Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

It's sometimes good to show emotion...... Do you think I'm this calm and placid all the time ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Emotion is a strange and wonderful thing ,i can get emotional over lots of things.......and i don't think it detracts from manhood......to me it enhances it,....................................i can get emotional and sometimes it brings tears.......such as the other week when meeting a chap i shared my schooldays with and for years after played football together.....he had recently lost a son who used to watch us play......tears were in evidence from us both........cruelty to anyone or any animal as the same effect.......yes we can have the stiff upper lip as British.........but to show emotion is a God given thing......

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

So did i Den.......when my lovely Floss died.........had her when i was about 8......died when i was 22......buried her in Mam and Dads best suitcase on Andover road...........

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Did your Liberty Bodice transfer the ‘pull’ of your suspenders to your shoulders Ben? 

I never realised this favoured undergarment was made so close to Nottingham. 

58_E447_E8-9944-4265-991_B-_A63_CC48_DC0

• Like 3

LOL.................I had perfect bodily freedom Lizzie thanks,,and never had suspenders that pulled my shoulders...........may try em..........lol

On 2/17/2017 at 10:15 AM, Chulla said:

B45 he'll take a bow,

Three-piece suit from Hector Powe.

Such elegance from head to toes,

And moustache parked under nose.

Strutting downtown on Long Row,

Dapper, looks the bees's knees, Yo!

The one thing that the girls did notice,

His heart-stop threads, a liberty bodice.

It caught the eye of Jillian S,

Her vocab could not express,

With eyes rolled, hands clasped together,

As he passed, his shoes creaked leather.

A thought-bubble did, speak 'my hero',

Dare she speak, I should say so.

'How about a date', said she 'please',

No dates but, had tins of peas.

Before she knew what had hit her,

Spent a quid, you had to titter.

Thus is the allure, beyond the novice,

The lady-bait, the liberty bodice. 

Thought i'd add this one from chulla, bless him.....................

• Like 4

Hector Powe! There's a blast from teh past - my brother worked for Hector Powe for about six months when he left school in 1967.

• 2 months later...

With having time on me hands been 'rummaging'.......found an old school report from 1957........

Form 2A   Teacher Miss Parkinson,  (god i loved her,,squeezed a cold sponge on me 'Goolies' at a school football match''

English...............very good,,needs to learn to slow down.......

Geography.........Excellent,,has a lust for the subject........

Maths...............sadly struggles with Algebra........

Science............Don't seem interested..........

Religious knowledge..........Average,,easily distracted........

Games...........(modesty forbids)

Woodwork........needs to apply himself

Metal work......he is just not interested,,but must stop dis- rupting others

Funny reading this after 60 years.........but so very true for the rest of my life................

AS above missed history''           Mr Betts said ''he as a passion for the subject'' liked Mr Betts used to tell us his War stories in the middle east, he gave me the ''Strap'' but still liked him............he called a girl in our class 'Bunty' don't know why ,her name was Carol Williams lived on Teviot......lovely lass still lives there,,one of my sons got to know her,,can't recall how now, probably courting a neighbour,,but she sent me a message years ago through him........saying ''you always a cheeky bugger Paul miss you.........which was lovely............

• Like 2

She probably would Jill........but i loved her.......and she had a lovely smile while doing it......:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 2/20/2017 at 12:07 PM, Compo said:

On the topic of shoplifting

Stood in Wilko's on Parliament Street on Sunday deciding which Gillette Mach3 razor blades to buy a 5/10/15 pack, they are stored on a metal pole with a security tag on the end, think you ask the assistant if you need a packet, this bloke stood next to me grabbed about 10 packs (£20 each) gave them a good yank & blatantly walked out setting off the door alarms, no one battered an eyelid!

Later that day near Squares a youth asked me if I was interested in any aftershave, he had a bag full all top names the £50-£80 type!    

• Like 1

Oh red,, how i miss it....trouble is ,no company's want to pay proper money to catch em,, they would sooner pay increased insurance,, company's advertise for ''Store Detectives'' at miniumun wage rate,, you want thief catchers'' pay the price,,..........proper SDs are professional and do the business,,

• 10 months later...

