All going wrong

County - After going behind 0-2 in the first half, a second half brace by Aden Baldwin and a last gasp goal by Jodi Jones sees the Maggies into the final against "local" team Chesterfield at Wembley Stadium next Saturday. It is going to be a tough one. One big last effort needed, "Come on you Maggies"

Stags - Even if they can win well away against Colchester today it looks like goal difference may well prevent them from getting into the play-offs unless Leyton Orient really thump Bradford City. I cant see any of the other teams being beaten by enough goals to make a difference to the Stags

Forest - Their survival in the EPL is probably on the line in tonight's 8:30 pm City Ground kick off.

• Like 2
  • Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Posted Images

Stags - Despite winning 0-2 at Colchester United, Salford City only conceded one goal in their defeat at the hands of Gillingham means Stags miss out on the play-offs by only two goals. It just shows how vital every goal you score and concede is. Their form slump at the end of the season has proved costly.

Forest - Scramble out of the relegation zone in a 7 goal thriller by beating Southampton 4-3 in front of 29,000 fans at the city ground last night. Taiwo Awoniyi scored for the Reds in the 18th minute and again in the 21st. Southampton scored in the 26th minute making the first half hour exciting. Forest moved further ahead with a penalty in the dying minutes of the  first half. Southampton pulled one back early in the second half only for the Reds to increase their lead in the 73rd minute. Southampton scored a penalty in the last minute of regular time to end the thriller. There were some strange results among their fellow strugglers, Everton won 1-5 away at Brighton and Fulham did us a favour by beating Leicester 5-3. Away at Chelsea on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really surprised the Radfords have decided to give Nigel Clough another year. I read somewhere they believe he has made progress with the team yet if I'm not mistaken The Stags made the playoffs last season whereas this season they've just missed out. So where's the progress? I don't get it. 
I know full well it's none of my business how the Radfords spend their money but I will be very surprised if NC can bring success to The Stags next season unless he spends big in the summer.

NC is nowhere near as good a manager as his dad but to be brutally honest his dad only really achieved when he had Peter Taylor as his sidekick.

• Like 3

It was written in the stars.

Not at our best but what a performance.

The goalkeeper substitution just before the penalty shootout was inspired but there's no doubt that was the plan and it was executed to perfection.

Notts superior fitness paid back in spades. Chesterfield were dead on their feet at the end.

Bad luck Chessie. Jason sorted it for us.

Luke Williams is going to be up there with Sir Jimmy.

We're back.

COYP.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

County - Apart from the fifth minute goal it all happened in the last ten minutes of normal time, extra time and finally penalties to see the Magpies back in the EFL. They came back from the dead scoring in the 88th minute after the Spireites must have thought they had got it won. Goals for both sides in extra time saw the game decided in Notts favour by penalties. A just reward even though they finished in second place they were 23 points above third placed Chesterfield but in the end it came down to penalties, a terrible way to decide a match. Strangely the crowd was only 38,000, I thought that there would be more than that. COME ON YOU MAGGIES  back where they belong.

Forest - Braces by Raheem Sterling for Chelsea and Taiwo Awoniyi for Forest saw the game end 2-2, a creditable away point for the Reds in their fight for survival. Forest held a 1-0 lead until early in the second half when Chelsea scored twice but the Reds fought back to earn a vital point. With Southampton now being confirmed as relegated Forest fight is now with Leicester, Everton who currently have games in hand and Leeds. We can hope that Manchester city beat Everton and Liverpool beat Leicester in the next two days to help Forest's chances of survival. Home against Arsenal in a LKO next Saturday.

• Like 2

Everyone was a hero yesterday, it was clearly meant to be.

Great credit has to go to Luke William's and Ryan Harley's tactics.

Many times this season Notts have worn out teams by keeping the ball thus forcing the opposition to chase after it.

Yesterday Cook had to substitute Dallas, Colclough and Dobra because they were all knackered. I would guess these three were also decent penalty takers but that's not to take anything away from Archie Mair's brilliant performance in the shoot out.

