Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

B45 he'll take a bow,

Three-piece suit from Hector Powe.

Such elegance from head to toes,

And moustache parked under nose.

Strutting downtown on Long Row,

Dapper, looks the bees's knees, Yo!

The one thing that the girls did notice,

His heart-stop threads, a liberty bodice.

It caught the eye of Jillian S,

Her vocab could not express,

With eyes rolled, hands clasped together,

As he passed, his shoes creaked leather.

A thought-bubble did, speak 'my hero',

Dare she speak, I should say so.

'How about a date', said she 'please',

No dates but, had tins of peas.

Before she knew what had hit her,

Spent a quid, you had to titter.

Thus is the allure, beyond the novice,

The lady-bait, the liberty bodice. 

• Upvote 11
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

On the topic of shoplifting.....I checked my stuff through the checkout at Tescos the other week and just reached the door when I noticed my £3 birthday card wedged upright in the corner of my basket. With my shopping bags almost burying it. I had obviously overlooked it when loading my stuff onto the counter.  I have to admit to a moment's hesitation, should I - shouldn't I, before turning back to the tills to pay.

• Like 1

Och I the noo...........i'd have travelled the Highlands and Lowlands seeking my Wee timurus greeting card..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Funny lot the Scots when it comes to Shoplifters.........worked up there a fair bit.......most of em didn't mind getting caught.........but being caught by an Englishman'.......was their worse nightmare..........lol................could relate so many funny incidents with em,............but you probably think I was making em up............

• Upvote 3

Oh go on then,just for you Cranky,lol.

I was working in a place called Stewarton in Ayrshire,known as 'The Bonnet Toon'......lovely place,but some off the wall people there (in a nice way)

Caught a young woman who had filled her bag with jars of Nescafe and for some unknown reason a bottle of 'Iron Brew',strange woman and when I took her back in the shop........could not understand a word she said.........she kept saying something like ''naecorbreetion''...........anyway when the Police arrived they started saying it as well........I was completely lost just didn't grasp it.............then the Copper said to me ''YOU ENGLISH'' ?

He then explained what they were asking me........ie, do you have any one to Corroborate' what you have seen''?........in Scotland the law is different and you have to have someone to Corroborate your statement.........anyway you live and learn and the woman owned up in the end,

They led the woman away........and she was shouting something like................''yasassanach8uck875pr2ck''.............lol.

Oh nearly forgot,that same day Gregor Fisher came in shopping.......just glad he wasn't in 'Rab C. Nesbit' mode..........

• Upvote 3

That's brilliant,I often cannot understand a word when listening to scots people,but my daughter can! Don't know how she does it.

If I holiday in Scotland I have to be careful which area I stay in.The McDonald's hate us even after all this time.I expect you can guess my surname.

• Upvote 2

I've always had good experiences with Scots people.  I worked with a Scotsman in Canada and we became quite good pals as did our wives.  Heard lots of anti English, sassenenach jokes, but I could give as good as I got.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Same here Loppy...........love the Scots......yes they give the English stick.........but if you take it and give some back you are ok,.........was in Glasgow one night when England were playing Scotland.........and it was on in the Pub I was in...........got loads of friendly abuse during the game........mind you I was relieved when Scotland beat us...........and I finished up linked Arms and singing ''Flower of Scotland''............lol.

• Upvote 2

#139.  First wife and I went on a car trip around Scotland in 1967.  We probably still looked like honeymooners although we'd been married two years. Maybe that's why they treated us so well.  ;). We just went b & b.  Most times they would feed us dinner in the evening when we arrived.  Never tried to charge us extra.  Made us feel like family.  Never found any truth to them being tight fisted.  Generous to a fault.

• Upvote 3

Generous?  Do you not know that copper wire was invented by two Aberdonians who simultaneously spotted a ha'penny in the street. :)

• Upvote 1

Not much on here today........apart from RR's favourite games........lol...........do you want to know about me Uncle who walked out of Bulwell Coop with a Trolley without paying............?

• Upvote 1

By request then,

Back in the nineties all my old Aunts and Uncles shopped in Bulwell (and there were alot of em).....and when i was on duty at the Coop used to obviously have a chat with them,..........anyway chatted away at the check-out as one old Uncle was paying,he loaded his pull-trolley'' and i walked to the car park with him..........got to his car and he said ''bleddy hell aint paid for this''........did'nt know what he meant ''what''? i said...................the bleddy trolley'' said he........Coop were selling Pull-trolleys at about a tenner i think........he'd put it in his shopping cart then took it out first and put all his shopping in it.....has you do'...........i told him give us the money when i pop in to see you,dont worry just go home.......i'll sort it,.....which i did and had a good laugh with the Manager...........could have got me sacked.......lol.............so sorry Jill no skeletons in the family cupboard..........

• Upvote 3

Sorry Jill,i told a lie...........many skeletons,but not of the thieving kind...........some much worse than that...................lol:ph34r:

Bit more 'old tat' from notebook........aug 98

Did a staff search at the big Coop in Skegness,.....we used to turn up at closing time out of the blue,.....anyway one woman had a bag full,and the instruction was 'always Police them'.........which we didnt stick to if it was a small amount,they just got the sack........but this woman had nearly £30 worth,and was most put out..........saying ''if i knew you were coming i would'nt have done it''.........(no shit lol.)..............the sequel to this story is,myself and a male colleague were staying at BB in Skeg that night and decided to go in a club disco type place opposite the clock Tower (can't remember its name)........and were having a good evening you know bit of a drink and a dance (not with my male colleague) when the Lady we had caught earlier came up to us at the Bar,......and smilingly said ''no hard feelings lads'' and tapped us both on the shoulder and walked off,alarm bells went off in me when i saw her talking to 3 Bouncers........turns out one big ugly looking meat head was her husband,

Suffice to say,we left rather quickly,followed by the said Bouncers.......a discussion with them ensued,....went something like ''if we see you again at Night in Skeg you will be sorry.........and mention was made of the 'Pilgrims Hospital in Boston...........lol.

• Upvote 2

Just dug out more 'old tat'............several old photo's......of which i'll try and get on here.(wish caftan was about) one is of 'Thrifty Supermarket' Mansfield road Sherwood with 'Special offers'' across the windows......it might prompt some memories of products and prices from 1967,when I was the Manager there.

Chef Tomato Ketchup.......1/5..........Kraft Luncheon Meat.......1/4.......Crosse/Blackwell Soups.....1/1........Persil.....2/10.........Batchelors Soups......10d

Oven Ready Chickens..........8/11..........Vim 10d.........John West Salmon....3/7........Pyrex dishes.......5/11.

Another is a picture of the Easter Bonnet Parade mid 60s at the Railway club Bulwell,...........try and get em put on.

• Upvote 1