Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Funny you should say that Jill............first page was for Telephone numbers.......obviously we did'nt have phones back in 59'...........so i put in some Girls Addresses,

Lesley...........Teviot,...Anita.....Teviot..........Caroline..........Andover.....Susan.........Southglade......Jean.........Andover

Sat......Jan 3rd.....took papers got paid 12/3.........played football on Common

Sat......Jan 10th............Forest played Tooting in Cup 2-2.........2-0 down after 20 minutes......OG and Gray scored for forest.

Sun.....Jan 18th............uncle Jacks birthday.......TV broke.........Bed early

Sat......Jan 24th.......went to watch Forest with Dick,John,Trevor and Harold in Harolds car..Forest 3 Tooting 0,dwight,wilson and Imlach scored.

Edit for Katy...........it don't get juicy till 1960.............lol.

• Upvote 3

Aw, Come on benj.  you are up to 1959, because you said you put some girls addresses in, can't you just speed up a bit to 1960. Go on I'll slip you a fiver, It's dark and dismal here and we are really in need of some juicy bits!!!!!:rolleyes: COME ON!!!!

• Upvote 2

No Jill.and carnie..........but very caring.........not one to boast..........lol. all i'll say is Caroline was a bit special....

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Tell us about your love life in 1959, Ben! Barbara Cartland's books have got nothing on you...not that I've ever read any!  :(

Read one Barbara Cartland and you've read  them all, so I have been told .Bit like Catherine Cookson  !!  just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, seeing how you are really George Clooney, I'm sorry to hear your first cousin, the actor Miguel Ferrer has passed away. Son of Rosemary Clooney. Only 61 yrs old. 

• Upvote 1

KJ you are way behind the times. It has now been established that Benji is not George Clooney. He has been unmasked as being Alf Garnet.

• Upvote 3

Another bit of sentimental tat which I've posted before somewhere on here.

My dad took loads of family photos when I was younger, and I've still got most of them. There's probably a photo here for every week of my life until my early teens.

photo_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1959 Diary conti---

Sat Jan 7th Saw X film with Barry and Trevor at Adelphi

Wed Feb 11th Pearsons factory ablaze....one man died

Sun  Feb 22nd went fishing Vernon Park......caught nowt......but got date with Joyce

Sat  7th March played for Bestwood Old Boys i was youngest,won 4-1..and scored.

Sat March 14th Forest beat Villa 1-0 in cup semi-final.........Quigley scored........

Tues March 24th....Birmingham full back Jeff Hall ill with Polio

Tues 31st March......brothers birthday gave him 10 Bob.........only got 10 Bob left now

Wed 8th April.....went swimming with school Noel st Baths..........hated it

Fri 10th April........got paid bought new dog licence...............still got 5 Bob

• Upvote 2

benjamin not only do we look alike but our diaries read the same !

This is a repeat of my 1963 when I went to see the Beatles at the Odeon

Monday 20th May 1963
---------------------------------
Went to see Forest v Man Utd.
Forest won 3-2 after being behind twice. Good Game .

Tuesday 21st May 1963
----------------------------------
Mad about Christine Ford . Going to have typhoid jab on Thurs .
Gone off Pat , I don't know why but still like her but not half as much as Christine !
Wednesday 22nd May 1963
-----------------------------------
Did not go to youth club because I wanted to revise .
Thurs 23rd May 1963
-----------------------
Had typhoid jab.
Went with Christine Ford to see Beatles at Odeon .
Took Christine home and put my arms round her and we walked round streets .
Really fab night !
Arm is hurting from jab .

Beatles were great , sang "From Me To You" and flip "Wanna know a Secret" ,"Love Me Do","Saw Her Standing There" ,"Please Please Me" ,
"Some Other Guy" and "TWIST AND sHOUT"....fabulous

Roy Orbison very good ,
sang "Dream Baby" , "In Dreams" , "Falling" & more R&B songs.

Gerry and Pacemakers
David McBeth , Loise Cordet-Poor
Ian Crawford -Good
Erkey Grant
Terry Young Six

Friday 24th May 1963
--------------------------------
Arm still hurting and feel dizzy from jab
Went to Coventry Cathedral (with Gedling School) walked  round town and attended concert in Cathedral

Saturday 25th May 1963
------------------------------------------
Stayed in , arm still stiff
Watched Cup Final on TV
Man Utd 3 (Herd 2 Law 1)-Leic. City 1 (Keyworth)

Sunday 26th May 1963
-------------------------
Stayed in -really hot 71 degrees !
  • Upvote 4

'Mad about Christine Ford. Going to have a typhoid jab on Thursday'. Why, did she have typhoid?:rotfl:

• Upvote 3

David, wouldn't it be funny if Christine Ford was doing a google search of her name (as you do) and came across your post!!

• Upvote 6

Just found an 1956 YHA membership card. It has been stamped with the hostels stayed at during a fortnights cycle tour of Devon and Cornwall.

Marlborough, Martock, Maypool, Bigbury on Sea, Lostwithiel, Boswinger, Truro, Treyarnon, Elmscott, Minehead, Cheddar and Stratford on the return home. This tour was all done with possessions cramped into a saddlebag hung from the saddle. No panniers or rucksacks. It rained most of the time too - when you are 17 you just got on with it and enjoy it all.

• Upvote 3

Great stuff David............not read me old Diarys for many many years,and my memory has been jolted so many times reading them again.........Also made me realise when my old bits of writing have faded from view a record is still here on Nottstalgia.

By the way i was in love with a Christine too..........but packed her up for Sandra.......who packed me up,and Christine would'nt have me back.........so i went out with Trina..................lol.

• Upvote 5

#47. I think the word got around with the gels on Bestwood estate about this bloke who wore a liberty bodice, and they all wanted to see it. Hence all the girl friends. Why ever would they want to go out with someone who looked like Alf Garnet! 

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, MargieH said:

David, wouldn't it be funny if Christine Ford was doing a google search of her name (as you do) and came across your post!!

Yes but interesting to know what became of her .....To be honest it only lasted for a few weeks ! She was older than me !

Margie #45..................you are right Margie.........but if you notice i don't mention their surnames.........cos they would probably still want me back..........and can't be doing with the Agro'......lol.....

David.........more similarities coming out all the time mate,.......Forest,...lookalike......Grocery trade.......girlfriends names........i even went to Coventry Cathedral in 63'............on the train with my old mate Keith........met a girl from Anstey Leicester,Bradgate road, her name was Judith.......we courted for a while...but it fizzled out because her Dad did'nt like me being from Nottingham,thought we were a rough lot..........huh......

• Upvote 2