All going wrong

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Posted Images

Whilst not mathematically safe from relegation Forest have a reasonably easy finish to the season so should see Championship football again next season. A disappointing result overall but here's to next year.

I agree Oz but think they might have gone down if they hadn't brought in Chris Hughton. Problem is CH's management style is safety first which isn't exciting to watch and is mid table at best.

• Like 1

When I first started watching Forest they were in what was the old second division Billy Walker was the manager.

Since the reign of Brian Clough 1975 to 1993 Forest have had 32 managers. I hope they regularly service the bearings on the revolving door at the entrance to the club. Maybe someone will realize that the recent problems lie with the players. They just cannot seem to score goals on a regular basis.

• Like 1

The sum total of my knowledge of football is that the ball is round, players kick it and are paid ridiculous amounts of money for doing so. There seems to be a bit of a kerfuffle about a super league being setup and even warranting a parliamentary statement. 

So what's the problem? Surely clubs can do as they please. Is the FA afraid of losing control? or am I missing the  point entirely>

Frankly Jim.. yes.. I think you are missing the point.  I too know bugger all about footie.. but I recognise corporate greed when I see it. The idea is to set up a league on similar lines to American sport..which is entirely a commercial enterprise...with no real 'hazard'.

It seems the vast majority of footie fans here are also appalled by the idea.  The whole point for them is the constant hazard.. will we get promoted..relegated? Will we win any silverware? etc. (Not my thing.. but 'Hey!')

Sadly.. I think those fans were left behind decades ago when clubs started to become effectively investments for wealthy people to play about with.

Also.. it seems that European footie is a Worldwide viewing phenomenon..for which people in..for e.g. the Far East..are prepared to pay... further sidelining the local fans.

It's the same old story.  The 'big' money will always identify an opportunity to make a buck and they don't care who or what they destroy in the process.

Johnson and his pretend 'down with the workers' crew are making all the right noises at present. but since they are running the most blatant kleptocracy since  Henry VIII appropriated the monastries ..I doubt the crooks will be stopped.

And the Drones will still keep voting to be screwed.

• Like 1

Do you really think football isn't a commercial enterprise now? Fans  are little more than cash cows to be milked for all they're worth.

Big money and dodgy deals have been endemic in the game for decades, why get are they getting all bent out of shape now? When the FA and corporate greed shafted the fans and took football off the telly years ago that, to my mind, is no different to the new proposal . 

A super league with European teams playing and pay per view... what's different?

I won't comment on the political jibe other than to say Dowden looked like a typical  pompous tit in his, badly read, parliamentary statement, ( he looked as as though he didn't believe a word of it).

• Like 1

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Don't know the names of any Forest or even many of the England players...let alone pronounce them...........Am i being Racist ? yes i;m afraid i am..if that means i want to see English/British players in our teams...

Long gone are the days when our grounds were packed with hard working men who took pride in their local teams........we took pride in first our street teams. and school sides..then the local area sides......

Look at em now........full of blokes with stupid haircuts hugging and kissing each other...and jumping up and down holding hands together all being paid a fortune for doing so.........Football has gone to the dogs.......and it can stay there.as far as i'm concerned............

• Like 6

Like you Ben I lost any real interest years ago and on the odd occasion it is on live TV here I don't usually bother to watch it. Still look how the local teams do though. What happened to the youth programs that many clubs had that found many world class local players. Many of these tattooed prima donnas are paid a fortune to sit on their arrises in the stand and do not produce any worthwhile results or indeed effort. The reason England could not win a raffle if there were more than two tickets is because there is no core player group from one club that they can build a team around. It is just a group of individuals that get together now and again to play internationals that they have little interest in. How about paying them a sensible basic salary and bonuses if they win, I'd bet they would change their attitude then. Wont be long before the game is Americanised with four quarters and time outs to allow more time for the betting barons to advertise their evil products.

• Like 3

As DJ360 comments, I quote, And the Drones will still keep voting to be screwed.

The drones (Punters) have been sleep walking for decades spending their money to watch obscene  over paid louts prance about the pitch like excited school girls.

