All going wrong

15 hours ago, Mess said:

You never know Notts might be the top dogs again in Nottinghamshire football in a few years time. I live in hope but seriously wish the others well or there'll be no one left for Notts to play.

Has anyone noticed how often clubs that have sacked their managers win the game afterwards, as in the case of Forest yesterday.

"Local" club comments..... it is still early days yet.

Forest, hope they can continue to get a few wins and steer well clear of the threat of relegation, still need some strikers

County, I truly hope that they win the league and get the automatic promotion spot.

Stags, hope their form slump is only temporary

Chesterfield, it would be good if they too could reclaim their EFL place but not at the expense of County.

Doncaster, struggling at the wrong end of league 1

Derby, no more to say other than I hope no one entertains Rooney as the next Forest manager

Lincoln, pride of the East Midlands at the moment even though they are only 17th in div 1 and only 4 points clear of Doncaster.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Has anyone noticed how often clubs that have sacked their managers win the game afterwards, as in the case of Forest yesterday.

"Local" club comments..... it is still early days yet.

Forest, hope they can continue to get a few wins and steer well clear of the threat of relegation, still need some strikers

County, I truly hope that they win the league and get the automatic promotion spot.

Stags, hope their form slump is only temporary

Chesterfield, it would be good if they too could reclaim their EFL place but not at the expense of County.

Doncaster, struggling at the wrong end of league 1

Derby, no more to say other than I hope no one entertains Rooney as the next Forest manager

Lincoln, pride of the East Midlands at the moment even though they are only 17th in div 1 and only 4 points clear of Doncaster.

Yes Oz, football's a funny old game. I didn't expect Forest to win yesterday especially away from home. I did think Derby might spring a surprise though. Should have had a flutter.

Talking of local clubs I'm sure you remember the Thomas Henry characters across the top of the front page of The Football Post which included all the teams you mention with the exception of Doncaster.

I have some old Post Football Guides from the 1920s and 30s and the Sheffield clubs get included as well.

My pride and joy is a PFG from 1915 which is an absolutely fascinating read.

Just watched the tribute to Jimmy Greaves on the Beeb... can you imagine today's prima donnas playing on pitches like that?

11 hours ago, Mess said:

I'm sure you remember the Thomas Henry characters across the top of the front page of The Football Post which included all the teams you mention with the exception of Doncaster.

Mess, I used to deliver the Football Post and the Football News on a Saturday evening in the early 60s and I must have looked at thousands of papers but I can't recall those figures, where they around then? Those old guides must be fascinating, can you post a couple of photos please.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mess said:

..... I'm sure you remember the Thomas Henry characters across the top of the front page of The Football Post.

I'm not sure who sketched those but the father of my childhood playmates at Mapperley did sketches for the Football Post certainly in the 50s .

He was called Ted Duncan and his sketches seemed to be of the amateur local matches rather than the bigger league teams . 

• Like 1

For the last few months ITV4 (Freeview ch 25) have been showing old football matches at 6pm every weekday evening. I've watched quite a few; an interesting burst of nostalgia.

Today, the featured match - running about 30 mins - was Spurs v Forest from October 79. 

Forest lost 1-0.  One of the Spurs defenders was Chris Hughton.

It's repeated at 12.20 tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yes just watched it . Forest sunk by a (young) Chris Hoddle thunderbolt . Also in Spurs team were the Argentine duo of Ardeles and Villa.

I know it was only highlights but Forest hardly got a look-in and yet were still 2nd in the league behind Man U.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:14 AM, Oztalgian said:

Mess, I used to deliver the Football Post and the Football News on a Saturday evening in the early 60s and I must have looked at thousands of papers but I can't recall those figures, where they around then? Those old guides must be fascinating, can you post a couple of photos please.

Oz, In common with many others on here I'm finding it very difficult to post images and even links on this site nowadays.

The characters I referred to can be seen if you do an image search on Google for Nottingham Football Post. It should bring up a picture of said newspaper for May 1959 when Forest won the FA Cup. I do wonder when the FP stopped using the characters across the top of the paper.

3 hours ago, Mess said:

I do wonder when the FP stopped using the characters across the top of the paper.

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just for our Colonial cousin, Oz. This is for you. Cheers.

Thanks guys, as I said I delivered the football papers from around 1962 and can't ever recall the characters on the banner.

Like Mess I am now fascinated as to when they were phased out.

More investigations needed.

3 hours ago, denshaw said:

Any relation to Tommy?

Tommy Cooper was Welsh so you never know. Let's hope Steve is a magician too.

Not watched them that much but thought that Swansea had been quite an entertaining side under Cooper but a few of their fans seem to have had the opposite view .

Seems he had a similar cautious,  defensive system to Hughton and only got to play-off positions because of the form of striker Ayew (who has since left the club).

Hopefully Cooper will have a more attacking mindset at Forest.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange weekend for the local teams.

Magpies hammered 4-1 at home by Woking Just in a play off position. Crowds in the 5-6,000 more than the Stags are getting.

Stags beaten at home again 1-0 by Barrow now hovering in the relegation zone. What has gone wrong?

Forest slowly climbing away from danger with two solid away wins and scored goals. Lets hope it continues!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oz,

Yep it looks like Steve Cooper has got the players on side and they're performing to their potentialat at last. I think Chris Hughton was happy to take the payoff at the end. Hard to work out why it went wrong for him. His track record was quite good but it soon went downhill for him.

Nigel Clough's good start has quickly fallen apart. Again his track record is good but he can't seem to make it happen with the Stags currently. I fear his public criticism of some of his players hasn't worked. Bit too early to talk about relegation but if they're still stuck at the bottom by Christmas they may be joining Notts in non league.

Notts seem to have slipped back after a very good start. Like Mansfield they've had a few unfortunate injuries of late so I hope they come good again. I rate the management team but the National League is notoriously hard to get out of. Interestingly Neal Ardley is doing a good job at Solihull.

I thought Lincoln might struggle this season but they seem to have settled and may yet make the playoffs.

• Like 1