Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

Eeh, Ben! Them were the days when you could buy a house, a day trip to London, 6 pairs of shoes, 3 frocks, a couple of liberty bodices, a dozen pairs of grey flannel knickers and still have change out of a tenner for a fish and chip supper!  

We won't see prices like those again.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Ayup Ben - How much was a packet of Player's No.6 in 1967? I seem to recall something like 2/- for twenty.

Crikey! Expensive, even then.  I remember switching to the new Player's No.10s in about 1968 because my apprentice pay was insufficient to cover the more expensive fags.  My brother who was better off than me, used to complain that for every fag he "lobbed", I only "Lobbed" half a fag in return. He smoked Embassy.  We both gave up in the 1980s when fags reached the dizzying heights of £1 per 20 pack :D

Sometime in the 60s I switched to the 'crush packs'.........Peter Styvesant and strand''.............about 4/-........used to flip em from pack to mouth to impress the girls.........mind you more often than not 'missed''....(even with my mouth)...and looked a right 'Plonker''.............lol.

• Upvote 1

#153 grey flannel knickers do you remember the price of them as you had to have two pairs whilst serving your sentence at Manning. Sorry for mentioning them but your trials and tribulations at that penitentiary are embedded in my brain, they are one of the best pieces of writing I have read. Please, please write some more.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to say that the trials and tribulations of The Grey Flannel Knicker Academy...as it would doubtless be dubbed these days...are embedded in my brain too, Trogg! I heartily wish they weren't!

Much as I try not to think about the place, I'll see what else I can dredge up from the sludge at the bottom of my memory. There are bound to be a few ill assorted teachers still down there!  :blink:

As regards the knickers themselves, they were purchased from D&P on Friar Lane. Nowhere else sold the correct shade of grey and if your knickers were non-regulation, watch out for major trouble!

• Upvote 3

Among my old note-books from my SD days also came across 2 books from an old Female work-mate.......dont know how i finished up with em..........anyway met up with her today,a pre-arranged meeting,not seen her for nearly 20 years,great reminiscing about our days together,and she reminded me of our tricks with the mirrors..........so a little trick of the trade that young Jill requested,..........we'd be walking around a Supermarket with a Mirror placed in our trolley..........so with your back to them the suspect had no idea they were being watched,caught 100s that way......even worked with another Lady SD who had ''Wing Mirrors'' on her glasses............any Lifters reading this more tricks of the trade can be given for a fee............@benjamin.co.uk.................lol.

• Upvote 3

Thats right Loppy.........over the years ive had some scary moments,..but have also collected some nice 'criminal injury' payments,...ive always liked an 'edge' to my work (still do)..........as ive said before my 'Gob' mostly works in my favor,.......anyhow i like to relate the funny times on here..........and even some of the so called ''Hard men' are funny................

Jill,.# 162......mirrors are about as High-tec......as it gets with me

Reading my old note books,brought back to me how we used to operate at the Highbury Vale coop,which was once Highbury Picture House........we had a grandstand view of the whole of the shop floor,from where used to be where the projectionist sat,........you saw the act.......then shot down the old fire escape (still there).........just in time to confront the thief...at the exit......always surprised em.....

• Upvote 2

Have actually used a body cam Loppy..........when on certain jobs........also in some Areas we used to wear Stab Vests...........bleddy hot in them,..........lol.

Could add shoplifting stories to this tile?

Had a mate he's dead now, used to do his shopping in a Hyson Green supermarket pay for his items, take them home, then go back with the receipt & get exactly the same stuff & just walk out with it, went on for years! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another good idea RR.............Your mates 'Act of theft'..........was known in the trade as a 'Trolley Push'......if indeed it was a trolley full,and not just a basket............another trick was/is two people at the check-out........after scanning, ,one would walk out with a trolley full ,while the other went thru the motions of looking for their Wallet,then say ''sorry back in a minute left it in car''...........then vanish..........

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Found more 'Tat' from Store Detecting days............in the form of Photo's taken from CCTV systems..........i'd love to get Catfan to put em on here,but probably illegal............Data protection Act'.............so next meet up i attend will bring a few with me.........if anyone interested?

Being a touch Vain most have got me on em (not all).................and for those of you that don't really like me you might enjoy one of me taking a good 'head-butt''............:blink:...........that should ensure a good turnout Chulla !

• Upvote 4
  • 2 months later...

Found a bit more old tat today,

In the form of an old puter tankard,from my Park Tavern football days, its inscribed to, my full name,player manager of the year 1974,from your mates,good luck?

It was my last game for them as i was moving to Peterborough, 

Its now a bit battered, but brings to memory some great old friends, many now gone,but strange as it sounds met up with one this afternoon,at a local football match,daft as it is we had tears in our eyes as we hugged and reminised about old mates and events., this nostalga really gets to me,sometimes too much..   

• Upvote 7

Few days ago sent some of the photos i mentioned of my Store Detecting days to an old colleague who is still doing it (she's in her mid 50s) in central London,............yesterday she sent one to me of her surrounded by a gang of lifters in Oxford street,saying you should be here Ben its great,and with your patter you would love it..............she asked me if i'm up for it in Nottingham or anywhere north........told her definitely...........so another new chapter could be opening up for me.........and i'm sure there will be tales to tell.................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2