As soon as the transfer fees started rising towards a million the end was, and is, nigh. 

I never was at all interested in the game. It was not too long before I saw the game for what it was and has become.

• Like 2

Just watched man city manager give his views on the controversy,, didn't understand a word he said!!! 

• Like 1

Jim.  I think I clearly stated that 'footie' was sold down the river decades ago.  As for the 'political jibe'.. I was referring to the electorate in general.. not just footie fans.  They are, IMHO Turkeys who keep voting for Christmas.  More in the politics thread.

However.. and 'Stop Press' ..some stuff I heard on Newsnight sounds like the whole project is already unravelling.. at least at the English end.

Maybe 'Yer average' English footie fan.. being hugely invested in the game.. and his/her club.. is more tuned in to the  'bent' aspects of the whole enterprise than we give them credit for?

If only we could get them to bring their analysis to bear on Govt... 

From what I've seen on TV they seem to be living in a time warp. "Created by the poor - stolen by the rich" was a slogan on more than one banner. Do they know it's 2021 not 1921?

The FA with profits of more than a billion proudly boats of giving loans  to clubs totalling £137 M... wow... I wondered why they scrapped the old Div 1 and created the Premiership.. well according to there own words it was to "take advantage of the lucrative deals offered by the TV companies for the television rights"

So basically it's OK for the FA to screw the fans by creating a local super league but when someone else wants to do it they get a bit narked!

Hypocrisy is alive and well and playing footie as well running the country...

Just had a look to see what it costs to see an EPL game these days. Crickey from 97 quid to see Arsenal, ManU and ManC in the fifties down to 36 quid to see Hull City.

I can't see the average joe being able to afford that every week.

• 3 months later...

The new season has not started well for the Reds 2 games, 2 losses. I remember years ago the recipe for doing well was win at home and draw away. I hope this is not the start of another struggle season.

Meanwhile back at Field Mill under Clough junior the Stags have started with two wins.

Perhaps all of these...

Harry Walker.........goalkeeper

Bill Whare

Geoff Thomas.....Full backs

Bill Morley

Horace Gager

Jack Burkitt.......Half backs...

Freddy Scott......Right wing

Tot Leverton.......Inside right

Wally Ardron.....Centre forward

Tommy Capel.....Inside left..

Colin Collindridge...Left wing......

Early 50s team.......Proper players...with ''Noggs' in their boots.....

If they carry on like this can't see Hughton lasting much longer . Negative tactics.

What does Carvalho have to do to get in the team ?  Scores two goals in the cup and then dropped , only to appear in the last few mins.

Man of the match in the cup Fornah , doesn't get a look in.

Half an hour to go against 10 men should have subbed some of defence for more attackers but no , still played the cautious game .

On 8/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Billy Walker.

He was the manager when I first started watching the Reds as a littl'un in the mid fifties. His goal scoring record for Aston Villa still stands to this day. According to my 1959 Football Annual he was the the first player to score a goal at Wembley Stadium.

• Like 1

Looks like Forest might be in for a difficult season again.
The Stags could have turned the corner with Clough Jnr. at the helm and Notts too might be on the up with their new manager. 
I don't think Rooney is the right man for Derby however.

Isn't it mad? Forest, Notts, Mansfield and Derby all appointed new managers last season.

A 2-1 home loss to Blackburn Rovers, looks like they will be greasing the bearings on the revolving door to the managers office again. This time there should be a total clearout of all those that are consistently underperforming, players, staff, board and manager. As I have said before there is something fundamentally wrong at the City Ground but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. They have not won in nine games and still struggle to score. It is going to be a hard season.

I admire your dedication from Adelaide, where I stand it was toxic, the clubs rancid the fans are just as bad, owners no where to be seen, no financial pot to piss in, fast tracking youngsters who are not good enough, persisting with players who are shite, negative manager, but the early doors in The TBI & later in The Embankment with my little gang of mates, bumping into people I’ve know for years makes it all worthwhile, sure I speak for most Forest lads the football comes second? 

• Like 1