Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

saved1

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl 

saved2

Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950

saved3

Me and my lovely Dad........Rhyl   1950 ish

saved5

And again early morning walk on the Prom..............

saved4

Mam,,me,,Dad,, and uncle John who ive mentioned pre' a bit   lol.........Skegness 1949  ish

• Like 14

Great photos Ben i have similar photos to that with my mum and dad and grandparents around 1950 at Mablethorpe,they rented a chalet on the beach to make a cuppa and somewhere to go if it rained but i always remember heading back to the boarding house about 3.30pm so everyone could get spived up for the evening dinner quite a performance but great times.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950

Love this photo Ben.

Dad with the ubiquitous ciggie in his mouth and you with a look of excited anticipation

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

And again early morning walk on the Prom

I had a jumper just like that one it must have been a 50's fashion item for young boys.

• Like 1

In an old photo album, I have 1920s photos of George and Emily Ward who lived in Garden Street, paddling in the sea. George is wearing a 3 piece suit, shirt and tie, trousers rolled up to the knees. Emily is wearing a floral day dress, white cardigan and a hat, handbag over her arm! Might be considered a tad overdressed these days.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes folks,,,,,,,,Never ever saw my Dad,,,, Grandads or Uncles wearing shorts,,,loved there sense of dress 3 piece suits ,Trilby hats,,Pocket watches, Arm bands the lot,

Still can't get my head round todays style of mens dress sense,,all my older male relatives are now gone,,mostly in Bulwell Cemetery and when i visit them (and there are many) i still picture them dressed like proper men,,(which they were),,all lovely happy chaps who had seen hard times,,but only ever gave me lots of hugs and happy smiling times,,,not a nasty bone between them............

• Like 6

Ian I think you will find that they were called Tank Tops and not a Tank in site.

Ben,

wonderful memories and photographs of times past. I too can not understand today's style of men's  dress, which appears to me a clown's outfit, especially so with the often attendant beer bellies and singlets. Hoodies look particularly offensive and were banned in Singapore, well done to them.

Where did our sartorial decline come from? USA?

• Like 1

Mary1947, us lads wore pullover and girls wore tank tops. Only posh kids had jumpers. I'm  talking back in the mid fifties. Where we lived you were dragged up, not brought up. I had 3 brothers so it were a case of ' first up, best dressed'. That part of Radford was due for slum clearance even when I  were a nipper. The old gas street lamps and cobbles. Worra  time !

• Upvote 1

I think the main thing is to dress for one’s own personal comfort. There are occasions of course when a more formal standard of dress is de rigeur. Photos of people at the seaside back in the fifties wearing a suit and collar and tie may look ridiculous today but most people only had the clothes they stood up in and jeans and t shirts had not yet made an appearance. There are certain occasions when you expect to see a more formal style of dress such as at a meeting with a professional where a certain decorum is required. Even the tie is becoming extinct. You still see people wearing a smart business suit but with no tie and it does look a bit incongruous. When you consider it ties are just a form of adornment indicating  memberships and affiliations or just a means of self expression. I used to have have lots of tailor made suits for business but the more time I spent on the factory floor it was just a shirt and trousers, still with a tie of course to denote ‘management’ but carefully tucked into the shirt for safety. My usual dress nowadays is a rustic checked shirt, casual trousers and a gilet for wallet, phone, keys and all other sundries. I only have one tie and one suit for weddings and funerals and even at funerals I usually wear an open necked shirt and blazer. I only have one pair of shoes which I replace when worn out! My wife’s the same - no pretensions, just plain country wear. Our outgoings, apart from services and food are minimal. The simple life for us - apart from a couple of decent cars!

Alpha,,don't think our Sartorial decline came from America..........they are as bad as we are,,,but the decline seemed to occur about the same time.

In the 50s and 60s the Americans had some great mens style of clothing,,,purchased a couple of great American style lightweight suits in the 60s,,made you feel great to wear,,,all the singers wore suits,, never saw Dean Martin,,Frank Sinatra etc in shorts or t shirts,,,even the Cowboys,imagine Clint in shorts,,...........I think today many blokes are just lazy,,or perhaps they have a misplaced image of themselves that its ok to dress slovenly.

I used to have blokes turn up for interviews in T shirts and shorts,,even some with no socks,,they were all told and sent packing,,bless em.