It's only a matter of time before Hucknall runs into Watnall. Helping this to happen is the building of housing on Hucknall airfield. These two photographs were taken by friend Mick Rowley on December 11th. They show the housing and the alteration to Watnall Road to serve them. The other photo shows the alteration to the Hucknall bypass to include an island from which is the future road into the Rolls-Royce site and a business park.

Edit: Note the old Great Central Railway line running left to right across the lower picture.

Hucknall%20airfield%20dev%202_zpstyeowlf

Hucknall%20airfiled%20dev%201_zpscuaossn

• Upvote 4
20 hours ago, Chulla said:

Edit: Note the old Great Central Railway line running left to right across the lower picture.

and Chulla the former Bennerley line,

Hucknall%20airfiled%20dev%201_zpscuaossn

Malc, yes that's him, Was with him yesterday.

notty ash. Yes, it is closer to Bulwell, but the housing is creeping westward to Watnall.

Wonder how long it will be before some bright spark decides it would be a good idea to link the new industrial estate to the one at Blenheim?. That is always assuming it is not already in the pipeline and people are just keeping quiet. Never trust planners, they will always tell you their idea is what you need. The fact that you know you don't need it and don't want it doesn't make any difference.

Almost there now Woody.........daft thing is some places have been built a few years now and are still empty..............

I drove along Watnall road from Hucknall towards Kimberley today, I noticed that the sign for Watnall is the Hucknall side of the motorway, so I would assume that part of the development is going to be part of Broxtowe councils area.

I would imagine that there will be plans to build on the old Moorgreen showground, so taking Watnall closer to Hucknall.

• 6 months later...

I grew up in Hucknall in the 50/60's, the town now is unrecognisable.......

It would only take Tesco and Wilkinsons to pull out and the place would be dead. No criticism of the other traders but there is nothing to pull shoppers in to the town. Ashfield council have done the town no favours with parking charges and lack of interest, instead concentrating on Sutton. Bulwell and Arnold seem to attract shoppers without much problem and have plenty of choice of outlets. If nothing is done soon Hucknall will simply become a dormitory town.

• 5 years later...

Woody you are on about Jackos, the program was based on Jackos  so the story is told. When he finally retired he lived opposite me, I often gave him some vegetables from my garden and you could guarantee the next day he would bring me some cakes he said he baked, he didn’t want to be in anybody’s debt. He was straight as a die , often chatted to him and his wife and had to laugh at stories he told us. Every body in Hucknall knew where Jackos was and whatever time it was he would be open. 

That was Frank, never miss an opportunity to relieve a customer of his money but as you say he was as straight as a die. Quite often when I dropped in on a Friday tea time he would ask me if I would drop something off for him on my way home to a customer who had phoned him. I never needed to go out of my way but Frank didn't expect it done for nothing and there was always something extra in my box. Certainly one of life's characters, the like of which we will not see again.

Just watched u-tube vidio   I found it very interesting .

Moved to Hucknall in middle 70s had the salon on Ruffs both my boys went to Holgate, When we first went there a client came into the salon and said "if the people of Ruffs accept  you  they will be friendly if not they will let you know"   We were made welcome next door to us was the chippy Tony was the chef assisted by Jean and they had a boy and girl  Whyne and Larner made friends with the boys. There was a butchers John Allison was the man, when he sold up the butchers was taken over by Kev (we had a few snow-ball fights in winter) at the end was a general store run by Mrs W? . Then taken over by Zeana and Rodger. with two yorkies (dogs) and two girls. We had a wonderful life on Ruffs. Lots of good things but also lots of tragedies which are too sad to mention.

I also was one of the Protested against the BY_PASS this was built to take the pit lorries off the roads in Hucknall, but buy the time it had been built the Pits had been closed down. I protested because the by_pass was going though the middle of Holgate School and lots of there sports facilities would have to go. As I had gone to an inner city school with only a play yard  Holgate school sports fields was just the bee-knees. it had everything, plus at the time we kept being told Olympic GB needed more sports facilities so we could win Gold. 

Just a reminded what it had    Crickets Ground with practis nets, Running track, Tennis courts. Shotput ring/center, and football pitchers now most are gone!!!! it's sad when a road takes priority over sport.  just a little more when we went to live in Hucknall it had very, very friendley folk everyone knew each other, then it was said  Hucknall would never be joined with Bulwell/Linby/Papplewick/Newstead.  Well thanks to Tesco/ Trams/Robin Hood line      Hucknall no longer has its own identity. 

PS this post was because of reading the previous thread on Frank Jackson!!! 

The Jacko I knew was the barber Frank Jackson if you saw a boy with not much hair left on his head you would always ask "Have you been to Jackos for a hair cut?"  Did you pay for what he took off or what he left on?