All going wrong

Sheffield Wednesday - Win the play off final 1-0 against Barnsley and are now promoted to the Championship. A last gasp goal in extra time and after two controversial VAR decisions that went against Barnsley ended up making it a good year for both Sheffield clubs.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Getting rid of a few surplus high-earners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65789316

Good start but I'm surprised they haven't let more go.

I suspect they'll bring in even more to replace them and it'll be last season all over again.

Attempted to listen to the Cup Final on the steam radio last night. We live in a fringe area for reception on the station that was broadcasting the final so we had all the atmospherics reminiscent of Radio Luxembourg in the 60s. To top it all after listening to Abide with Me (with a tear in my eye) our ABC (BBC) cut to a news bulletin at 11:30pm our time? so I missed the kick off and the first goal.

When looking at the players that took the field for yesterday's FA Cup final I think you can see one of the reasons why England have been so poor in their performances in the European and World Cups. Yes, I know they got to the semi in the European cup but not winning was a failure. Of the 22 who took to the field at the start of the game 7 were born in England the remaining 15 were from ten different countries. If you take into account the named substitutes, whether they played or not, then the total is 14 English born out of 40. With a total of 15 countries of birth. Is this high proportion of foreign born players at the elite level good for the development and performance of the England squad? I think not. Also interesting was the fact that not one player was born in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, one, Scott McTominay plays for Scotland but was born in England. Should we be limiting the amount of foreign born players each team can field or would this reduce the skills and spectator interest for the worldwide TV audience which actually allows the players to be paid silly money.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Arsenal host Forest in an early kick off for the first game of season 2023/24

Forest also take on both Manchester clubs and Chelsea in their first six games in what could be a difficult start to the new season. First home game is against newly promoted Sheffield United on 19 August in a 3:00pm kick off.

County and Stags will have to wait until 22 June to find out how their seasons start.

County - Kick off their return to the EFL away at Sutton United on August 5th First home game is against Grimsby Town on 12 August. They have to wait until 15th October for the home derby game against the Stags

Stags - Resume their quest for promotion away at Crewe Alexandra. Stags first home game is against Morecambe. Mansfield's home derby against County is not until Feb 4th 2024

• 1 month later...

County - It certainly went wrong for County on their return to the English Football League by going down 5-1 in an away game at Sutton United looked on by 4,00 fans. Sutton opened the scoring in the second minute and scored regularly after the Magpies had their goalkeeper Aiden Stone sent off in the fifteenth minute for bringing down Sutton's Kashket after he pounced on a bad backpass. David McGoldrick scored a late consolation goal from a pass by "that man". The hammering leaves them at the bottom of the league table after the first game. Early days yet, but it was a rude welcome back to league football. Home next week against Grimsby. Wrexham are the bookies favourite to win Division Two but they lost    3-5 at home to Milton Keynes Dons. The pundits are also predicting County will be involved in the promotion chase too.

Stags - 5,500 fans saw the Stags take a 2-0 lead in the first quarter of the game with a brace from Davis Keillor-Dunn. Crewe pulled one back to be trailing 1-2 at half time. Crewe's Calum Macdonald was sent off in the 58th minute and only two minutes later Crewe equalised. In all Crewe had four players booked and one sent off, the Stags recorded two bookings. The Stags kick off their home season next Saturday against Morecambe. The bookies are picking them for a top seven finish.

County - Has the magic of last season gone? the Magpies lose 0-2 at home to the Imps in the first round of the Carabao Cup in front of just short of 6,500 fans at Meadow Lane. A goal in each half was enough for Lincoln to take the victory.

Grimsby at home on Saturday as the EFL returns to Meadow Lane. Ah tha gooin dahn then?

Stags - Beat Counties Saturday opponents, Grimsby 2-0 at Field Mill in front of a paltry crowd of 3,123. A goal in each half clinched it. Morecambe kick-off the home season on Saturday.

Oz, I can't say I'm happy with Notts start to the new season either.

I comfort myself because our first game back in the EFL was away against a team of giants who are renowned for bullying their opponents. 
I thought we might get a draw last night against L1 Lincoln but according to reports we just didn't turn up.

Saturday is going to be telling. We certainly owe Grimsby one after the playoffs two seasons ago so I really hope we can return to winning ways before too long.

I thought Notts were going off the boil towards the end of last season but they managed to win the playoffs, just.

