A while ago I think I read that there were a few cooking, baking topics somewhere but I cant find them. I thought I would start this topic in case anyone would like to post their favourite, or something unusual or different.

Come on all you bakers........

I'll start off by posting a few later.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The English Dinner   Not for me the foreign dish, not my idea of feast,    The French, the Thai and others from, countries of the East. Garlic, chilli, spices, these the tongue's t

Didn't find an appropriate place to put this but thought this was the right place . ( foodwise)  This is my 95 almost mum just about to start on a pizza.   Not really it was a family size one

Made a few shepherds pies today to put in the freezer 1 Onion finely diced 3 Carrots,grated,fry off in pan,add Lamb mince and stir until thoroughly mixed with onion and carrot, 4 tables

Yes please. I have 20 jars of home preserved plums to enjoy this winter. Any recipes for preserved peaches and apricots?

This cake is a speciality here as hazlenuts are grown everywhere

Hazlenut cake

200g SR flour
-  200 g sugar
-  200 g shelled hazelnuts
-  3 eggs
-  100 g very soft butter
-  Milk
-  2-3 tablespoons rum
-  1 tablespoon bitter cocoa powder
-  Salt

Spread the hazelnuts on an oven tray and bake at 180 °C until the skin is singed. While they are still hot, wrap in a rough cloth and rub until all the skin peels off. When cool, grind finely with a blender. Sieve the flour with the yeast, cocoa, and a pinch of salt. Break the eggs into a bowl, add sugar, and whisk until the mixture is stiff. While whisking, add small pieces of very soft butter and when well mixed add the chopped nuts, flour, 3 tablespoons of milk, and the rum. Mix gently and then pour the mixture into a 24 cm round, buttered and floured cake tin. Level the surface and put the cake in the oven preheated to 180 °C. Bake for 45 minutes. After removing the cake from the oven, wait a few minutes, then tip onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

Polpette di zucchini

little burgers of courgettes and mint

Ginger crunch biscuits

these have to be tried

scaloppine al rosmarino

pork fillets with garlic rosemary and cream

Poached plums on french toast (serves three)

1 cup of cranberry juice (we used the reduce sugar type)

1/2 cup of sugar

3 plums with stones removed

French toast

2 eggs

1/4 cup of milk

3 slices of bread

pour sugar and cranberry juice in a pan and bring to boil,when sugar has disolved turn heat down to simmer

liquid should start to turn syrupy

add in plums cut in half flat side down

While the plums are getting a bit soft get french toast ready

whisk eggs and milk and pour in a shallow dish

place bread in mixture and let it soak for a couple of minutes each side,do same with rest of bread

put frying pan on the heat and add knob of butter and just a touch of oil

when hot put soaked bread in the pan (one at a time) and fry both sides until golden/light brown

put toast on a plate,put a couple of plum halves on the toast and spoon some of the syrup over the top (upto you how much syrup)

Enjoy (bet you go back for more

Rog

• Upvote 1

I'll save this until I have some fresh plums all mine were preserved in August. But I could make the sauce and toast. Hope I can find cranberry juice. If I'm not mistaken translation of cranberries in italian is red currants ( mirtilli rossi) but thats not right so maybe I wont be able to get it here. Red wine instead?  Or pomegranate juice which I think will be a bit sharp. Will let you know how it goes.

thankyou.

• Upvote 1

Juicy peach turnovers,

Shop bought puff pastry rolled out to about 12" square,1/4" thick,cut into 4, wipe Italian peach conserve diagonally across each square,place peach segments or halves at each end of conserve wipe,bring other ends of square to the middle and press to seal,brush with eggwash and put in fridge for half hour,place on a flat baking tray dusted with flour (to prevent sticking),put in pre heated oven at 180, 160 fan,leave for about 20 minutes,bring out oven and let cool a little,brush turnovers with some of the peach juice and drizzle with a little icing,enjoy,Me and Mrs P have just eaten two each (pair of gannets)

P1050422_zpsivdnvtsc.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

They look tasty - better than the shop-bought fruit pies that we're trying to eat quickly before we start being careful again (I've put on well over 1kg during the Christmas period.)

