• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The English Dinner   Not for me the foreign dish, not my idea of feast,    The French, the Thai and others from, countries of the East. Garlic, chilli, spices, these the tongue's t

Didn't find an appropriate place to put this but thought this was the right place . ( foodwise)  This is my 95 almost mum just about to start on a pizza.   Not really it was a family size one

Made a few shepherds pies today to put in the freezer 1 Onion finely diced 3 Carrots,grated,fry off in pan,add Lamb mince and stir until thoroughly mixed with onion and carrot, 4 tables

Cranky, neither did my dad, but whenever he ate with us more often than not I added a TOUCH of garlic and he always said he enjoyed it and couldnt taste the garlic. It depends how heavy handed you are.

Re #4 Hazlenut cake.

Chulla pointed out to me that the recipe given gave yeast to be added to the flour but no yeast was mentioned in the ingredients.

The flour here is mostly plain flour and baking powder is added to make it SR . I always buy SR flour and on copying the recipe never gave it a thought. Hope no one had made it and was disappointed.

Sorry Mrs Chulla but you should have phoned or mailed me. imsorry

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The other night my SIL reminded me of a recipe that I 'd made years ago that she liked and couldnt remember how it was made. It took a lot of thinking which one it was but in the end I remembered, but I made it with chicken wings, this time I used drumsticks. 

Marinate drumsticks or wings taking as much skin off as you can and add a little garlic and tbsp or two of EVO and the juice of 2 oranges and a little bit of peel aand add a sprig of thyme. Place in fridge over night, season and either cook in oven basting once in a while with marinade or cook in pan adding a little of the marinade, turning up the heat at the end of cooking time so that the chicken colours a little.

Itslight and when cold you can shred it up and mix with a salad using oil and orangejuice as a dressing.

The English Dinner

Not for me the foreign dish, not my idea of feast,

The French, the Thai and others from, countries of the East.

Garlic, chilli, spices, these the tongue's taste spoil,

Be they fried or grilled rare, for peasant or for royal.

I will stick with English, and I don't want to boast,

Ah, those Sunday dinners, vegetables and roast.

Beef cooked as it should be, and if were left to me,

No red or pink, just well-done brown, a la bien cuit.

And what about the 'taters', baked to harden skin,

Just turning brown by fat or oil, to burn would be a sin.

And veg' that are, coloured green, remember not to boil,

Best done in a steamer, otherwise will spoil.

Same goes for sliced up carrot, if you want them munchy,

Just minutes in the steamer, is sure to make them crunchy.

And finally the gravy, that wondrous compliment,

With seasoning as per taste, a meal that's heaven sent.

That's a proper tasty meal, has stood the test of time,

Never changed in centuries, where people sit to dine.

You can keep your fancy cooking, and its high-blown price,

Nothing beats the English roast, nothing is so nice.

And then we have the pudding, one that you can trust,

How about a fruit-filled pie, within a pastry crust.

Blackberry and apple say, topped with some ice-cream,

Doubt you'll find a better fare, you know what I mean.

• Upvote 7

I too love english dinners only if they are properly cooked. 

Italian visitors to UK always say England is beautiful , shame about the food. I always reply it depends where you go because english cooking is wide and varied. and good. Any sort of food be it english, french, german etc is good if cooked correctly it may not be everyones  choice but how boring not to savour the flavours of other countries. Even here if I were to think of the dishes I hate were the typical food  of the country I would say Italian food is awful.

You have to try to appreciate. 

Not criticising you Chulla ! Well done with your poetry

• Upvote 1

I attended Jamie's Italian on Saturday, and was absolutely pleased as punch. It was very informal, but clean. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced, although the choices on the menu were quite short. The service was outstanding and overall, it completely exceeded my expectations.

I adore Italian meals. There's so much more to Italian food than lasagna, spag bol and pasta. 

• Upvote 1

Yes Fly do tell. I agree theres much more to italian food than those mentioned. Every provence has its own specialities. Piemonte where we live is well known for good food and wine especially being close to Barolo and Barbaresco.

Is Jamies  Jamie Oliver. In Nottingham ?

Thankyou kind sir. You will have to try my sons restaurant. Alex is chef. 

Look on trip advisor or his web site. "Wine story" Castagnole Lanze. Asti

or even my daughters, L'oca Giuliva. ( merry goose)

I miss the friendly atmosphere that we had in Radcliffe.

My understanding of so called ' English Food' is that it's a hotch potch of all the countries that invaded us in the past.

Britain's diet is appalling and we could take a leaf out of Nonna's book...

( drizzled lightly with extra virgin) ..obviously!!

Well NonnaB, for starters I had Mushroom Fritti, main was chargrilled 35 day old sirloin steak with herby garlic butter and grated horseradish,  fries and red gem . Dessert was vanilla panna cotta with black cherry compote, Katy crumble and orange zest.

Yes I know it was basically steak and chips, but it was several weeks since I'd had red meat, and I was suffering withdrawal symptoms. I invariably have a pasta main or a salad, but I needed something more substantial.

I must add that the belly pork , prawn or mushroom meals at Prezzo's are delightful. 

Oh, a the House Red was fine too ! 

• Upvote 1

Sorry Kath, it should be 'oaty crumble ' LOL

#24 Chulla,

Mmm Mmmmmm. What can I say. We have just had the Chowder for brunch. I omitted the cooked celery as neither of us like it.and I didn't have enough smoked haddock in my freezer so added about a third of diced cod. I half expected it to spoil the flavour, but it was delicious, slightly thickened with cornflour. 

I have just told my daughter about it, and she is drooling, Chris is on his way down to her pad with a bowl for her.

Tell Mrs C, another success.:)

• Upvote 3

Must try it Mrs C but the problem is can't find smoked haddock very easily here. Will try Carni's adaptation.

• Upvote 1

nonna, I did about half and half with the fish. I don't know if it would work with any less smoked fish, because i think it is that, that gives it the delicious flavour. I hope you can find some, because the recipe is so easy and quick to make, and so tasty, so long as you enjoy smoked fish.

Its rare that we can find smoked fish but we do get the more unusual fish so I'll experiment. Mrs Chulla and I were at school together and we often exchange recipes, in fact its about time we exchanged some more:)

• 3 weeks later...

Done some ready meals the last few days to put in freezer. Lasagne in varoius sizes and some Arancini. 40 of them. Did some at lunch time today for my daughter and I. But fried them outside. Beautiful day today we even sunbathed a bit.

Can't upload photos as it says I'm only allowed 51.2kb.

• Upvote 1

All the leftover veg and roast spuds get put in them little foil trays and put in the freezer,I put three roast spuds in the bottom of each tray,spoon over the honey roast veg (parsnip,carrot,sprouts and dice potato's) put the lids on and freeze,there is usually about four or five trays full,enough for the week,Monday they will be with the leftover joint from Sunday,Pork or lamb,the pre made and frozen shepperds pies and cottage pies (which I make myself) to go with the veg will be dinners for the week,all Mrs P has to do is put them in the oven for 35 minutes and dinners ready,saves her slaving over a hot stove in the week bless her

Rog

• Upvote 2