I'm starting to think that Notts training regime might be too intense.

Notts were much fitter than a lot of their opponents last season but I worry it's been overdone now and they're below par come matchdays. Time will tell.

Luke Williams and his staff are a very switched on team and I have every confidence they'll come good quite soon.

• Like 1

What about The Florists? The pre season has been less than inspiring with them only getting a win against Levante and getting thumped 5-0 by Rennes. More importantly they failed to score in 5 of their 6 pre season games (not counting the friendly against the Magpies) Goalscoring was one of their main failings last season and I don't see a striker coming through the ranks or via a transfer. It will be a difficult start to the season as four of their first seven games are away against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City. Forest fans will have to hold the faith and hope for a less stressful year.

I've supported Notts since 1959 so it's hard for me to be objective about Forest but as Oz has already said their preseason has been rather uninspiring and their opening fixtures are now looking very daunting. A draw at Arsenal on Saturday would be an excellent and unexpected result. A convincing win for The Gunners seems the most likely outcome but last season Forest secured several very unexpected results so you never know.

Perhaps the most worrying aspect of Forest's preseason has been their inability to attract new signings. Rumours persist about them not paying players their bonuses last season so it's no surprise that prospective new signings have been put off.

Mansfield have had a decent start and whilst it's very early days their preseason performances suggest they are in for a good season.

Derby have been disappointing so far and like Notts are desperate to get a win on the board and move on from a poor start.

Lets see what Saturday brings with all the local clubs in action.

• Like 1

First full report for the new season.

County - Almost 13,000 faithful made the trek to Meadow Lane. Well done Maggies fans. Grimsby took the lead in the 17th minute and then three goals in the 5 minutes either side of half time time enlivened the game. County finally scored the winner in the 62nd minute for their first win in return to the EFL. Away at Morecambe on Tuesday evening and then again at Doncaster on Saturday.

Stags - In front of 6,700 fans they were never troubled in a comfortable 3-0 home win against Morecambe. Three different goal scorers got on to the scoresheet which is a positive. Away at Doncaster on Tuesday and then at Grimsby on Saturday. Interesting that they seem to be playing pretty much the same teams as County at this stage in the season.

Forest - I never thought I would say this but a creditable loss away to Arsenal 2-1. Arsenal scored twice midway through the first half a but Awoniyi pulled one back 9 minutes after coming on as a substitute in the 71st minute. Home against newly promoted Sheffield United on Friday evening, surely two points in the offing.

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

First full report for the new season.

County - Almost 13,000 faithful made the trek to Meadow Lane. Well done Maggies fans. Grimsby took the lead in the 17th minute and then three goals in the 5 minutes either side of half time time enlivened the game. County finally scored the winner in the 62nd minute for their first win in return to the EFL. Away at Morecambe on Tuesday evening and then again at Doncaster on Saturday.

Stags - In front of 6,700 fans they were never troubled in a comfortable 3-0 home win against Morecambe. Three different goal scorers got on to the scoresheet which is a positive. Away at Doncaster on Tuesday and then at Grimsby on Saturday. Interesting that they seem to be playing pretty much the same teams as County at this stage in the season.

Forest - I never thought I would say this but a creditable loss away to Arsenal 2-1. Arsenal scored twice midway through the first half a but Awoniyi pulled one back 9 minutes after coming on as a substitute in the 71st minute. Home against newly promoted Sheffield United on Friday evening, surely two points in the offing.

Good summary Oz but you forgot about Derby's excellent 3-0 win at Burton. I have an inkling Derby might make the playoffs at least this season.
The Stags softened up The Shrimps for Notts visit on Tuesday with a good win. Mansfield have started well and are flying high at the moment.

Notts performance yesterday was so much better. Another win on Tuesday should be achievable now.

I watched Forest on Sky yesterday and they could have had a very creditable draw if Mr Cooper had set up to attack The Gunners earlier in the game. Cooper has achieved a lot but if he continues to rely on defending and hitting teams on the break then Forest are in for another long hard season. He has to change his tactics or he'll be gone by Christmas. Mr Marinakis will definitely not be up for another relegation battle.

County drew 0-0 away at Morecambe in what appears to be a lackluster game in front of only 3.800 fans. Has "that man" lost his sparkle or is he carrying an injury? Away for a "local" derby at Doncaster on Saturday.

