• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just seen Ian's photo of Pretty Windows. Quite a coincidence as I was in there last night. It was the first anniversary of the pub's re-opening and today's the 55th anniversary of George Wilson's murd

F*ck

• 2 weeks later...

Basford North(Ex Great Northern) was originally Basford & Bulwell  also in the area:
Basford Vernon (Midland )
New Basford(Great Central)
Bulwell Market(Midland )
Bulwell Common(Great Central)
Bulwell Forest(Great Northern)
There was also three stations at Hucknall

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not know but out of curiosity I looked and Lost Pubs says it was Pepper Street, off Bridlesmith Gate and was demolished in 1960.

In street view it looks like they made an attempt at keeping the look of the original cobbles.

The more I use this site the more I learn about Nottingham.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can any member recall a pub in Bulwell  I have visited it in my younger day's 

It's was called The White House by the locals?

Catchems corner remember it well, driving past the pub turned left in my new Allegro and a little Fiat came straight out from a side road in front of me. I have never seen a car break up the boot and bonnet shot open the doors fell off . Not much damaged to Allegro though, got out of the car went over ask if the women was OK which she was, then could not help myself quote (You stupid women what made you pull out in front of me, and look what damage you have done to my car)  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Great jukebox too! 

Any pub with a jukebox got a very wide berth from me - as did pubs with gaming machines. My aversion did tend to make my pub selection a bit limited but hey-ho.

Worse than either of those, though, were pubs with computer games. I well remember seeing one of the early computer games in, I think, The Strathdon. It consisted of a disc moving side to side on a screen which was meant to be deflected by a player controlled paddle (or bat). Particularly irritating about this was the sound made whenever the paddle contacted the disc.

My dislike of each of these things continues even now.

• Upvote 1

Nothing worse than loud music in pubs. We’ve had to relocate our Monday evening meet up from the Old Coach House in Southwell because the new landlady has introduced live music on Monday evenings. Mainly old gits on a Monday night and it’s driving them all away. I hope she gets the message soon.

I used to frequent the Town arms at the bottom of Plumtre square when a lot younger,Friday nights playing on that football table thingy they had in the room on the left as you went through the door,

Rog

• Like 1

Another picture reminding me of the area I first started work, bottom of Sneinton road, thanks for the pics Ian, most of the fruit and veg companies had their vehicles serviced at the garage I was at, other company's among them were A W lymn,(funeral directors) Windley fibres,(some sort of machinists in the clothing/fabric industry) Dring (potato merchants), Spurgeon (newsagents on Manvers street) there was also a theatrical agent along there Jimmy ? the name will come to me soon,I'll try and think of some more

Rog

• Like 1

Just seen Ian's photo of Pretty Windows. Quite a coincidence as I was in there last night. It was the first anniversary of the pub's re-opening and today's the 55th anniversary of George Wilson's murder. I found out yesterday the location of George's grave, so went up to Wilford Hill to get a photo for the last page of my book.

Oh yes! My book!

Well it's quite a shortish one on Sneinton, the pub and the murder. I started it just to satisfy my own interest really and wanted to be in the pub last night to write the last paragraph. Gave it a sense of completion, I thought.

I had no thought of publishing it as I thought the cost would be prohibitive. For example, I understand that Picture the Past want £40 for EACH picture that you use "for profit". If anyone does want a look at it you should be able to open it on this link ..

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApciJlF4GJnwcUh-e38ZfL4-Wnk

Any criticisms, additions etc would be welcome.

• Like 6

I remember this when it happened and shocked to think it had happened in Nottingham. 

Well done AG really interesting reading . My neck is aching from looking down but couldn't stop reading.

• Like 1

Thanks, Nonna. I am well chuffed. I don’t think I’ve read it through in its entirety before. When you’re gathering stuff, you sometimes find things that slot into the beginning, then the end and then the middle , so it becomes a bit disjointed. I started to read it properly earlier tonight, and already I can see where I’ve used the same word in consecutive sentences. Think I was rushing a bit to get it “out there”on the anniversary.

Needs polishing!

Must say, it was quite sad stood in front of George and Betty’s grave in the rain today. I’ve become quite attached to them.

• Like 2