Thanks Rog..forgot about that...i used it at lunchtimes...as the Stag over the road had gaffers in there.

The landlord had lost a Son in WW2 and had pictures and telegrams relating to his bravery.10p for 3 juke box tunes.Sometimes i would ask. and others. If the juke box coukd be turned down ?..no problem..in my 36 years in Nottm...never had a pub brawl or row.

At work though??...lived in Lancaster & Thorpes!!

• Like 2

Jonab I still have one of those 'PONG' games in my loft, wanna buy it?              thumbsup

• Like 1

NO THANK YOU!!!!!

I do appreciate you reminding me of the name of those completely irritating time wasters, though.

• Like 1

Another picture reminding me of the area I first started work, bottom of Sneinton road, thanks for the pics Ian, most of the fruit and veg companies had their vehicles serviced at the garage I was at, other company's among them were A W lymn,(funeral directors) Windley fibres,(some sort of machinists in the clothing/fabric industry) Dring (potato merchants), Spurgeon (newsagents on Manvers street) there was also a theatrical agent along there Jimmy ? the name will come to me soon,I'll try and think of some more

Rog

• Like 1

Drings!...knew the son Rog..small world it surely is.That whole area was buzzing at one time..Flittermans, Robinsons,The Lamp, Bus Depot and Lost Property Office, not to mention the market and the tatooist who could'nt spell!

Edit: next to where Trent Cars was..Manvers Street Cafe. Mince and onions to die for!

• Like 1

Just seen Ian's photo of Pretty Windows. Quite a coincidence as I was in there last night. It was the first anniversary of the pub's re-opening and today's the 55th anniversary of George Wilson's murder. I found out yesterday the location of George's grave, so went up to Wilford Hill to get a photo for the last page of my book.

Oh yes! My book!

Well it's quite a shortish one on Sneinton, the pub and the murder. I started it just to satisfy my own interest really and wanted to be in the pub last night to write the last paragraph. Gave it a sense of completion, I thought.

I had no thought of publishing it as I thought the cost would be prohibitive. For example, I understand that Picture the Past want £40 for EACH picture that you use "for profit". If anyone does want a look at it you should be able to open it on this link ..

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApciJlF4GJnwcUh-e38ZfL4-Wnk

Any criticisms, additions etc would be welcome.

• Like 6

Blinkin' brilliant AG!!

For a start i didn't know it was on Southwell Rd. And the illustration is clever too..will read more later.A talented NS member.

Ian.

• Like 1

Where??

• Like 1

I remember this when it happened and shocked to think it had happened in Nottingham. 

Well done AG really interesting reading . My neck is aching from looking down but couldn't stop reading.

• Like 1

Thanks, Nonna. I am well chuffed. I don’t think I’ve read it through in its entirety before. When you’re gathering stuff, you sometimes find things that slot into the beginning, then the end and then the middle , so it becomes a bit disjointed. I started to read it properly earlier tonight, and already I can see where I’ve used the same word in consecutive sentences. Think I was rushing a bit to get it “out there”on the anniversary.

Needs polishing!

Must say, it was quite sad stood in front of George and Betty’s grave in the rain today. I’ve become quite attached to them.

• Like 2

We've talked about this incident before. Ben was driving by at about the same time and a friend and I where actually stood on the front step when he was stabbed at the side entrance. 

Very sad justice was not served.

The incident scene caravan..parked near the murder.nottingham-murder-scene.jpg