Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

Some people dress to impress and I agree that at an interview it’s important. I have no one I need to impress so I just please myself. If you dressed smartly out here in the sticks you would look decidedly odd and the neighbourhood watch would be alerted!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Back in the 50's most folk in Sneinton had little to be 'proud' of. A front room that was sacrosanct and almost never used, a clean front step you stood on at your peril and 'going out', or 'best' clothes. Even going into town shopping called for wearing our best clothes.

My dad had a 'demob' suit, my mam a 'best' coat. No best dress so never took her coat off when we were out although going out as a family was something I can only ever remember doing half a dozen times in all the time I was growing up.

Mam always had a headscarf, grandma always wore a hat. General day wear for ladies was a dress and an apron, men had proper trousers ( jeans hadn't really taken off), and a shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

Going out with hair in curlers under a headscarf always scandalised grandma who denounced them as being 'no better than they should be', an expression I never understood. It was I think at the end of the decade and early 60's standards started to change. As a teen it was de rigueur to have baseball boots, jeans with big turn ups.

Strange to say the two richest people I know, one has a minor title, are the scruffiest buggers you could ever meet. As PM says some have no need to impress.

I only dress to impress mesen,,,always improves my mood if i'm dressed reasonable.........I suppose most of my life from school thru all my work (most) smart dress was always called for,,,lived in a couple of Villages and on days off did dress down to go to the local etc,,,

Now days i enjoy wearing a Suit jacket with tight Jeans,,and a nice shirt,,can't wear a tie anymore due to my health condition,but do enjoy a neckerchief............just be nice to get out at the moment,,have become very aware of avoiding any chance of picking up the virus,,,which with my condition would be very easy,,,need to keep my neck covered,,,because thats were i breathe,,,.......as me Dad would say  ''bleddy game in it'''   lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember a tramp walking into the reception of the solicitors' offices where I worked many years ago. Overcoat in shreds, trousers held up with string, shoes falling apart, etc. He was clutching a tatty carrier bag and asked to see the senior partner. The woman on reception was inclined to fetch our retired policeman cum general office manager to throw the vagrant out.

For some reason, she rang the senior partner and described the tatty bloke sitting on a chair in the foyer. Senior partner was down the Georgian staircase in a flash to welcome the owner of one of the biggest army surplus shops in Nottingham!  Just goes to show! Where there's muck, there's money.

• Like 2

I wonder if a lot of the change came from th 60s rock groups, Beatles, Stones, Animals etc.  They were anti establishment.  I even heard of one of 'em turning up at a Rolls Royce showroom to kick the tires dressed like a tramp.  All downhill from there.  A lot of folks wanting to look like their favorite rocker.

Anti establishment maybe but the Beatles wore suits and so did the Animals. The Stones weren't all that scruffy either. I think scruffiness came with the punk era. My present haircut is a bit like a Beatle/Boris Johnson now but I've not been asked for an autograph! Wives will soon be getting their scissors out.

Wish Scissors were needed to cut my hair....Just now for the first time in my life someone other than a Barber/Hairdresser has Cut/Shaved my Hair/Head.................Wife sorted for me down the Garden......done good job too....thats it now then bye-bye the Barber....

• Like 2

Yes you are probably closer with the punk era.  I even wondered whether to mention the Beatles.  I think with them it was more a matter of long hair for the time.

Mrs. L has been threatening me withthe scissors.  We have a small electric dog trimmer.  I might allow her to try that on the longer bits, not so sure about scissors.  :biggrin: 

8 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

We have a small electric dog trimmer.  I might allow her to try that on the longer bits, not so sure about scissors.  :biggrin: 

If you sit still and don't bark, you might get a dog treat!

• Like 1

Bailey is not keen on letting her do him.  I think the dog parlour is probably still closed and he's shaggy.  Malting too,  we keep finding chunks of black hair around.  We call 'em 'Bailey bits.'  :biggrin:

Thats was it cliff ton  early 70s,,,,things went downhill........Long hair....silly boots....Scarfs tied round the waist....Bay city rollers....shang a lang....Bye-bye-baby............its all coming back now...........went to annual dance for Park Tavern football team at Howitts Printers Barlock road,,i was about 30 and the youngsters in the team were all dressed like the Bay city Rollers singing 'Shang a lang' or sumat,,,and Dancing on their own ,ie without a woman.......defo the beginning of the end...............lol

• Like 2

It's interesting.  I looked at one of those old Look at Life short films on YT recently.  About the 60s.  Some dance scenes. The girls looked like young ladies.  Dresses, skirts etc.  The guys suits or slacks and a jacket and tie.  No tattoos, rings or studs through their noses etc.  Help!  I'm living in the wrong century.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Thats was it cliff ton  early 70s,,,,things went downhill........Long hair....silly boots....Scarfs tied round the waist....Bay city rollers....shang a lang....Bye-bye-baby...........

I'm a bit worried if you think I ever looked vaguely like a Bay City Roller.  My long hair was more of the Deep Purple - Led Zeppelin - Prog Rock variety.

• Like 1

Being at one time an accountant and subsequently a company director I always had to maintain an air of respectability so I never was able to be trendy. I think my hair now is longer that it ever was. I suppose I should be grateful I've still got some. It turned grey when I was 40 (stress!) I did try dyeing it brown a few years ago but I felt a bit of a prat and I did get some strange looks. I may as well grow old gracefully now.

Following our wedding and reception in May 1975 we drove to Manchester Airport Hotel to fly off on our Greek honeymoon next day.  On arrival there were burly security guards everywhere and the hotel doors were locked because dozens of Bay City Rollers fans, in all the tartan gear, were screaming outside. It turned out that the group were in residence, we were eventually allowed in and the receptionist offered her congratulations to us.  I was surprised as I wasn’t still in my wedding dress (!) and didn’t think it was that obvious that we were newly-weds.  The receptionist said the confetti in my hair was a bit of a giveaway.  

• Like 4

Rarely get out of my old jeans and check shirt these days.  I'm mostly working in the garden.  Put a suit and tie on if and when I preach.  Thats enough.  my hair is longer than it's ever been.  Don't know when I'll see the barber.

• Like 1

This photo was taken in August 1926 at Skegness.  My mum and dad are on the left of the picture and are aged 25 and 24 respectively

IMG-5347.jpg

• Like 10

I didn't know where to post  this photo but I thought it may be of interest to those of you who like motorbikes..

It was taken in 1926 and is of my mum and dad

IMG-5345.jpg

• Like 9

Note the dress style of both of them. Mister in his suit and tie and Mrs in dress and hat. Assuming they were on their way out and not posing.

Classic Margie, thank you.

• Like 1

The day I retired I parcelled up my suits and "formal" work shirts and ties and gave them to a local op-shop.

The trend for funerals here these days is colour so I don't need them any more.

Only have smart casual/casual now.

If any one of my mates wants formal at their send off (which I very much doubt) I wont be going.