Being bored and on me own.........started going through some boxes,had no idea what i'd find.......there was stuff i thought i'd lost years since,,,Donna must have packed em on one of our moves.

Loads of old love letters from teenage years,,,plus birthday xmas and Valentine cards,,

Lots of papers from school days at Padstow,,including little handbooks of school Cricket fixtures,,,and amazingly adverts for 'Players cigs'' printed in them,,also scorecards from school with all my old team-mates in,,when we played against other schools we always had 2 girls with us who did the scoring,,,also printed in the books is every school cricket ground,,,Padstow being Bulwell Common.

Also in the boxes were 3 fag lighters and 3 cigarette cases,,again from my teen years,,,my school science book was there,and i was surprised how good my handwriting was,,i also did the reports for school football and cricket matches which i read on stage,,and was delighted to find a couple of them more or less still readable...........had to pack up sorting after a while,started to feel too 'melancholy''.........especially when i saw the contents of the next box,,which was all my Dads old bits,,............perhaps another day..........

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Another item i found that i had forgot about,,was a Wallet from the Yugoslavia of the late 50s,,,my Grandad gave it me on his return from holiday there...Remember him going think about 1959,,which back then was fairly unusual for a working class chap,,,Yugoslavia was still a Communist state under President (Marshal) Tito,,albeit less strict from most others,,,think the part he visited is now part of Croatia.

Anyway this Wallet is a bit 'Tatty'' now,,,and has a picture of a Bi-kini clad lady on both sides,,quite risque for its day,,and i remember school mates liking it...............inside were two membership tickets for a Dance club one with my name on and the other with an ex girlfriends name on,,both with membership dates stating 1964 to 1967,,,no address,it just says Nottinghams premier Dance Venue'' can't for the life of me think where it was,,,?

• Like 1
On 9/17/2017 at 2:07 PM, Brew said:

Showing emotion? Good lord no, I'm English. Emotion is quite properly reserved for mothers, children when little and possibly small furry creatures.

Then again men only have two emotions, hungry or horny. If your man doesn't have an erection - make him a sandwich.  :rolleyes:

All good things come to those who wait.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:31 PM, radfordred said:

Stood in Wilko's on Parliament Street on Sunday deciding which Gillette Mach3 razor blades to buy a 5/10/15 pack, they are stored on a metal pole with a security tag on the end, think you ask the assistant if you need a packet, this bloke stood next to me grabbed about 10 packs (£20 each) gave them a good yank & blatantly walked out setting off the door alarms, no one battered an eyelid!

Later that day near Squares a youth asked me if I was interested in any aftershave, he had a bag full all top names the £50-£80 type!    

Maybe the chap was a "PEAKY BLINDER"

Was looking around a book stall and came across "Black Beauty" just had to buy it, then another book from day's when young "Heidi" again just had to buy it, have read and re-read these books many a time, now to complete my mission must look out for Anna of Green Gables, and What Katie Did.

• Like 1

Mary, I've still got Black Beauty and Heidi.... I never read Anne of Green Gables or What Katy did!  I liked the Mallory Towers books and Famous Five (but not the Secret Seven).  

• Like 1

Thanks lopplugs I always wondered       "What Katie did next"

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

More Sentimental old tat turned up today,,,an old suitcase was full of stuff i'd not seen for years,,,,lots of pictures of long departed relatives,,many of the photos over 80 years old.plus photos of my infant school (Henry Whipple) almost 70 years ago,,,May day about 1950 where i'm dancing with a girl called Ann Shelton,,,i mention her name because you never know she may read this,,and for the same reason the others are Marian Perry,,Roy Burton,,Edith Nix,,Michael Laurence,,Beryl Hughes,,Roy Whyers,,and Valerie Biddulph,,,would love any of them to recognise themselves or a relation or friend...Must try and get one of my family to put the photo's on here for me.

Also turned up in the case is a Handwritten list (think by my Grandad) of all the members of the Oakleigh Lodge British Legion, Basford,,1967,,and the subs they paid.

Finally there are two Premium bonds that were my Grandmothers dated 1970,,,,going to check if they are winners......lol.

Anyway not exactly ''Old Tat''' but very Sentimental.....................

• Like 3