Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

Ray ive yet to see a camera that can observe a theft follow the culprit into the street 'nick him' and drag him back to the shop.......lol.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

On the subject of money,

Going to secondary school in the late fifties meant a couple of buses there and a couple back. On my first bus in the morning [ No 19] we often had a conductor called Ted, it was not his name but he had the brothel creepers with drainpipe trousers and Teddyboy haircut and so he was called Ted.He once showed me two old Victorian pennies and asked me what the difference was between them. One he said was normal but the other was a Honolulu penny. I couldn't spot the difference, so he told me. On the normal one the folk in Britania"s rested on her knee, but the other rested on her lulu.

Ray

Penny.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi Benjamin,

There is the old German story of the factory security man who knew that a guy was pinching stuff. Occasionally of an afternoon the guy would wheel a barrow full of boiler ash out of the gate just before the guard went off shift. This ash was tipped in a public mound outside the factory wire so that the local gardeners and builders could freely collect it for use. The guard always searched the barrow and even went back to watch the tip after he clocked off, but he never found anything. Some years after his retirement the guard happened to meet the same guy in a pub. " Allright, it doesn't matter now. I know you were pinching. But, what was it?"    ------ "Wheelbarrows " Was his reply!

Ray

• Upvote 2

#104. Hi Ray, there is a topic titled   Queen Victoria Pennies, you might be interested in.

In the 60s my then boyfriend now husband used to collect the 'Bun Pennies' otherwise known as 'Honalulu Pennies'. We had a great pile, but when our children came along we allowed them  to play with them, consequently the numbers dwindled (down skirting boards,under floorboards etc). We still have quite a few left.

I would have put a link to the topic on here for you, but I have forgotten how to do it. Just type in the topic title in the search box. I hope you enjoy reading the posts about the pennies.

• Upvote 2

Talking of work funnies.

I was 20 years old working on EMGAS when I was sent to Trinity school (I think that's the name) on Beechdale Rd, the one run by nuns.

The New World range cooker in the domestic science lab had lost a burner. The classroom was empty and finding the injector blocked I decided to whip the burner caps of and clean all the injectors, what I didn't know was the classroom had been in use 5 minutes before. As I lifted the second cast iron cap I found out, I cried out in pain as the cap stuck to my finger "bugger me" said I and flipped the offending lump of metal on to the hot plate taking a lump of skin with it.

"I beg your pardon" said a female voice and turning round I saw an elderly lady nun had entered the room. For the next five minutes I stood there saying nowt as a 5ft nothing elderly nun gave me 6ft 2" and 14 stone the biggest talking to I had ever had and she never offered the first aid box.

• Upvote 4
41 minutes ago, carni said:

#104. Hi Ray, there is a topic titled   Queen Victoria Pennies, you might be interested in.

In the 60s my then boyfriend now husband used to collect the 'Bun Pennies' otherwise known as 'Honalulu Pennies'. We had a great pile, but when our children came along we allowed them  to play with them, consequently the numbers dwindled (down skirting boards,under floorboards etc). We still have quite a few left.

I would have put a link to the topic on here for you, but I have forgotten how to do it. Just type in the topic title in the search box. I hope you enjoy reading the posts about the pennies.

I had some bun pennies in the 60's but used to save 'ship half pennies'

• Upvote 1

Incident in note book...........March 95...........Carlton Hill coop.....near what was 'the toby jug'

Saw man (very big bloke) put tin of Fray Bentos corned beef......in each of his 'overcoat' pockets,stopped him at the door,took him upstairs to the staff room,where the Manager was having a break............the bloke never spoke and kept his hands in his pockets clutching the Corned beef.........he looked as if he was going to kick-off,and I didn't fancy being smacked with a tin of Corned Beef........so said to the Manager 'go and call the Police'

wh,wha,wa,wa,wah............the Manager stammered..........I looked at the bloke and he was grinning.........I also had to laugh and said to the bloke,'look pal just give me the corned beef and name and address and bugger off and don't come back....which he did,

Turned out the Manager had a really bad stutter when stressed............and he was trying to say.......'whats the number for the Police'

• Upvote 4

Hi Carni,

The "H" was an indication that it was minted at Heatons in Birmingham. There are also "KN" pennies minted at Kings Norton. A chap was asking a pound each for buyers in the Evening Post the other day . I have a large collection of Victorian pennies somewhere under the stairs   --- I hope, haven't looked for years.

