Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

Bet we've all got some...........ensconced in my little room today, Playing a bit of 'Bee-Gees' and sorting some old drawers out,came across two old NUR Diaries 1958 and 1959............i was 13/14 thought i'd tell you of some entries i made

Wed 1st Jan           Toms Birthday     (he was my cat)

Wed  15th Jan       Had new lights for me bike from Bike shop in Bulwell

Sat    18th Jan.........played football at Clifton      Lost 2-1   but scored

Sun    19th Jan      played football on Common in the snow with Barry Rippon,Harry Fewkes,Nev Olpin,Joey Stevenson,Charley Tacey and Eric Crowle.

Sat   25th..........saw Wee Willy Harris having cup of tea in British Home Stores....Forest 3 WBA 3

Will only bore you with more if requested...............lol.

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Please do Ben, somewhere in the loft, I've some old Ladybird books. Piggly Wriggly, and Wonk. I think there's also an old book about Toby Twirl.

• Upvote 1

Yes, ben, please continue. I've got virtually nothing I had as a kid/teenager except my Roy Rogers badge, a little Matchbox motorbike, Webley air pistol and one of my first guitars.

When I was about the same age, I invariably got a diary amongst my Christmas presents. I used to fill it in religiously every day, in my neatest writing, until about Jan 25th, then I just couldn't be arsed.

Just remembered my Ferguson reel tape recorder round at mam's. Got that before my first record player....used to cellotape the mic over the telly speaker to record TOTP etc, everyone had to keep their gobs shut.

• Upvote 3

Your wish is my command Fly........lol

Mon.27th Jan.1958.........had metalwork in morning,making bottle opener

Tues 28th Jan.........Had date with Lesley Norris....she didnt turn up

Wed 29th Jan.....cup replay Forest 1 WBA 5

Sat 1st Feb......Padstow 4 Glenn Bott 0.  went to Forest beat Portsmouth 2-0

Wed 5th thurs 6th Man unt plane crash...Frank Swift also Roger Byrne,T.Taylor,E.Coleman,B,Whelan,G.Bent,M.Jones,D.Pegg all killed.

Sat Feb 8th........WBA 3 Forest 2..............uncle John and Uncle George birthday.............

• Upvote 1

FLY I remember the books about Wonk - was he a koala?

I also got some scruffy old Ladybird books from when our children were little... can't bring myself to throw them away.  One was 'Mick, the disobedient puppy' and another one 'Ned, the lonely donkey' as well as the classics like 'Little Red Hen' etc.  I remember reading them over and over and over - they always knew if I changed a word.  

One book from my own childhood that I still have is 'Gobblywinks in Nonsense Land'   It both fascinated and scared me at the same time.  I think I can remember Toby Twirl.... one adventure he had was somewhere very cold.  One sentence was about someone bad grabbing a little penguin by his flipper "and Toby cried indignantly, 'Don't hurt the little nipper'"   

I also have some of my old dolls and toys, although they're a bit scruffy too.

ben, keep the diary entries coming...

• Upvote 2

Yes Margie, I've had great affection for them ever since. 

#3 TBI we had a reel to reel tape recorder and  I used to record Top of the Pops every week! 

I also used the tape recorder for learning  my A level organic chemistry notes.  I recorded them and played it back and later I discovered that my mum knew quite a bit about A level chemistry too!  We had a good laugh about it. I learn best by listening but I still have the original written notes.  The tape recorder was used so much that it began to wear and it did not run at the right speed so words and music became distorted. If I put a book under the front to tilt it then this made it work OK for a bit longer. Happy memories!

Just remembered that when I was in the last year at Portland school they got a tape recorder: a big black box that was wheeled on a trolley!

• Upvote 2

A few more random entries from my 1958 diary

Sun.16th Feb Forest sign Ilkeston town right half Brian Harrison.

Sat 22nd Feb Man unt 1 Forest 1 Imlach scored,..Joyce played in place of Eddie Bailey

Wed 26th......Mam bought me new shoes 47/6

Sat 1st Mar... Duncan Edwards died................must get dog licence 2/6 short still

Tues 4th March........my birthday..........and Jim the Budgies.

• Upvote 2

Actually still remember em TBI.................I was 13 and they were black sensible school shoes............lol.

I lost my old diaries to a divorce but one day I was trawling through the Highlands and Islands Archive when I chanced upon a diary written in 1881 by a senior engineer of the Highland Railway Company.  I obtained permission to transcribe the work and make a copy for the North highland archive and made some notes for myself too. At the time he was building an extension on his house and as the year progressed, so did his extension.  Included were notes about his family and what the children were getting up to.  It was a fascinating read, especially since I know the house that he was extending and that the extension is still in-situ!  I still have some extracts from the diary somewhere on a disc.

Its amazing what we still have compo....after divorces like ours...............apart from old Papers and photos.the oldest thing i still have is a 'Gilbey Vintners' wine barrel lovely bit of 'tat'...............sits in front of me now as i type..........an old rep gave it me in 1976..........and its lived all over with me since...........................

• Upvote 1

Talking of tat.....Last time I visited the family in Wales I spotted an old 'Imco Polo' fag lighter sitting in a tin out in the garden.  The tin was full of rainwater and rusty old bits and bobs.  Permission was granted for me to take the lighter for refurbishment.  It now works, albeit with a few scars from about 18 months worth of immersion in acid rain :)

31435082853_3276e8a033_h.jpg

A bit more from my 1958 diary............as a 13 year old...........

Mon 10th march..............bought new Pakamac...14/6

Fri  14th march...........read seasons football on school stage,we won championship

Sat  15th march........went to watch Forest with Barry Rippon..........Forest 1 Wolves 4

Sat  26th April..........went ti Coke yard on Bike.........struggled back with bag of coke on crossbar

Mon 28th April.........played football on common lost to Raymede 5-2

Fri 2nd May..............played bowls and Tennis on common with,Malc,Tony,Mountfield,Milly and George Fitch..........lost at Bowls won at Tennis

• Upvote 3

You might be pleased to know that this is my last of 1958 Diary notes.........lol'

Wed 26th Nov.......got new bike from Curries

Fri 28th..........had x-ray on knee General Hospital

Sun 30th......spent nearly all day trying to mend me gears........fed-up.

Sun 28th Dec.......played cards with John and Eileen won 1/4

Mon 29th........Took paper round first time.......Leybourne drive,Southglade and Andover..........chased by pack of dogs on Southglade

1959 Diaries to follow....if you not bored.............lol.

• Upvote 5

Funny (but lovely me Mam and Dad) Compo............bought me new bike.......but i had to buy my Dog licence 7/6............lol.

Here, Loppy, a sterilized dog's license is $17 with written proof of sterilization. Unsterilized dog is $42. Both have to have of rabies vaccination.

• Upvote 1

Remember Katy, this is the Sahth!  Land of rednecks and assorted riff raff.  :biggrin:. Bunch of Johnny Rebs.  We are not expected to be able to know what a dog license is much less be willing to pay for one.

• Upvote 1

Bit quiet.............does anyone want extracts from my 1959 Diary?...............if NO i won't be offended.................lol.

• Upvote 2