Shop on 81 Mundella Road

Hi,

Does anyone recall what sort of shops have been at 81 Mundella Road please and who ran them please?

I'm doing my family tree and have discovered relatives living at this address and nearby and also running a shop, possibly a grocers or 'corner shop' somewhere in the Meadows.

Names I have are Annie Osmond and Edmund Carnell.

Any information gratefully received.

Cheers.

It is now a hairdressers at the corner of Bathley street. I remember it late sixties as I used to pass it on my way to school. It used to be a general store selling food and sweets amongst small household things, don't remember who worked in it though.

You may already know some of this, but I'll do it anyway.

81 Mundella Road still exists, and is clearly still a shop on a corner.

81%20mund_zpsyfaokkyb.jpg

What years are you referring to ?   In a directory for 1915, the occupant of 81 Mundella Rd is George Wilson, shopkeeper.

For the other names you mention, in 1916 Edmund Carnell lived at 55 Beauvale Road which is close by. And a James Henry Osmond lived at 33 Beauvale Road.

• Upvote 1
Between Nov 1936 and May 1939 an Annie E. Osmond appears to have held the licence for a beer off at 24 East Lamartine Street .

24, East Lamartine-street, from Percy Smith to Annie E. Osmond

• Upvote 1

In 1963 I lived at 90 Holgate Road.

I bought a tin of Tarentella tomatoes from there, on the way back I lost a ten bob note and got in trouble with me mam!

If anyone found a ten bob note in that area, its mine. 

# 5..................Tarantella tomatoes Mick, flat tin about 1/6 at Marsdens Awkwright st...............circa 1963.............afore your time methinks?

• Upvote 1

You'd need a few ten bob notes for a tin of Tarantella's these days...

Jolliffes, yes I remember the shop name now. I can picture the lady who ran it during the mid-60s, always slightly flustered when us Mundellans used to descend.

However, apparently one of our member's parents lived there 1920s ... post #43 below

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14387-kinglake-street/?page=2

40 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Marsdens Awkwright st...............circa 1963.............afore your time methinks?

I used to get dragged out by mam to carry her shopping bag up Arky, I remember Marsdens, was it opposite Tophams the newsagent. But I can also remember a grocers shop opposite St Saviours, big bacon slicer, cheese cut with a wire, chaps in Granville coats.

• Upvote 1

Can't remember what was opposite TBI............only spent a couple of weeks there.......but loved it i was 16 and the Meadows was full of nice girls,and remember a motor bike shop near there.........stood outside and dreamed...............then caught the bus back to Bulwell...........

Blacknells yes that was it.TBI...........Marsdens was on a big ish corner.....and Denshaw you just a wippersnapper..................lol.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TBI said:

However, apparently one of our member's parents lived there 1920s ... post #43 below

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14387-kinglake-street/?page=2

So if Hoonaloon ever comes back to check replies to her thread (which so far she hasn't) it may turn out she's related to Stephen Ford.