Incomer or returner or former exile

Well Guys,

My wife and I moved here to Mansfield in 2004, from Darn Sarf, bit of a con job really, our oldest thought we would be handy to babysit if we lived closer, so we did!! then they emmigrated to Australia. 

WE love life here, have great neighbours many, now friends and part of an aging but fairly vibrant community.

We enjoy family history, my wife is a Londoner with roots in London and Wiltshire and since we arrived here connections to the east midlands and points north.(and east!)

I am from Oxfordshire, and my parentage is Welsh(ish) on my father's side and Irish on my mothers side. Many years (since the 1960s) research into fathers ancestry was thrown into chaos by the 1911 census. So here in the East Midland, we are starting over, I have a couple of photo's to post trying to find locations.

Fantastic site, I have lurked awhile and enjoyed much of the banter.

Other interests are caravanning, photography, video and digging around in cemetaries churches abbeys etc.

Here's to the future where more of the past may be revealled!

• Upvote 4

Hello Mugfaker, I knew Mansfield back in the late fifties as I worked at Harlow Wood Hospital (sadly now a posh housing estate!) for a couple of years.  Visited the town a couple of years ago and hardly recognised the place.... 

Hope you don't dig too deep in cemeteries!

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, MargieH said:

Hello Mugfaker, I knew Mansfield back in the late fifties as I worked at Harlow Wood Hospital (sadly now a posh housing estate!) for a couple of years.  Visited the town a couple of years ago and hardly recognised the place.... 

Hope you don't dig too deep in cemeteries!

Thank you for the welcome, as expected for the area!!

I will eventually post a photo of an excavation job in a notorious Bristol cemetary (Arnos Vale). (not too deep!)

WE are still discovering our area, we were working for most of the time we have been here, but now retired we do what we darn well feel like, but always on the go! If swbo said tomorrow lets go, the caravan would be on the road before she finished speaking.Catherals,abbeys etc are all on the bucket list!

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, katyjay said:

Nice introduction Mugfaker, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome,from what sounds like a posh area of the US, I bet you miss sunny Nottinghamshire!

We loved our visit to the US, probably not as posh an area as your location sounds. BUt to us, Oklahoma was a fantastic experience.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome Mugfaker! I'm also a bit partial to digging up the ancestors. Found a few skeletons, as do we all!

Look forward to reading your posts!

Thanks for the welcome, and the skeletons are the best part of ancestry!

• Upvote 1

When we lived Darn Sarf, there was a legend that Ladies out numbered men in Nottinghamshire in the ratio of ten to one! and so far ladies the forum is living up to thelegend!

Wonderful situation.

I cannot disagree with that comment,  and thanks for the welcome.

They appear to be VERY discerning ladies. so I will show the utmost respect.

Perhaps it's because several of the men on here are coy about showing us what they look like?  Some of the ladies were shy at first and only put cute little photos up showing themselves at junior school age, but several have now updated the photos to nearer their proper age!  Wonder why the men are so shy?  

5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Perhaps it's because several of the men on here are coy about showing us what they look like?  Some of the ladies were shy at first and only put cute little photos up showing themselves at junior school age, but several have now updated the photos to nearer their proper age!  Wonder why the men are so shy?  

Trying to protect the ladies from the horrors in my case!

Good subject Margie,being honest which you know i always am!

Its down to confidence.. don't possess an ego- my 'scobb' as they call it here would be awful in that little box.

Met most of the ladies on here...and without appearing offensive... they are not only very genuine but very good looking too!

The Nottm adage about pretty girls is spot on!

These days i feel like i know members on here- better than my own Brothers...bless you lot!

Don't put yourself down, Ian...  There's nowt wrong with the way you look and you're younger than most of us on here, I think 

Funny thing happened last year Margie...my Wife introduced Hannah 

(madam) to a lady in Nottm who knew my Mum From the early 1950's- the woman began to cry...she said that my Daughters resemblance was uncanny...took her back to 1952.

On a similar note, we've just been visiting our son and family today, and one of our 15 year old twin grandsons was getting ready to go out to a party this evening.  He took over 2 hours choosing what to wear and getting ready!  He is a good looking lad and I told him so, but then I came out with an expression my mum used to say: "But remember, handsome is as handsome does"   Then I had to explain it .....