I highlighted the inspired goalkeeper substitution in my earlier post.

Luke knows and has said that Sam Slocombe is an excellent shot stopper but the simple fact is that he has never saved a penalty whilst playing for Notts whereas Archie has. It was that switch that won the game IMHO.

Finally, Notts superior fitness was another huge factor in the outcome. I don't think I saw one Notts player go down with cramp towards the end. Great credit to the training regime put in place by Luke & Ryan.

You Pies, we're back.

• Like 6

Liverpool helped Forest's cause by beating the Foxes 0-3 at Filbert Street last night. The Reds are now 3 points clear of the drop zone but face a difficult game at home against Arsenal whose bid for the title looks all but gone following their

0-3 home loss to Brighton on Saturday. It remains to be seen how this affects their performance against Forest.

4 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Like many Forest fans, I was happy to see Notts get promoted.

Until I heard the video of what County fans said outside their ground.

You get yobbish football fans of every team, particularly when there happens to be two well-known teams in the same city but I really do think that Notts and Forest supporters generally respect each other.  However, football supporters could learn much from the way Rugby Union fans conduct themselves at games.  

Interesting comment LizzieM. Here in OZ among AFL, Rugby Union and Rugby League supporters there are only occasional problems but even here with football (soccer) supporters it seems to be a regular occurrence. Wonder why that is, is football more tribal or is there another reason?

15 hours ago, Rob.L said:

https://twitter.com/aidanalec1/status/1657832812026687488?s=61&t=9spcOYMlDTUTsOFBtF1v1Q

As a Notts fan I agree it was an unnecessary chant but I believe it came about because one of the Notts office staff who is a staunch Redneck was close to the bus and it was just a bit of fun. Lots of emotion and beer flowing at the time. Still looks bad though.

I think this season has seen the best relations between Notts and Forest fans for years and years. Probably because with Notts in the National League and Forest in the Premiership the gap between them has never been so wide and Forest fans haven't viewed Notts as a threat.

I think the attached graph is really interesting.
Look how quickly the gap closed between 1967 and 1975.

I wonder what it will look like in a few years time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_derby#/media/File:Trentside_Derby_Performance.svg

Forest goalkeeper Ethan Horvath is off to Wembley for the Championship playoff for the second time in two seasons, this time with Luton, where he is on loan.

And if Coventry beat Middlesbrough and get to Wembley as well, it’s possible that another Forest loanee, Jonathan Panzo, will be up against him.

20 hours ago, Rob.L said:

https://twitter.com/aidanalec1/status/1657832812026687488?s=61&t=9spcOYMlDTUTsOFBtF1v1Q

Same here

Forest - 29,514 City Ground fans saw Forest beat Arsenal 1-0, ensure their EPL survival and give Manchester City the premiership. Forest through Awoniyi scored in the 20th minute and managed to hold on to that lead despite the match being very one sided in Arsenal's favour. Having ensured survival now comes the task of rebuilding for next season and the most urgent is ensuring that they get a striker that can regularly find the net. The defence needs strengthening too. I wonder how many of the players that were bought in the after promotion cash splash will survive the necessary cull. I suggest not too many. The season draws to a close with the fairytale ending I had hoped for, County back in the EFL and Forest survive in the EPL. The last game for the Reds is away at Crystal Palace next Sunday, now all that remains is to see who goes down along with Southampton, any bets?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Having ensured survival now comes the task of rebuilding for next season and the most urgent is ensuring that they get a striker that can regularly find the net. The defence needs strengthening too. 

Think Forest will need a goalie too.  What about Pickford if Everton go down?!

38 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Think Forest will need a goalie too.  What about Pickford if Everton go down?!

