Can anyone help me with a pub query? My mam 85 born in St Anns keeps going back into the past  and she mentioned as an underage drinker (1940's) she went in Pubs around town. The last two she talked about were the Dog and Partridge (which I go in now and again) and another. One known as the 'Dirty Dog' which they gave a wide berth to. Does anyone know where it was or if it had its name changed over the years?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just seen Ian's photo of Pretty Windows. Quite a coincidence as I was in there last night. It was the first anniversary of the pub's re-opening and today's the 55th anniversary of George Wilson's murd

F*ck

The Old D & P was the worst of the two by all accounts, so that is probably the one she meant. 

Both were 'dog' rough in my estimation though.

• Upvote 1

Was the Dog and Partridge renamed ' Original ' after the Old Dog and Partridge was later built?

There was also the Dog and Bear. I'd heard this was supposed to have had a reputation at certain times.

The original Old Dog & Partridge was built in the 1800's and was called -

The Old Dog & Partridge Brewhouse... then Shippo's bought it in the 1890's and the Brewhouse was dropped.when they built the pub over the road( with the same name) in 1908- they called it the "Original" Dog & Partridge It closed in1970 to make way for Victoria Centre.

• 1 year later...

Two bits of possible explanation.

Looking at the first paragraph here, the name Postern Gate seems to be fake-old, and only appeared in the late 1800s.    http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1929/itinerary1929p3.htm

Clue may also be the yard out the back, which was Postern Place. That name exists on maps back to 1830s, so a long time before the pub got its name.  A bit chicken and egg.

uVM0RMD.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 15/12/2016 at 9:53 AM, TBI said:

Sounds more like a nickname doesn't it? Shippo's Dog and Gun on Trinity Square not far away?

How about the Greyhound on Burton Street?

On 15/12/2016 at 9:53 AM, TBI said:

Sounds more like a nickname doesn't it? Shippo's Dog and Gun on Trinity Square not far away?

The same (?) Dog & Gun came up in another thread a few years ago but I can't find it now. I photographed a ghost sign of it, but didn't know what it referred to at the time. Someone on NS identified it. The Dog & Gun was on Mansfield Road towards the Poacher. this is the sign on an alley looking from Sherwood Street towards Mansfield Road.

lIvCaAQ.jpg

And PTP have a photo of the original pub. The alley is almost hidden behind the lamp post.

P9Cz9Pg.jpg  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, denshaw said:

A few bus drivers from Parlo went in there after finishing a late shift.

Likewise, Bulwell crews used the Piccadilly Club after a grueling late on a Saturday. !

I once kicked 2 drunks off one night & later bumped into them in the Piccadilly Club, all was well they even bought me a pint !

• Like 1

I remember the Grey Mare at Clifton being built and opened,on the day of the opening Shipstones had one of their Grey Mare shire horses there with it's grey foal,first pub I ever went in,must have been about 1965,ran in nicked a beer mat,ran out again, never really been a drinker but did collect beer mats

Rog

• Like 1

I think now an ex tegestologist,thing is when I go in a pub now I can't resist nicking a beer mat (although I no longer collect them) does that make me a "Tegestological Kleptomaniac"?

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

does that make me a "Tegestological Kleptomaniac"?

It's easy for you to say!

• Like 1