A trip down memory lane - Radford

I've just read the book 'Radford' by Chris Richards and feel sure I'm in the Forster Street school photo taken in 1957 ( on the page facing the contents page if anyone has the book ) my sister says it isn't me but I think I recognise other kids in the picture. I'd appreciate anyone reading this to check and see if they are in the picture.

I was born on Croydon Road in 1952 and lived there until getting married in 1973. Great memories of Radford in the hard days. Nine of us lived in a mid terraced house on Croydon Road, two beds and an attic, outside toilet and a yard where the tin bath and outside mangle lived.

So many happy memories growing up there; playing marbles on the cobbled street, playing games with all the other kids on the road including; British bulldog, hide and seek, knock a door run in summer and making ice skids down the street in winter, jumping the tankies down the river Leene and scrumping on the allotments there ( once getting caught by the allotment owner and getting a good telling off ) 

Money making ventures included bejng dressed up up as Guy Fawkes by my sisters and sitting in a push chair to ask for money when Players and Raleigh workers passed the hoouse, taking the rags down to the rag place on Peters Street, and earning a few pence by working for the wood man, putting sticks into a tin can and securing them with metal  twine, ready to sell as kinder wood to start the open fires everyone had those days.

Well enough nostalgia for now. If anyone does recognise the self or others in the book I mentioned above, please reply and help to solve the mystery.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t been sure where to put this, it may jog a few memories:                       

I've just read the book 'Radford' by Chris Richards and feel sure I'm in the Forster Street school photo taken in 1957 ( on the page facing the contents page if anyone has the book ) my sister says it

Couldn't agree more.  Times when you knew everyone who lived on your street and neighbours would look out for and help each other out if needed, and groups of kids all played in the street togeth

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:
10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Brilliant DA...........Better days....nicer people.....even though we had nowt......

Couldn't agree more. 

Times when you knew everyone who lived on your street and neighbours would look out for and help each other out if needed, and groups of kids all played in the street together.

Until the powers that be deemed that our homes were all slums!

To them they were just demolishing rows of houses but in reality they destroyed whole communities in the name of what they called improvement.

• Like 4

The previous compilation of Radford images showed a photo of The New Dispensary on Gregory Boulevard. I remember that building very well as it was where I was taken as a baby in a pram for weighing and immunisations, etc. What puzzles me is the building to the left of the dispensary. The image was taken long before I was born but I don't remember the two storey building on the left.

There appears to be a common gate giving access to both buildings. Was the two storey building perhaps a house or a nursing home, I wonder?

In my memory, Hyson Green Library stood next to the dispensary. Could that photo have been taken before the library was built? Does anyone have a map that shows what the two storey building was?

The architectural carbuncle known as the New Art Exchange now occupies the site of the former dispensary.

I'm sure I've seen @BeekaySay he was born at a clinic on Gregory Boulevard. It occurred to me that the two storey building to the left of the New Dispensary might be the very place. I can't see how it fitted between the library and the dispensary but that might simply be due to the angle at which the shot was taken.

This is the image Jill referred to. Looking at the caption (lower right) for the photo it suggests that both buildings are part of 'The Dispensary'.  A  map from around 1915 shows both buildings within the same boundary so I assume there's a connection.

dZ7t9CX.jpg

I've now discovered a bit more. The two buildings were there in the early 1900s, and looking at old Directories they definitely seem to be connected.

Properties listed along that stretch of Gregory Blvd go from the Library to The Dispensary to United Reform Church - with nothing in between. And the small alleyway between the Dispensary and the Church was Bevel Street.

• Like 2

Hey up ! Have just read your post Jill, along with CT. Alas, I have no verification of my place of birth, (I were only a little lad, born at a very early age). I've always been led to believe that I was in fact born on Gregory boulevard, (told that by various family members). It has been hinted that the fees were paid anonymously, (I gather there's some doubt suggested as to who my dad was, but I cannot substantiate that).

Jill, I love your line, "Our very own Beekay". That really makes me feel accepted and one of the gang. Thanks for that.

Beekay, as you know I haven’t been on here for very long but you always make me laugh and have been very helpful when I’ve had my ups and downs with pics and not doing stuff quite right when I first started. Don’t ever feel that you’re not accepted you’re an absolute star as far as I’m concerned.

Thank you MrsB. and Jill, for your vote of confidence. One does what one can to assist newcomers to NS., and that helps with the feelgood factor.

Jill, where I volunteer at Sheffield Park & garden, I am the only person to have an area named after me. It came about by me working as a car park marshal at the same place for over 12 years, (a 3 way junction at the approach to the site). It is known formally as 'Barriepoint'. I still get a buzz when I hear someone on the radio call 'Barriepoint to Reception, over'.

Cheers Blowbroth ! Have to make sure you young tiddlers get started on the right path. Don't want your dad coming after me for corrupting you. thumbsup