A trip down memory lane - Radford

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t been sure where to put this, it may jog a few memories:                       

I've just read the book 'Radford' by Chris Richards and feel sure I'm in the Forster Street school photo taken in 1957 ( on the page facing the contents page if anyone has the book ) my sister says it

Couldn't agree more.  Times when you knew everyone who lived on your street and neighbours would look out for and help each other out if needed, and groups of kids all played in the street togeth

@PeverilPerilBeing a tad older than me, PP, do you remember the building between the library and the dispensary? 

I read somewhere that the New Art Exchange acquired the former library building and obtained a substantial grant to repurpose it.  I prefer to remember it as it was. I truly loved that place!

Just had a look Kath, got three certificates (2 copies) but nothing said on any of them, except place of birth= Nottingham. I've an idea nobody wants to admit where I come from, don't blame em really.

Jill, you could always scratch on the wall, 'Beekay Woz 'ere'.

• Upvote 1

My fathers birth certificate is a shortened version (no birth address). I was wondering if I were to send for a new certificate would I get a full version?

That explains why there's no address. Shortened versions don't give the parents' names or occupations, either.

Piano man, if you can provide the correct reference number and pay the necessary fee, you will obtain a full copy.

When we were allowed out at lunchtimes from HMP Manning (fourth form upwards I think) a few of us used to walk down and sit in the Hyson Green Library in the winter months as it was always nice and warm in there, unlike the classrooms at school.

I can't recall at all how it looked inside but strangely I do remember like it was yesterday, the very distinctive smell it always had. Sort of old books,wood and floor polish but not unpleasant. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just had a look Kath, got three certificates (2 copies) but nothing said on any of them, except place of birth= Nottingham. I've an idea nobody wants to admit where I come from, don't blame em really.

Jill, you could always scratch on the wall, 'Beekay Woz 'ere'.

Beekay you need to go on “Long lost family” doesn’t matter where you came from, it’s what you are now that matters.

The house was apparently built for the doctor/surgeon who ran the dispensary. Whether that was still the situation when @Beekayturned up, I cannot say. Maybe there were complications with the birth and that’s why @Beekayarrived where he did. It was wartime so many occurrences happened in a different way.

Family rumours can be misleading at times, a mixture of fact and fiction accruing over time.

Whatever the outcome, be yourself, once here, the only certainty is death, it’s what happens in between that matters.

I don’t know. Kick start an old thread and @Beekay gets a blue plaque!!!

That's interesting, Dark Angel. When Beekay initially said he was born in a nursing home on Gregory Boulevard, I imagined it would have been one of the large properties towards the Mansfield Road end of Gregory Boulevard, where Ellerslie House is situated, but who knows?

From what I can see on Streetview, the Mandala Centre incorporates Ellerslie House. When I was at Manning, Ellerslie House was a home for elderly people. Whether it had ever served as a maternity hospital, I don't know but I'm pleased to discover that it's still standing. It's a lovely building.

Think Ellerslie House used to be a wounded service mens home. Not sure it would have been used for maternity purposes. Could have the wrong building. 
     The building mentioned by @philmayfield may have been a hotel, however, I could be wrong.

There was definitely a home for wounded service men Mansfield Road end of Gregory Boulevard.

8 hours ago, MRS B said:

Beekay you need to go on “Long lost family” doesn’t matter where you came from, it’s what you are now that matters.

MrsB., to be quite honest, I have no interest in Long lost family, Find my past, or any other ancestor search. There is nothing I can do about what happened previously or change any of the events, so what's the point? The bloke I've always believed was my dad has always been my dad, so to find out now it was some bugger else will make no difference to my life now. What I do remember about my childhood was, we were ďragged up rather than brought up. It was survival of the fittest. I'm not going to air my dirty laundry on this forum, so I'll just say that, because of my childhood, I've tried to do the best I could for my own family. Tried to give my two sons a decent life, while they were alive. I never expected to outlive them. They were both disabled and because of this I always tried to do the best for them. I have no regrets about my life, other than I'll never be a grandad.

That's it ! rant over.  Barrie.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dark Angel is correct that Ellerslie House was in use during and after The Great War as a convalescent hospital for wounded service personnel. There are photographs in existence of Edward, Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) visiting the wounded and, no doubt, trotting out his stock phrase of, "Something must be done!"

Edward has always intrigued me and I was quite excited to be informed that the choir would be visiting Ellerslie House to sing Christmas carols to the residents on several occasions while I was at Manning. Unfortunately, we only visited the large residents' lounge. I would have loved a guided tour of the building but such wasn't on offer!

I spent an interesting few years on ancestral research at the behest of my cousin in Australia. Prior to her interest I had never considered it. It wasn’t so much the compilation of the family tree but actually going to places to find gravestones and records. I’ve been up in the hills of Derbyshire, the wilds of Lincolnshire, remote parts of Gloucestershire and old cemeteries in Nottingham. I guess the main reason my ancestors gravitated to Nottingham was due to the expansion of the railway system.