Stags drew 2-2 away at Doncaster coming from behind both times to remain unbeaten for this season. Away at Grimsby on Saturday.

Foresst - A last minute headed goal by Chris Wood, after coming on 4 minutes earlier as a substitute, gains Forest a 2-1 home win against EPL newcomers Sheffield United. One of the high points was one minutes applause to remember Trevor Francis and Chris Bart-Williams who both died last month.

The game was played in pouring rain and Forest got off to a fine start with a third minute goal from Taiwo Awoniyi. The blades equalised just after half time. United gave Forest a difficult time in the second half and could have easily taken the lead. Five Yellow cards were issued during the game!

County - That man Macauley Langstaff bags a brace as County win the "local" derby away against Doncaster 1-3.

Doncaster only getting a consolation goal in the last minute. I wonder how many of the 8,500 fans made the trip up the A614 from Nottingham? 9th in the table, one point above the Stags. Home against Tranmere next Saturday.

Stags - A 1-1 draw away to the Mariners in front of 7,100 fans again I wonder how many from Mansfield had a day out at the seaside? Two goals separated by just short of an hours play in a game which had no yellow cards. Is this unusual these days? Home against Stockport next Saturday.

9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

County - That man Macauley Langstaff bags a brace as County win the "local" derby away against Doncaster 1-3.

Doncaster only getting a consolation goal in the last minute. I wonder how many of the 8,500 fans made the trip up the A614 from Nottingham? 9th in the table, one point above the Stags. Home against Tranmere next Saturday.

Stags - A 1-1 draw away to the Mariners in front of 7,100 fans again I wonder how many from Mansfield had a day out at the seaside? Two goals separated by just short of an hours play in a game which had no yellow cards. Is this unusual these days? Home against Stockport next Saturday.

Notts have put their opening day nightmare nicely behind them and have now taken 7 points out of 9 in their last three games.

Their win at Doncaster yesterday was full of good performances apart from the silly goal with almost the last kick of the game.

The Notts following continues to grow with just over 2700 fans heading North to support their heroes and what a noise they made.

Luke Williams spoke very highly of them after the game in which Macca nearly had a hat trick and Jodi Jones, Dan Crowley, John Bostock, Matt Palmer, David McGoldrick and Sam Austin all looked good.

3 of Notts first 4 games back in the EFL have been away so coming back after their drubbing at Sutton shows immense character IMHO.

The Stags seem to have lost a bit of their early momentum but like Notts, 3 out of their first 4 EFL games have been away and they remain unbeaten so they've had a decent start too.

Derby managed a second win and are moving up the table.

Forest's last gasp win on Friday was welcome but lacklustre. Mr Marinakis has announced he wants the Reds to become a top 10 Premier League club. That looks a long way off with the current set up. He's got money but top players still seem reluctant to come on board. Sorry to say but I can only see Forest finishing in the bottom third at best with Steve Cooper as manager. His tactics are just too safety first or should I say negative?

County - Move into 4th place with a comfortable 2-1 home win over Tranmere Rovers in front of just over 10,000 fans. Tranmere's goal was a bit of a consolation effort coming in the 88th minute after goals in each half from the Magpies which set up the win. Home to 3rd placed Accrington Stanley next Saturday. It will be a good test for the Maggies.

Stags - After being 1-2 down at half time to Stockport County Davis Keillor-Dunn bagged a brace to give Stags the points and leave them in 7th place, 1 point behind County. 7,500 fans turned out to watch and saw a 5 goal match with the Stags only clinching it 10 minutes from the end. Away in a "local" derby against Sheffield Wednesday in the Caraboa Cup and then home against Bradford City on Saturday.

Forest - Should have won this one, shocking United and the 73,500 crowd by going 2 goals up in the first five minutes. The first again by Taiwo Awoniyi giving him three goals in three appearances. Forest should have had three just before half time but Gibbs-White failed to convert. It took a 76th minute penalty to beat Forest even after Worral had been sent off 9 minutes earlier. It was a game that saw each team get four yellow cards and Forest a red and even though they won left the United fans calling for the sacking of Ten Hag. This was one that got away and should have resulted in at least a point. On the upside it is looking far more encouraging than at the same time last season and leaves them in 14th place with a much improved goal difference than last year. Home against Burnley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night and then away against Chelsea on Saturday.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

County - Move into 4th place with a comfortable 2-1 home win over Tranmere Rovers in front of just over 10,000 fans. Tranmere's goal was a bit of a consolation effort coming in the 88th minute after goals in each half from the Magpies which set up the win. Home to 3rd placed Accrington Stanley next Saturday. It will be a good test for the Maggies.