From afar and mostly listening to the matches on the steam radio it is difficult to judge the competency of the goalkeeper of any team as the commentary is focused on the outfield players and the 'keeper is only mentioned when he makes a blinding save. The stuff he does quietly, gathers in the crosses or distribution of the ball, let alone his positional skills when placed in a one-on-one situation barely rates a mention. I'll leave that to those that see it first-hand but you could well be right Lizzie, there is much thinking and analysis to be done before we kick off season 2023/24 let alone finish this season.

I'll throw in another point, does Cooper need to change his on-field strategy and his use of substitutes.

I hope that one day I'll be able to make one last visit to see the Reds in the Premier League before the grim reaper catches me as he is chasing me down the touchline, a fair way back (I hope) at the moment but slowly catching up.

How does one go about getting a ticket as it seems that all the recent games are sell-outs? Are some reserved for those of us who may have come a long way for one last pilgrimage? Not forgetting a Nottstalgia meet-up too.

A fantastic win for Forest yesterday

Steve Cooper got his game plan spot on. It wasn't pretty to watch but it was certainly effective. The possession stats say it all. Arsenal had 82% but were closed down time and time again as Forest put 10 men behind the ball and fought like terriers to smother the Arsenal build up.

3 shots on target for Forest and 1 went in to win the game.

Forest would benefit next season from a couple more like Gibbs White who was easily man of the match. His speed and skill were what Arsenal were lacking who never looked like a title winning team.

Laugh if you want but the way Forest played yesterday was very reminiscent of several teams who visited Meadow Lane this season. Park the bus and try and snatch a goal on the counter.

I never seen Forest do it at home but yesterday Arsenal could have played until midnight and still not scored.

Ryan Yates is one hell of a defender and home grown too.

Hats off then to Steve Copper who always seems to delivers at the death. I think it's the first time this season that I've seen Marinakis smile.

How Forest got into such a mess this season has got to be down to  the daft and very expensive recruitment policy. I predict a huge clear out and rebuild.

So pleased for the fans who've been loud and proud all season. 

• Like 1

If it wasn’t for the fact that his team have the best defensive record in Ligue 1, conceding the fewest goals, currently lie second behind PSG, and have qualified for the Champions League, I’d suggest Forest go after the goalie for French club Lens.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, Rob.L said:

If it wasn’t for the fact that his team have the best defensive record in Ligue 1, conceding the fewest goals, currently lie second behind PSG, and have qualified for the Champions League, I’d suggest Forest go after the goalie for French club Lens.

His name escapes me right now!

As the final whistle has all but blown on league games for season 2022/23 I thought I would add my thoughts for next season.

One play off to be decided

Forest - After taking the lead in the 31st minute with a Taiwo Owoniyi goal they conceded an equaliser midway through the second half to come away from Crystal Palace with a 1-1 draw. Obviously there is a need for a major restructure to ensure progress next season. A goalscorer is a must and some have said a new goalie is needed. Many of the players signed upon promotion will have to go as they have not performed so a fire sale is on the cards.

County - Back in the EFL, fantastic, and I think the current team is well equipped to consolidate itself in Division 2. They may need to add to the current squad but I don't see any major weaknesses. Not sure what will happen if "that man" leaves.

Stags - Looked like definite promotion hopefuls and certain play off participants but patchy end of season form caused them to miss out on the play offs. Clough has signed on again and will need to strengthen the squad and become more consistent to challenge for promotion next season. The local derbies with Notts will be interesting.

Some one line comments on other "local" teams (In alphabetical order)

Chesterfield - County pipped them in a play off final, should be a promotion contender next season.

Derby - Missed out on a play off spot, should be in the mix for promotion next season.

Doncaster - Lower third of table, conceded a lot of goals, could struggle next year

Leicester - Relegated from EPL may struggle in the Championship

Lincoln - Eleventh placed finish with zero goal difference suggests mid table next year

Sheffield United - Automatically promoted to EPL, will consolidate and look to a mid table position.

Sheffield Wednesday - Play Barnsley in a play off final tonight, if promoted, should do OK in the Championship.

• Like 1