Ray

• Upvote 1

This is for the sentimental ladies among us - type liberty bodice 1950s in search  engine - you get not only liberty bodice but lots of pictures and adverts that  cover our childhood, brought back many happy memories of shopping.

Gem

• Upvote 3

Note book.......Coop house........april 95'

Think I mentioned this one before,but worth repeating,

Old Lady well in her 70s........takes coat £40 value........shoves it in her bag,stopped her outside on Wollaton st,.....gave me load of abuse but eventually returned in store with me.

Asked lady assistant to come to the office with us,........old Lady still giving it large with abuse,.....told her look mi-duck just take coat out of your bag give me your name and address.........and you can go on your way......still having none of it,even though we made her a cup of Tea.

Left with no choice we got the Police,when they arrived conversation went something like this.

Policeman.........now then me dear,these nice people don't want to prosecute you,so just co-operate.

Old lady...........ok

Policeman........that's better........name?

old lady.............Fanny

Policeman...........Fanny what ?

Old Lady............Adams

Policeman.......(getting irritated)......LOOK ONE LAST CHANCE...........NAME?

Old lady.............sorry it is Fanny

Policeman........that's better Fanny..........surname ?

Old Lady.........BY GASLIGHT

she was promptly arrested and took to the nick............

So funny.......still makes me LOL.

• Upvote 5

Loppy.................experience

She certainly had Loppy.....it was a matter of course that the Police searched their Houses,......and can't remember how many but they found lots of brand new coats at her house...........some just do it out of boredom and it gives a kick......bless em

Not really stealing I suppose but very crafty.

When shopping in little waitrose in town,we would often see a certain old lady ask for fish or meat from the counter at back of the shop(they have got rid of this counter now) 

She would then look as if she was browsing and craftily leave the fish or meat on the chilled meat/fish section ,hang around for ages,till the staff reduced it and put it with the reduced items.The woman would then put it in her basket and go to the checkout.Crafty bugger.

• Upvote 1

Among my old 'Tat' just found a letter I sent to a National Newspaper in 2004,pointed out we were a small company and struggled to find the right Staff,

Applicants had applied through the 'Job Centre'........and were generally receiving their 'seekers allowance'.....listed some of the reasons they didn't want the work from their own statements.

1 don't work weekends.

2 only work near home

3 only work days

4 work nights if I can sleep

5 only days till 2pm

6 head butted my last boss

7 on being offered interview............can someone pick me up?

8 i'm bad timekeeper.....but good when I get there.

9 don't work when its cold

10 can't work with other people

Don't know if its changed much in 13 years,somehow doubt it...............

• Upvote 4

I'm assuming by these feeble excuses, that they were all British, because I'm damn sure EU nationals wouldn't come up with such twaddle.

• Upvote 1

By and large yes Fly..........EU nationals came in a bit later.......and whilst you can't generalise they tended to set different problems......had good and bad in all Nationalities................

• Upvote 1

Note book july 98'

Had caught a bloke nicking 2 bottles of Vodka at Coop,Front st,Arnold........he pleaded not guilty and we went to court

I was in the Dock.......and his Solicitor said...........I put it to you Sir 'that my client fully intended to pay for the said items.......how say you?

I replied.............yes,......I thought he was going to pay.......when he stuffed the two bottles in his jacket and leapt over 2 check-outs to the exit.

even the Magistrate burst out laughing..............

• Upvote 6