Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

You probably right Loppy,..............and i'm reminded of the night i missed the last train from Leicester and decided to Hitch-hike back,..............got picked up just outside Leicester by a Police car.........who gave me a lift to the border with Notts......would'nt happen today..........people just ain't as friendly are they.......certainly not the Cops.......

Edit.....to add not all Cops.......a few just a few still have a sense of humour................

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

# 52.   No, I think we have lost the civil part of the word civilization.  When I first got to Canada, I asked a cop in Toronto for directions.  He grinned at me and said, "Just off the boat, eh.?"  Then proceeded to help me.  Today he might pull his gun thinking I was trying to set him up.  Sad innit? 

• Upvote 2

More from 59' Diary

Thur. April 9th...........Luton 5 Forest 1. team Fraser,whare,Thomas,Whitefoot,Mckinlay,Palmer,Gray,Quigley,Wilson,Barrett,Imlach.

Sun   April 12th........dug a Gusgog bush up on Nursrey Lane,planted in Garden.......

Wed  April 15th.......Went to MTs house........babysat    her Mam and Dad out

Fri     April 17th......took MT to Cavendish flicks..........i had a sucker she had wafer

Sat 18th April..........Forest 1 leicester 4 dwight scored.

Sat 25th April..........went to London with school on train great day London super,also Wembley England schoolboys beat Germany 2-0.............

Sat May 2nd.........FA CUP FINAL.......Forest 2 Luton 1............went daft

• Upvote 3

I know you won't Jill......even my EX's are still friends..............so there Loppy.......lol.

• Upvote 3

Bit more Tat..........from 59' Diary.............don't worry not much left   lol.

from 3rd May to 10th.....it just says MT.........Sun 10th just says 'finished with MT went up Woods,

Sat 16th May......went with Caroline,and Ditto to 23rd May........(.then she packed me up) few years later saw her with 'Flip-le-flem' he was a great Forest player,so i'd shot it anyway,good looking Geezer as well,..tut.

Then theres a gap in Diary untill

Mon 20th July.......went with Susan,Brenda and Barry played records on Common

Fri Aug 14th..Floss went to Margs.......(Floss was my lovely collie Dog i'd had since i was 7,and Marg was my Aunt)

Sat Aug 15th..went to Rhyl for week with Mam and Dad.......love Rhyl

Sun Aug 16th...had alot of fun went all over

Mon Aug 17th.....met up with Fred from school.....had smashing time

Fri  Aug 21st...went to sand dunes and in the sea.........back for Tea with Mrs Saville.............(she was landlady at Boarding house)

Sat Aug 22nd......bit sad leaving Rhyl.........but dead happy getting Floss back.

• Upvote 4

Not as interesting as Ben's diaries but I found two old notebooks. The first is stamped Property of ROF Nottingham. First page is headed 1955. July First race 10 mile TT Ramper windy night 77" gear 27.14. Then - Week after 10 mile TT Ramper good night 82" gear 26.32. This old notebook has notes about my racing and training for the next 6 years + misc notes such as chord fingerings for my G banjo and guitar. The later notebook is stamped Herbert Morris Loughborough and is pretty much the same for a few years.. 

Findings like these really spoil bragging rights 60 years later.....I'm sure I rode further and faster than that - with no water and wearing plimsols riding a butchers bike.....:rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Just a bit more 1959 Diary tat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sat 24th Oct Peveral 1 Padstow 3.............great game

Sat 24th Oct Tottenham 2 Forest 1

Sat 24th Oct...............had date with Jean

Sat 21st November........Burnley 8 Forest 0

Sun 22nd Nov...........Saw 'Conquest of space' at Vernon with Harry Fewkes

Sun 29th Nov.......went to see Lady godiver' at Vernon wth Harry

Mon 14th Dec....Mams birthday..........won 4-3 in school games.......played centre half in first half centre forward in second.

Wed 16th Dec....had school party......Danced alot mainly with Susan.........proper nice she is.

Sun 27th Dec.......Jim died....cried a bit then buried him on Garden,

Last entry for the year was a list of Girls names.........with ratings

Margaret.............8

Edith...............7

Sandra........5

Susan          6

Jean............8

Carol        4

Christine........4

Caroline    10

Diary Tat now finished..........didnt do one after 1959 so you can all relax,......thanks for reading em..............

• Upvote 1

LOL.............It was a very dear next door neighbour Katy............................only Joking Gel..........you are right it was my Budgie......

• Upvote 1

Yes Katy poor old Jim he was in his prime..........never smoked........did'nt touch Alcohol...........or chase women.........just said ''whos a pretty boy'' and fell off his Perch that morning................lol.

I'm surprised you didn't repeat the Monty Python sketch and take him back to the pet shop and tell him, 'This budgie is deceased.'

Btw.  Do you mean to tell us that you didn't teach him to swear?  smile2

• Upvote 1

Girlfriend had a Budgie.  It was amazing how many things that bird could say.  I started to teach him one or two expletives.  :rolleyes:. Then I thought, Dave you are not being smart.  They'll know who did it and you might get the sack.  So I desisted, but I often wondered what the look on my future MIL s face would have been like if that Budgie had hauled off with a couple of choice words. :biggrin:

Edited to add.  I wasn't a preacher then.  LOL.

• Upvote 1

#61. ben, I was interested in the ratings next to each girl's name.  I was aware of a number system, too, but it wasn't to do with giving marks out of ten for likeability.  Number 1 was holding hands.....

• Upvote 1

Might be if i'd put everything in.(lol).......they were just snippits............but being a Gent and very modest left many entries out,...............found and realised when reading em to put on here.......that many names,events and places will now last forever,and came across bits in the Diary that made me sad...........remembering old names from the past who are no longer with us.....and the names i did enter on here were all very dear to me........such as Harry Fewkes who was my life long Pal and passed on last year....

• Upvote 1

Too right Loppy.........if Mam had found owt untoward i'd have soon known about it.......and she Vetted all me gel-friends thoroughly...................she only ever liked two of em,and one Fiance,and one wife luckily the one ive got now............took a girl from Mansfield home once..............never again..........Dad was different, laid back,easy going called em all Sal..........bless him........old school strong silent type,wouldnt be seen dead in a Liberty Bodice.......bought some shoes with what looked like a Diamond on them,.........''what do ya think i should wear with these Dad ?''..............A......Frock''.......said he....lol..

• Upvote 4

Loved me old Dad Jill,.........a man among men......never hit me well quick scuff back of head now then......only my height 5'10'' but twice as wide.........didnt so much talk to me as make statements like 'calm down'......moderation in all things'....'you won't do that again will ya'.,not as clever as you thought you were are ya'...scared by no-one except me Mam......never lost his temper...........once saw him throw a local loud mouth over a garden hedge and just said 'now behave' which he did..........eee i still miss him............my Dad my Sid James lookalike.........lol.

• Upvote 1

Loved mine, too, Ben,  My dad was blessed with matinee idol looks in his younger days and even into his middle years,, the ladies used to flock round him. Didn't worry my mother who knew him inside out and recognised that he wasn't complimentary enough to engage the ladies for long. Dad said having 3 females in the house was enough for any bloke and he wasn't looking for any more. I could get anything I wanted out of dad. He gave me my sense of humour. A very precious gift.  :shout:

• Upvote 2

Speaking of matinee idol looks . My dad in the 1930s probably at Skeggy . So how come I too got the Alf Garnett look  ?  Milkman ?

6339980168_e83389a216_b.jpg

• Upvote 4