drying out.  So the more water retaining compost the better.  Here's a photo of a Kelsae onion that I grew using that method.  The measurement is in inches and the smaller onion is a standard type - I can't remember exactly what variety but possibly Setton:

33714938352_07bf77867d_c.jpg

• Upvote 2

I was lucky last year, Plantfit. The tree nearest my house grows beneath the power line.  I usually keep it trimmed to a few feet below the line but of late I have neglected it.  During last summer we had a visit from the leccy board who offered to send tree surgeons to prune the tree for us at no cost to ourselves.  They turned out to be good lads and so I engaged them to prune several more during the autumn!

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Innit bloody marvellous! Yesterday I planted out some young pea plants in glorious spring sunshine....today it is snowing!