My Nan - Players Box Factory

My Nan..Ethel Riley...was an employee at Players. She must have retired about 1970 when I was about 12 years old.I remember her bringing alsorts of wonderful gold paper and odd bits of felt home with her for me and my sister to play with.I think she worked at 'The Box Factory'. Can anyone tell me where abouts this was please ?

I believe it was on the LHS going towards Basford at the top of Sherwood Rise. Maybe on the site of the Djanogly school or whatever is there now. 

There is a box factory listed on Ascot Road Bobbers Mill. The Sherwood Rise factory was certainly Players. Perhaps someone else knows more.

Further investigation reveals that Sherwood Rise was Player's "General Stores" so it probably was Ascot Road.

Take a look at these Flickr photos, especially on the second page. There are several locations which might have been the 'Box Factory'.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/50284741@N02/

And Player's also had a factory at the bottom of Hartley Road where they made packing cases. It's now the site of housing.  https://goo.gl/maps/a3hQ65BGWvx

• Upvote 1

Thanks Phil , It makes an lot of sense that it would be Ascot Road,just around the corner from where she lived on the Boulevard.

I went to Bobbersmill School (for my sins ) and spent many ahappy evening hanging out on the corner of Plesant Row, where the turbines were.

Lots of good memories

Yes, the box factory was definitely Ascot Road and Sherwood Rise was the general stores. I used to work in the Engineers Office and we used to take a trip to both locations on a Friday to pay the boilermen (pre BACs. We didn't even KNOW anybody who had a bank account!).

Great craic and tea you could stand a spoon in!

My mother worked at a box factory on Ascot Road when she left Guilford Girls' School at 14. Her older, married sister Marjorie also worked there. Mum was bored stiff, took shorthand and typing lessons and went to work for Radio Rentals in the offices above Toby's on Friar Lane.

I didn't know the box factory was part of Player's though.