I had to go over to Nottingham yesterday on business, but it was a very short trip. We caught a train from Newark at 10.45 and returned on the 13.30 total cost about £6 pound each.

The city centre was very busy so we decided to walk up towards the Castle area ending up at the Trip to Jerusalem, a pub I last went in about 1968.

I looked for the "cursed galleon" and eventually found it in one of the upstairs lounge rooms. Somehow it looked different inside its glass box. Is it the same one?

Also the famous "pregnancy" chair looked different too, has this been replaced at some time in the past?

There were one or two tourists inside but know one seemed to notice the galleon or the chair until I mentioned it to them.

To be honest although the pub was very nice and atmospheric inside, the whole area outside and around the pub seemed quite tacky and untidy from how I remember it. A pity really as I always thought that it was a bit of a landmark and a good attraction for visitors to the city....

Hi Smiffy, in the 1989 the Trip was bought by old man Hanson of Hardy and Hanson. His first manager told me that environmental health had visited and had insisted that all of the ancient cobwebs on the galleon were a hazard and must be removed. The manager told the pen pusher about the curse and refused to touch it, whereupon the environmental health officer called for a stool and mounted it. He reached for the galleon, touched it, and fell off the stool and broke his tibia.

The perspex case was built round it so that it could be cleaned and moved without it actually being touched.

It is a great shame that the myths and legends surrounding that pub are being forgotten, Rowan who was the manager when it was a free house did a lot of research into the history of the place and had discovered that beer was brewed in the caves on Brewhouse Yard as early as 1077 at least, and was hauled up to the castle through tunnels in the sandstone.  

• Upvote 3

We go to the Trip sometimes when we are in Nottingham but that's not so often these days. As it happens we were there on Tuesday lunch and had a bite to eat. I think it's a Green King now. Had a pint of Shippo's of course, very nice and the food was good pub grub. Nothing outstanding but absolutely fine. It really is a unique building and I still like it. Having said that the toilets until recently were a disgrace and for a tourist attraction pub should be better. What must visitors think. I noted on Tuesday the gents had been improved but still not very nice. Wife said the ladies were still poor. 

It's one of the few if not only pubs that hasn't changed a deal since my youth over 40 years ago.

I think on a nice day in warmer weather it's actually very nice in the area. The castle grounds are kept well. Now on a dull cold winters day with soggy leafs all over it does look a bit jaded but still one of the cities better places. 

Can any one remember the Horn that was fixed into the wall. You had a metal ring on a rope and you had to throw it into a corner and try to get it on to the Horn. When  Master and my self were very young that's when we first met I think he was trying to impress me, as he could throw the ring into two corners in a number 8 shape and he always got the ring on the Horn.

• Upvote 2

your right  benjamin1945 no comment

On 20 December 2016 at 8:55 PM, mary1947 said:

Can any one remember the Horn that was fixed into the wall. You had a metal ring on a rope and you had to throw it into a corner and try to get it on to the Horn. When  Master and my self were very young that's when we first met I think he was trying to impress me, as he could throw the ring into two corners in a number 8 shape and he always got the ring on the Horn.

It's still there, or at least it was recently. 

Thanks letsavagoo 

going into the big city this morning will  to the Trip  and have a look, just for old time's sake. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a go on 'Ring the Bull' a couple of years ago. After a bit of practice I was ringing about every 3rd shot. Played it a lot as a student in the 50's. The secret markings on the rear cave wall have gone. These 'markings' were targets to aim for when doing trick shots - the double and treble.  Won a few pints at that game :cool:.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

The horn game. It was (or still is) known as "Bating the Bull". The ring, a copper nose-ring for a bull, and the string it was attached to,  a six-foot bow-string.  I used to play it back in the sixties, particularly when Yanks were in there. Make out I couldn't do it, then challenge 'em for a pint. Easy-peasy, chuck it over the right shoulder aiming at a mark in the sandstone and it would plop on perfectly. They couldn't believe it, but would always honour the bet! 

• 1 year later...