12 Pubs of Christmas

Has the 12 Pubs of Christmas phenomena reached Nottingham yet?

It's where a group of people (sometimes quite large) get dressed in outrageously stupid Christmas gear and then have a full sized drink in 12 pubs that you can get to without driving or using public transport. There are a few rules usually made up on the go.

If you were to do this in Nottingham or any Nottinghamshire town of any era. What would your twelve pubs be in order?

From my past it would have been quite easy to do this within a short distance of Mansfield Market place in the sixties. In fact often did six pubs before going to the Palais on a Saturday night.

Bridge Tavern, Old Ramme Inn, White Hart Hotel, Swan Hotel along Bridge and Church Street

Black Swan, Victoria Hotel, Portland Arms, Railway Inn, Midland Arms, along Albert Street and up by the Station

Finish of at any one of a number of pubs near the Market Place Queens Head, Charter Arms, Crown and Anchor.

That's 12 but still plenty of alternatives in the Market Place itself Dial, Market Hotel, Kings Head, Old Blue Boar, Old Eclipse.

Estimated total distance to walk 2 miles.

We used to do the pub circuit of Southwell back in the 60's but that was generally for birthdays. Only halves though. They were, as I remember :

The Grapes - now an antique shop

The Lord Nelson - recently closed

The Shoulder of Mutton - now a house

The Reindeer - open

The Crown - open

The Saracen's Head - open

The Admiral Rodney - open

The Plough - open

The Newcastle Arms - now The Starting Gate

The George and Dragon - now the Bramley Apple

The Hearty Good Fellow

The White Lion - now the Old Coach House

That was twelve ( now 9) in a relatively small town.

Have I missed any?

• Upvote 1

From my days when let loose, it would be, Yates, The Bell, News House, Royal Children, Salutation, Flying Horse, Exchange, Dog & Bear, Black Boy, Crystal Palace, White Lion, Miltons Head. Hic !

Shit hole Ian, and totally over rated , although on longer jaunts we pulled it in,as were most of those along Parliament St. 

There were girls in our crowd too Lizzie, but I know what you mean. I've done that side of things too. 

15 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Pub crawling must be a macho thing. I've always preferred to find a nice pub with good company and stick there all evening! 

I'M with you Lizzie.........never been one for Pub crawls with the boys..........sooner snuggle up in nice boozer........with the girls............lol.

• Upvote 3

Oh for Gods sake Benjamin, is there no end to your charm. I bet you would soon be the laughing stock when they saw your Liberty bodice. 

Sorry Benjamin, I meant 'smarm' not charm ! LOL

Correct Fly,no end to it...............and they actually loved my Liberty Bodice.......like I said,was never one of the Boys.......Girls always more fun......

And knew you didn't mean charm .

• Upvote 1

There's a time and place for either activity. I've thoroughly enjoyed both !

Philmayfield #5

Some great memories there from a beautiful part of Nottinghamshire.

Those pub names in Southwell got me thinking and I thought that the Bramley Apple was on Westgate more towards the intersection of Appleby Rd and the road to Oxton or was that the Grapes almost at the junction.

The villages around Southwell and that part of the Trent valley seem largely unchanged over visits home over the last 40 odd years.

Narrow country lanes and great country pubs. Some that come immediately to mind are the Full Moon at Morton, The Bromley Arms at Fiskerton, Wagon and Horses at Bleasby and the pub at Hazelford Ferry which is now an aged care home?

• Upvote 1

It was The Grapes which was on the rhs going towards Oxton. The Bramley Apple is on Easthorpe. The Bromley at Fiskerton was my regular pub when I first came to the area. That's where the Young Conservatives met. We were not political - it was just a place for the younger people to meet up and have some fun! My next regular venue was The Moon at Morton where we waited around for non locals to leave after drinking up time before bolting the doors and starting the serious business of the evening. The Waggon, Hazleford Ferry, The Crown at Rolleston and The Coach at Thurgarton were all popular venues over the years. As drinking and driving has become a no no, I don't patronise them at all now. Even the one within walking distance I don't use - although I can afford the prices I am not prepared to pay them! It's interesting, however, to see the number of cars there at "early doors". I often  wonder if they're all on soft drinks!

• Upvote 1

When i think of doing 12 pubs today- I'm probably basing it on 20 odd years ago.

It wasn't unknown for me to get a little impatient on that 44 and jump off outside the Alma or The Spread- and have a wet in Peverils territory.

Across to The Moulders for a pint of heavy- into The Windmill for a sniffter...or a sniff of someone's dope!

Wipe me feet on the way out..over to Forest Rd.Tavern..terrible pint..great jukebox,' The Crystal Chandelier' serenades the regulars.

Stroll up to The Generous Briton for a culture shock- The Runner was good for a sit down and take in the blues and a roll- up.

The George and the Irish crowd on a Saturday night could be lively...rub shoulders with teachers in The Borlace or Falcon.

Waddle down Derby Rd into the H & H /game of pool in the Scheeling Bar beneath The Strathdon...and all set for a session in town!!

My regular pub crawl in the early 70s was: Hand in Heart (Derby Road) Sir John Borlace Warren (Canning Circus), The Portland Arms (Portland Street off Alfreton Road), usually finishing at The Wheatsheaf (Ilkeston Road).  Why? Well, I lived on Arundel Street at the time.

philmayfield#22

I hope you can help me with a date that the river bank changed at Fiskerton. Walking towards Nottingham along the flood protection wall outside the Bromley Arms at the end of the wall you used to go through a swing gate and on the sweeping bend there was a stretch of bank almost like a beach. I spent many hours fishing there and remember having to move your basket well back and hold on to the keep net when the John Harker barges went past creating mini tsunamis.

When I was last back I was disappointed to see that the beach was no longer there and there was only a few pegs among the vegetation. When did the bank change? I guess it was as a result of the many flood events but when. Has anyone got any photos of the "beach"?