Nottingham Road 1925 - Tram Route

I'm trying to find where this diorama is of....

Its labelled as 'Nottingham Road 1925' but there is an awful lot of Nottingham Road in and around Nottingham and a fair amount on the old tram routes.

I know its a really long shot but does anyone have any idea where this might be?

My gut feeling is its somewhere between Hayden Road and Perry Road - there has been a lot of development along that way.

Thanks in advance!

Januarysmall.JPG

I took the photo...it's an item that is in the museum handling collection (which I work with).  We have little or no info on where it came from before it came to us.

The far side of the trams have players adverts but they are REALLY hard to see and even harder to take a picture of!

Those building look a bit random shape and size; I wonder whether they were meant to depict real premises or just some fanciful modelling?  Maybe they wanted to inject some interest or perhaps several different modellers contributed?

I can't readily think of any part of Nottingham Road, Nottingham that is flat; certainly not Haydn Road down to Perry Road.  East side there have been various commercial enterprises for a long time and West side is old housing.

Catonine, what makes you think it is Nottingham?  I expect there are a few conurbations that have a Nottingham Road and have had tram systems, including Derby and Mansfield.

Nottingham's trams were not painted green and white,they were maroon. The green and cream livery was introduced in 1927 with the first trolleybuses, so I think it is more likely that this is a diorama of Nottingham Road, Derby, as I believe that Derby's trams were painted green and white.

I knew Nottingham Road Basford reasonably well back in the 50s & 60s before most of the development took place and can't think of anywhere that looked like that.

Going down Nottingham Road from Hayden Road on the right hand you had the Baptist church on the corner it was then pretty much all factories of one sort or another ending with Bairns Wear on the corner of Perry Road.

On the left hand side you had the Post Office on the corner of North Gate followed by the Star garage complete with pumps, then came housing but fairly sure they had small gardens they went down to Egypt Road. On the other side of Egypt Road was a paper shop followed by a mixture of housing and shops but they looked nothing like those shown they ran down to Rosetta Road. Across Rosetta Road was waste land and then commercial premises down to Zulu Road which had a large Victorian house on the corner, between there and Silverdale Road was a mixture of Victorian housing and large commercial premises again nothing like shown.

And of course as already stated it was on a hill except for the very bottom stretch.

OS maps of the time don't show any buildings of that configuration on Notingham Rd, Basford. The trams are Derby livery and Nottingham Rd, Derby had tramlines but again no similar building configuration. The buildings also look unrealistically higgledy-piggledy so I'd suspect it's not based on a real row of buildings anywhere.

Could this be Nottingham Road Chaddesden. There is a row of shops like that more or less opposite the Beau Brummel which is on the corner of Chaddesden Lane End(?). 

Notts & Derbys trams were surely painted blue and cream same as their motorbuses.

1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

Notts & Derbys trams were surely painted blue and cream same as their motorbuses.

Notts & Derby motorbuses and trolleybuses were blue and cream, but according to this site their trams were green and cream or later all green:

http://midlandgeneralomnibus.weebly.com/notts--derby-trams.html

The pictures on that site don't show any fleet name on the side, the same as on the models, so I don't know if that's a clue or just coincidence. Derby does seem the most likely explanation though.

As Deepdene Boy says, Nottingham's trams were maroon.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, notty ash said:

Nottingham Road, Mansfield also had trams. Not sure what colour they were.

Answering my own question

The initial livery of the Mansfield tramcars was red and cream.

In 1908, two nearly new Brush tramcars (Nos. 19 and 20), built in 1905-6, were purchased from the Cavehill and Whitewell Tramway which operated on the outskirts of Belfast; these arrived in Mansfield still in their light green and cream livery. The green and cream livery became the standard for all the Balfour Beatty & Co. Ltd. group of companies and, eventually, all the Mansfield tramcars were repainted into those colours.

From http://midlandgeneralomnibus.weebly.com/mansfield-district-trams.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have only just come across this topic while researching Nott's and Derby Traction Tramcar livery, so please excuse me for bringing it up again if you bother about such things.

These model trams are a good representation of the ones used by Nott's and Derby Traction. As said above they didn't have fleet names on the side, Derby's trams had a very obvious fleet name that I can't believe this very good model maker would have left off his models.

The description of the N&D tram livery that I have seen are either Light Green and Cream or Bright Green and Cream, that would also match the models.

Ripley, Eastwood and Kimberley all had Nottingham Roads among others and they are a possibility for the location if they are N&D.

I will show the image around a few Local History groups along the N&D route just in case the shops are real and someone can recognise them.

Just for a bit of fun I coloured a black and white image of a Notts and Derby Tram at the terminus on Upper Parliament Street Nottingham.

I am not making any claims that these colours are at all accurate though.

30141172058_ce79b2aba9_z.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1