A trip down memory lane - Radford

Those were the best days to undertake family research, Phil, before the advent of the internet. There is nothing like seeing the actual records, the primary sources of parish registers, wills, etc. It gives the research an immediacy that internet research just doesn't possess. Fair enough, some of those documents take a bit of deciphering but since the researcher generally knows roughly what they are looking for, they probably won't make the mistakes so many have fallen foul of due to transcription errors that lurk on sites such as Ancestry and Find My Past.  Internet research can take several times as long and there isn't the same feeling of connection with those being researched. That's my opinion anyway!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t been sure where to put this, it may jog a few memories:                       

I've just read the book 'Radford' by Chris Richards and feel sure I'm in the Forster Street school photo taken in 1957 ( on the page facing the contents page if anyone has the book ) my sister says it

Couldn't agree more.  Times when you knew everyone who lived on your street and neighbours would look out for and help each other out if needed, and groups of kids all played in the street togeth

Going back to the New Dispensary, according to Picture Nottingham, the image dates from 1905. It describes the New Dispensary as being for children. I remember it as such but my mother told me that adults were also treated there. Her own mother went there for some kind of ultra Violet light treatment, known as 'sun ray treatment' when my mother was a child.

I do recall a narrow passageway that ran along the end of the library and was bounded on the other side by what was, presumably, the boundary wall of the doctor's house, although the house itself was no longer there. When the accursed flats were being built, a friend and I often wandered through the site after tea and emerged through that narrow passageway onto Gregory Boulevard. I wonder whether it's still there?

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There is nothing like seeing the actual records, the primary sources of parish registers, wills, etc. It gives the research an immediacy that internet research just doesn't possess. 

True, Jill. My cousin traced our family tree and it took the best part of 12 years. One of the forms for which cousin obtained a resized photocopy was my Grandmother's marriage cert. It was signed by my Grandmother as 'Her mark,  X'  .(The words 'Her mark' being inserted by the officiating person). It was quite a moving revelation moment for me when I first saw it. She and Grandfather lived in a tied cottage in Norfolk.

Ah, yes, CT. It's much wider now. The boundary wall has been removed on the dispensary side. It was a fraction of the width in my childhood. Originally, it may have served as a cut through from the little network of terraced streets behind the library to save walking all the way round.

We have a photograph of my sister as a baby in her pram which was taken outside that  dispensary. Mum said that professional photographers often waited outside such places on clinic days, offering to photograph the baby or child for a modest fee.  Can't see that happening today!

I once went on a tour round Fanum House when it was the local AA HQ. It was in the days before satnav and, if you were a member and were going on a cross country journey, they would provide you with a route. In a dedicated room they compiled the routes from relevant strips of paper which listed the instructions. These were were stapled together and sent out to members. I remember, very many years ago, before motorways, my father and uncle using one of those detailed routes to get us from Nottingham to Falmouth.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Beekay said:

MrsB., to be quite honest, I have no interest in Long lost family, Find my past, or any other ancestor search. There is nothing I can do about what happened previously or change any of the events, so what's the point? The bloke I've always believed was my dad has always been my dad, so to find out now it was some bugger else will make no difference to my life now. What I do remember about my childhood was, we were ďragged up rather than brought up. It was survival of the fittest. I'm not going to air my dirty laundry on this forum, so I'll just say that, because of my childhood, I've tried to do the best I could for my own family. Tried to give my two sons a decent life, while they were alive. I never expected to outlive them. They were both disabled and because of this I always tried to do the best for them. I have no regrets about my life, other than I'll never be a grandad.

That's it ! rant over.  Barrie.

Beekay you’re always kind and help people out and as I say that’s all that matters.

You’re entitled to have a rant, sorry if I instigated that. Mrs B

• Like 1

I can remember going to the AA HQ for maps with my dad. We still have one of those AA badges that you used to have on the front of your car.

It was a long drive down to the West Country in the 50’s. We used to go with my aunt and uncle in their car. We would set out at 11pm. and drive though the night, stopping for a kip on the way. We would have a picnic breakfast on the foothills of Dartmoor. In more recent years, using the motorways, I’ve towed a boat all the way to the Lizard peninsular and been there by mid afternoon after an early start with no need to use a map.

My dad was in the RAC. Often you would pass a RAC mechanic, parked on a road, and he would salute a passing member. I think the AA did the same for their members.

Yes, my dad was in the AA and I remember an AA Man saluting him

as we drove past a little wooden? Shelter thingy .where the man was standing

According to a friend of mine who is the same age and was at Berridge with me, her mum always referred to the dispensary next to Hyson Green library as 'the welcome '. It was where my friend and her younger brother were taken as babies  to be weighed and immunized, as was I.

That seems an odd name for a dispensary unless... Could it have anything to do with The Wellcome Foundation? Founded in 1936. The subject becomes ever more mysterious!

• 3 weeks later...

Jill,  whilest I agree with you that it's nice to look at the original source documents when tracing your family tree,  living in Thailand makes it difficult to nip down to the Nottingham records office!

• Like 1