• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a rather strange cat story. It is true and it happened to me earlier this week.   A good friend of mine who lives in a very rural village not far from me has always had cats.  Some y

I often have a strong sense I really should do something. Usually a lie down and a bit of a nap makes it go away... 

Last night we had a call from daughter requesting a lift to the vets this morning, as "Melanie", one of her cats was managing to get minced food down, but seemed to be struggling to swallow, was letha

I feel your pain PP, I have nothing against cats really but we get so many in our garden, slunking around in hedges preying on little birds. But the biggest problem is that our Patterdale HATES cats. He sits and looks out of the window all day just waiting for neighbours cats to dare to come into our garden, then all hell is let loose when he spots one, yapping, jumping up at us ....got to let him out, we're being invaded.  Never has he been quick enough to grab a feline (thankfully) but it's a good game!  Our dog imagines there are cats there when there aren't though, he races around the garden barking just in case. I'm glad I'm not our neighbours, but I must say that we are pretty considerate and drag him in after a few minutes and would never let him chase his imaginary cats after dark! 

• Upvote 3

Well, I've got to make a comment in defence of the moggies, as I'm sure you would expect!

Not infrequently, I go into my garden and find piles of feathers under a certain very tall tree where doves are known to roost. Sometimes, a corpse lies at the foot of it. Bl99dy moggies?  Not at all. It's our not too friendly neighbourhood sparrowhawk on yet another killing mission. An inspection of the body shows that no cat is responsible.

Then there are the squashed remains of our feathered friends dotted all over the roads. Cats? Not guilty! It's those bl99dy humans in their cars again. Now they really are a problem round here...and everywhere else. Too many of em, ruining the environment for other creatures. Need culling, drastically, in my humble opinion.

Miaaw!  Prrrrrrrrp!   ;)

Difficult one, we love all the birds in our garden. Cats are predators though, and go after birds, ultimately there isn't a lot one can do. Ours was a rescue cat has always been a bird-chaser (and mice) probably comes from having to hunt because she was starving before we took her in. She's a lot older these days and is usually content bounding about after her 'feather on a stick' toy indoors. Next doors cats are always in our garden and often have birds.

The culprit is definately a cat. A pretty little grey and white thing named Pebble. I've seen her in waiting several times. Sometimes she lays out on the wall covering the seed,just out of spite. It's the annual bird count in a week or so. Just hope she is not about then.

Lizzie I have to agree with everything you say and we have 2 dogs. They too sit watching for them .

Our neighbours have 3 cats.....but keep them indoors. The problem is strays, not long ago there were 15 of them now its got down to 9. But still a niusance. They poo and dig up the troughs we have at the front soil everywhere. They sleep in the troughs too. On our terrace upstairs they poo everywhere and are starting to scrabble at the cement. Next door feed them and weve told them they have to clean up after them.

We face south and now all the cats are sitting in the sun, up on window sills , on top of well and plantpots. I have put orange shells all round so it now looks as though we are littering outside with fruit. It works but I think in time they will come to like the smell. I wouldnt hurt a fly but these 

cats are a real niusance. The council were supposed to sterilise them but not sure whether they have.

They are beautiful creatures basically all the same but one big ugly brown cat ( presumably the male)

they are white with patches of brown and ginger. And black. Just had a look to check

• Upvote 1

That sounds like quite challenge, nonnaB. When we go to Rome, we've noticed areas set aside for feral cats. Last time we were there, we were talking to one of the volunteers who fed them. As you perhaps know, she told us apparently anywhere with more than 6 cats is classed as a colony and protected by law.

I've had cats virtually  all my adult life until I lost my last one about 10 years ago. He never had a bird as far as I know.

Even at Saxondale many years ago, I had five cats, and only once did I see a dead bird. It was a wood pigeon which I tripped over in the porch when arriving home from the pub one night. 

I also kept chickens and ducks, and the cats never troubled them once. I think they were fascinated by them, but they had plenty of mice as I was surrounded by fields.

Nowadays at Basford, there's about four cats  that regularly pass through the garden, but they just watch the birds for a while and then ignore them. They are probably more interested in the family of squirrels that frequently visit .

There are always plenty of birds around as I've at least 14 bird feeders. In 13 years, I've only ever found about three lots of feathers, and they were most likely the result of action by the peregrine falcon from Bulwell Common which I've occasionally seen swooping around. 

• Upvote 1

image_zpshxsvoiup.jpeg

Just a collection of strays

image_zpsqsvp2g1r.jpeg

Was that a cat I saw. Come on lets go and annoy the  neighbours, put on your best barking voice.

• Upvote 2

We live in open country and have found that all  our cats, past and present, go for rodents, (especially voles) which are fat, juicy, plentiful and much easier to catch than birds.

I've heard it said that they will also kill a snake.  Forget the name now but I seem to remember some famous English guy in India had a cat that killed a Cobra.  That's pretty good to my way of thinking.

My cats like spiders and Tarquin adores flies. He leaps up in the air, catches one in his paw, eats it and looks very smug. To him they are airborne crisps!  I do wish he wouldn't.

Apparently, spiders taste like prawns...maybe that's why cats like them. They like real prawns too, of course. Hence I have to close the door if I'm having prawn stir fry otherwise I wouldn't get any!  :(

• Upvote 3

Keep him away from those pesky yellow jackets, Loppy!

Bruno the kitten likes granola, porridge, Quorn sausages, soup, Ryvitas....in fact, anything I'm eating. Apparently, it all tastes better than Whiskas, although he likes that too!  :(

• Upvote 1

He had a run in with the Yellow Jackets last summer, Jill.  I don't think he'll be back for more.  I'm pretty sure one of them got him on the rear, but he's tough.  You very rarely hear him yelp.  Like my old black Lab.  If you accidentally stepped on his foot or tail he would snatch it away and look at you reproachfully until you begged his forgiveness but he would never yelp.  I think it was a matter of honour with him.

• Upvote 1

Last night we had a call from daughter requesting a lift to the vets this morning, as "Melanie", one of her cats was managing to get minced food down, but seemed to be struggling to swallow, was lethargic and frothing after eating. Sleepless night for my daughter, but because the cat was managing to eat and didn't appear to be stressed they saw the night through. 

Thankfully, what ever the obstruction was must have moved, daughter has just phoned and "Melanie" is drinking, eating, no frothing any more and flying around the room chasing "Poppy" the three legged other cat, (leg amputated after a road accident).The loss of the leg doesn't seem to bother her as she is definitely boss in that house hold, Queen Bee, I am one of the chosen few who she has decided to befriend. It's amazing how she can jump upright from the floor onto my knee with only one back leg. 

Anyway crisis over, and all's well again. Big sigh of relief. :)

• Upvote 4
  • 3 years later...

I'd forgotten about those 3D puzzles, but now you've mentioned it.......

I could never see them and decided they were a con which never actually worked. People said they could see the result because they didn't want to appear thick.