Stags - After being 1-2 down at half time to Stockport County Davis Keillor-Dunn bagged a brace to give Stags the points and leave them in 7th place, 1 point behind County. 7,500 fans turned out to watch and saw a 5 goal match with the Stags only clinching it 10 minutes from the end. Away in a "local" derby against Sheffield Wednesday in the Caraboa Cup and then home against Bradford City on Saturday.

Forest - Should have won this one, shocking United and the 73,500 crowd by going 2 goals up in the first five minutes. The first again by Taiwo Awoniyi giving him three goals in three appearances. Forest should have had three just before half time but Gibbs-White failed to convert. It took a 76th minute penalty to beat Forest even after Worral had been sent off 9 minutes earlier. It was a game that saw each team get four yellow cards and Forest a red and even though they won left the United fans calling for the sacking of Ten Hag. This was one that got away and should have resulted in at least a point. On the upside it is looking far more encouraging than at the same time last season and leaves them in 14th place with a much improved goal difference than last year. Home against Burnley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night and then away against Chelsea on Saturday.

Notts have bounced back in style after their opening day debacle. They still have issues with their defence but going forward they are formidable. Moving Brindley into a central defence position has made a big difference so here's hoping we can start to record some clean sheets. My dear late dad was a big Notts fan and he used to tell me when Lawton and Sewell played for them in the late 40s that they didn't worry about their defensive frailties they would simply score more.

Perhaps the Kop needs to sing Vindaloo “We're going to score one more than you” or preferably two or three more than you.

Speaking of the Kop it would seem they've taken a lesson from the Forest fans and really cranked up the volume of late. I had to smile when they sang “we've got the ball” yesterday. It should become a feature with Notts's possessive style of play now so well established.

Over 10,000 in Meadow Lane yesterday to see Notts climb into 4th place. The Bookies have got the Pies as favourites for the title. Flattering but there's still a long way to go.

I thought Forest were going to record a great win at Old Trafford yesterday. They roared into an early 2-0 lead but lost out in the end to some questionable refereeing.

As a Notts fan I find it hard to be complimentary about Mansfield but they've also started well and remain unbeaten.

I think as a Forest fan Oz feels the same about Derby.

Historically there's little rivalry between Notts and The Rams but to Forest of course they are (or maybe were) the fiercest of rivals.

I think Derby are going up this season. They have started to click and yesterday saw them impressively dispense with Peterborough.

Finally Ruben Rodrigues's new club Oxford United now top L1. which surprised me. Nearly every Notts supporter loved Ruben so are delighted Oxford are doing so well.

Next Saturday Notts face Accrington. A win will take them up a place to at least 3rd and if MK Dons and Gillingham falter the mighty Pies could top the table on Saturday evening. Wow.

COYP

• Like 1

Stags - Beat bottom of the Championship side Sheffield Wednesday 5-4 on penalties after getting the equaliser in the last five minutes of normal time to take it to the shoot-out. Stags 'keeper Chrysty Pym was their "hero", he kept them in the game by making several saves in normal time and then saved two shots in the shoot out.

Forest - Play Burnley at home in the Carabao cup tonight. Burnley lost at home 1-3 to Aston Villa and yet to register a point in the EPL

Forest - 27, 776 fans saw a last minute goal by Burnley's Zeki Amdouni dump Forest out of the second round of the Carabao cup at the city ground last night. There was a minutes applause before the game to remember police officer Sergeant Graham Saville who has died from injuries after being hit by a train last week whilst trying to save a distressed man on the railway tracks at Newark. He was the uncle of Forest defender Joe Worrall.

Forest are away at Chelsea on Saturday and then home to Burnley again in the EPL on Monday 18th.

Just read in ''The Sun''.....about Forest targets etc in the transfer market....names that cropped up were.....

Hudson-Odul .

Nuno Tavares

Odyseas Vlachodimos

Michy Batshuay

Nico Dominguez

to say nothing of Remo Freuler

Might even start going down the City Ground again......to marvel at these stars

Thought there might be the odd Smith..Green...Palmer...Churchill...Moore...or even a Brown ?............silly me thought we were in England......

• Like 2