They are neutered brothers Jill. They are surprisingly different in size and mannerisms. The smallest one eats a lot more than the big one and is the boss in the house but outside the big one is boss and is the one that sees off other cats. He still gets chased by the chickens though :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a rather strange cat story. It is true and it happened to me earlier this week.   A good friend of mine who lives in a very rural village not far from me has always had cats.  Some y

I often have a strong sense I really should do something. Usually a lie down and a bit of a nap makes it go away... 

Last night we had a call from daughter requesting a lift to the vets this morning, as "Melanie", one of her cats was managing to get minced food down, but seemed to be struggling to swallow, was letha

Here is a rather strange cat story. It is true and it happened to me earlier this week.

A good friend of mine who lives in a very rural village not far from me has always had cats.  Some years ago, a very peculiar lady lived across the road from my friend. She, too, had cats but she let them breed and didn't believe in neutering or spaying. 

In late 2013, she died. Only two cats were left by then, both entire males. We knew them both from birth because their owner often went to the USA for weeks at a time and my friend fed the cats (with the copious supplies of food she bought for them) in her absence. At her death, the larger cat had already found himself another home but my friend adopted Humphrey. He was 8 and a half by then and a formidable tabby tom.

We took him to the vet and he was neutered. He then settled down with my friend and became the nicest cat you could meet...unless you were a rodent!  He had always loved to be out in the fields and, apart from 8 months when my friend was seriously ill and Humphrey was cared for by another dear friend of mine, now passed on, he spent his entire life in the village where he was born.

Three weeks ago, Humphrey passed on. Both my friend and I were very sorry to see him go but he was 15 and a half and clearly not well.

On Monday evening, I went to bed but couldn't sleep. I read, watched a DVD, tossed about but couldn't drop off to sleep.

Around 12.30, a thought came into my head. Go downstairs, into the kitchen and look through the window in the door. Not the kitchen window. The window in the door.

I turned over and shut my eyes but the thought wouldn't go away.  It became stronger until I felt compelled to get up. Now I was being told that I must go downstairs because there was a cat outside.

All my cats were indoors and asleep.  I dismissed the compulsion but got up and went to the bathroom.  Once there, the compulsion became overwhelming. I must go downstairs. I must look outside, through the door. I must see the cat.

I walked, in the dark, half way down the stairs and then told myself, "Don't be so damned stupid. Go back to bed. There's nothing outside!"

I turned round and had reached the top of the stairs when what I can only describe as an odd force prevented me going further.

The compulsion could not now be ignored and I walked down the stairs, through the house and into the kitchen.  In the darkness and feeling like a total idiot, I flicked on the switch for the outside lamp, drew back the lace door curtain and peered out.  I almost jumped out of my skin in surprise.

"Bl99dy hell! Humphrey!" I shouted.

Sitting outside, almost on the doorstep, was a very familiar, large tabby tom cat. Not an old, worn out cat but a young, vibrant, powerfully built moggie who was looking straight into my eyes with calm recognition.   His coat was magnificent and around the edge of his fur was a sort of golden glow which may or may not have been a reflection of the light from the lamp .

He remained motionless, as did I. We just gazed at each other for what must have been several minutes.  Eventually I raised my hand to unlock the door and he turned away, walking off into the night.

I was outside in an instant but there was neither sight nor sound of any cat. I rattled the biscuit box. Nothing. Silence.

Eventually, I went back to bed.

Humphrey had never been to my house.

Over the last two nights, I have been down to the kitchen and looked through the door at all hours. The result is always the same. Nothing.

You may laugh. You may dismiss it as a dream, imagination or wishful thinking. I am the most rational person in the world but I know who and what I saw. The odd thing is, from any other window, I would not have been able to see him. It was roughly half an hour from the urge first entering my head to my looking out of the door.  Had he been there all that time, waiting for me to get up?

Who knows?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

There are more things in heaven and earth (Jill) than are dreamt of in your philosophy

if you saw him, then you saw him !

• Like 2

I'm sure you saw him Jill...............I am an avid dreamer,,,,,,,,often look forward to sleeping,to see where it takes me......I dream about people i have known and even Cats i have had,,I do believe there is something 'Super-Natural'' about them...

Nothing to do with Cats i know,,,but in my dreams every night,and i mean every night,,i am doing something back in the world of work,,and i mostly have total recall,,,last night i was with people i worked with in Birmingham back in the 70s planning a campaign regarding Wavy Line stores,,,anyone remember them ?

• Like 2

I too am a vivid dreamer and, quite often, a lucid dreamer. In my dreams, I fly, and am always disappointed to find I can't do it when I'm awake because it's so exhilarating!

However, on the night in question, I wasn't asleep. Hadn't even been to sleep.

A sort of premonition Jill. I too have these strong feelings that I must do something , whether it's to check something or do something and I can't sleep until I've made sure.  My maternal grandmother was like that. I think I've mentioned this before but if not here goes. One day or night she put her coat on and was going out when my grandfather asked where she was going. She said she was going to a friends house who had just died. My grandfather asked how she would know as she hadn't seen her for days. To cut a longish story, she went to the house just as the dr was leaving, she had been right the friend had died only minutes before. I get agitated sometimes when I have these feelings , in case.

My brother in law "saw" his daughter after she died in a car accident at 8 yrs of age.  My mum "saw " my dad waiting at the bottom of the stairs, If you saw the cat only you can "see" that you saw him.

• Like 1

Although the sceptics like to scoff, I think these things run in families, Nonna. They certainly do in mine. My mum was prone to it, as was her own mum and my father's mother was regarded as a bit strange due to things she knew and saw...when no one else did.

That said, I always try to find an explanation when these experiences visit me. Perhaps, not surprisingly, I'm never successful in doing so.

At one time in Doncaster my husband and I had 2 cats, a big male tabby (Sam) who was a bruiser and a delicate female tortoiseshell called Cindylou. They were strays that we had taken in and the lived quite happily with our 2 German Shepherds, although Sam always thought he was the boss.

We had Cindylou for a while, She was a knee cat, couldn’t see someone sitting down without getting on their lap no matter what they were doing. Unfortunately she developed female leukaemia and we eventually lost her. A week or so after we lost her I went into the kitchen and looked out into the back garden. There was a street light at our back fence which illuminated the back garden somewhat and there on the lawn was Cindylou chasing moths which one of her favourite occupations. 
She was as agile and athletic as she had been before becoming ill, I watched her for what seemed like ages, although it was probably only minutes. Then Sam jumped on the top of the fence from the street and when I looked back to the lawn she was gone. 
I don’t consider myself “sensitive” or anything, but have had other experiences with dogs/Sam that we have lost also with my husband (who always maintained things like that were rubbish) after he passed. 

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...