They were tasty Margie,too tasty they did'nt last long when they came out of the oven,theres something about hot/warm fruit that really brings out the taste,they did'nt have time to cool down. Earlier in the day I made a toad in the hole in a dish about 9"x6", 3 Lincolnshire sausages and the batter mix topped of with onion gravy,I've probably put on more than a kilo,not even going to look

Rog

• Upvote 2

Heres a very rich creamy dessert with coconut

1 tin condensed milk

3 eggs

6 dl milk

Mix all ingredients together. Pour mixture into ready caramelised containers ( small ones are better)

Cook for 20/30 minutes in bain marie ( 180). Test with cocktail stick , if it comes out clean its ready but if not cook for further few minutes. When cold place in fridge. Tip upside down to serve so that caramel is on top.

• Upvote 1

Simple but delicious tart

CROSTATA ALLA FRUTTA

350 gr flour

175 gr butter

125 gr sugar

2 eggs

fruit of your choice or just some tasty jam

Mix butter in with flour until mixture is like breadcrumbs then add sugar. Mix well and add eggs. Make into a ball of dough and without kneading it place into 1 or 2 pie dishes ( depending on size of dishes) 

press down but dont make it too thin ( about 1/2-3/4" ) Top with a thin layer of jam and top with fresh or tinned fruit. You can also make strips and twist them to make patterns on top. Cook a good 1/2 hr in oven at 180 c.

• Upvote 1

Caponata Siciliana

This is basically a vegetable salad slightly pickled. Can be eaten on its own with crusty bread or as an addition to cold meat or add a tin of tuna and a hard boiled egg.

4 aubergines Cube and salt for 1/2 hr to drain bitter juices

2 onions

2 ripe tomatoes

200 gr green olives

150 gr capers

2 celery hearts

1 glass vinegar

1 1/2 glasses sugar

Extra virgin olive oil

Chop all veg and cook all together with oil, sugar and vinegar. When cooked place in hot sterilised jars and seal. I sometimes freeze this and it freezes well.

• Upvote 2

The coconut one is french, the crostata is italian and caponata is sicilian.

Here is another one for pesto but a bit more unusual. My sister in law gave me this recipe some time ago but I haven't tried it yet. I have 1kg of dried tomatoes itching to get out of the jars,

PESTO AI POMODORI SECCHI

12 sun dried tomatoes

Bunch of basil

30 gr of chopped almonds

80 gr grated parmesan

Chilli ( according to taste)

EVO

place all ingredients together in food processor and whizz until fine. Use oil to make to your preferred consistancy.

Place in small containers. Keep in fridge

• Upvote 1

Ginger crisp

An australian recipe that I love

125 gr soft butter

100 gr sugar

210 gr flour

1 1/2 tbs ground ginger

ICING

75 gr butter

2 tbsp syrup

90 gr icing sugar

1 tbsp ground ginger

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy add remaining ingredients. Flatten into a rectangular tin and bake at 190 for 20 mins. 

Before the 20 minutes is up make icing by heating ingredients together. Spread on top of cooked mixture and leave for 20-30 minutes cut into pieces whilst warm.

• Upvote 1

#17 re pesto . I was going to make this pesto this morning and it reminded me that the sundried tomatoes first need soaking to get rid of salt. Soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes . When soft drain and dry thoroughly. Then use. They are also nice topped with a little shaved parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.

Made some sundried tomato bread today. We had a full loaf for tea with gorganzola and mascarpone. 

Delicious

image_zps1mjjmx3g.jpeg

image_zps4vdhfzax.jpeg

and a pane brioche. 

• Upvote 4

The pan brioche took one hour on a low gas burner, in a fornetto tin. I've had a few failures using it but this time its been fine. The pan takes a bit of getting used to but can be used in oven.

• Upvote 1

This is the. Versilia Fornetto given to me by my daughter. A few hits and misses but ideal if you already have something in the oven or you dont want to turn it on. 

You can also make savoury dishes and meat dishes in it so its useful.

image_zpshlsf7odp.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Mrs Chulla made this very tasty dish for dinner last night. I thought you might like to try it. For the thickening she used two teaspoons of cornflower. It was very milky but equally delicious. Just stir in more if you want it thicker. Note: it is a serving for four people.

Chowder%20recipe_zps40o00pck.jpg

• Upvote 3