Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Still finding ''Sentimental old stuff''.....I had forgot about,,,...... Photo's,,Letters,,records,,Books and CD's,,,.....went looking in second hand stores yesterday,,,needed another book case,which i found plus a Drinks cabinet i didnt need,,but looked so nice at a good price,,and a couple of lovely small wooden stools.

Anyway spent a couple of hours finding homes for me new bits of furniture,,,,then adding things to put in/on them.Among the books that turned up were,,one entitled ''The counties of Britain'' a Tudor Atlas by John Speed.....i love geography,,and this book i purchased a few years ago at the British Library'' in London,,,fascinating looking at the lay of our land in Tudor times and how our old spellings have evolved.

Whilst re-arranging the lounge and its furniture played one of the CDs that turned up,,,'''Hot Chocolate''  ''Every 1''S a winner Baby''' and ''You Sexy thing''..........unbeatable music from the late great  ''Errol Brown''.........Wife still away,,,so made myself useful sorting all this Clobber,,,hope she likes what ive done   :wacko:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Easter-Bonnet.jpg

The above ladies were all regulars at the Railway club when i was one of the Barmen early to mid 60s,,obviously Easter Bonnet Parade,,,among the ladies are my Mother,,,(can Jill or anyone pick her out?) my Aunt Gwen,,,Margaret Harrison and Joyce Richards two of the Barmaids i loved working with,,,and most of the other ladies i recall what their drink of preference was,,,Snowballs,,Cherry 'B',,Babycham........great bunch of drinking ladies,,,,

• Like 3

2nd from right back row,,,3rd from right my Aunt Gwen,,,

Mam made both their Bonnet's............can't recall who won,,,

Was difficult our Jill........but you got the right row.......lol

I did look at her but didn't think so. Working on the premise that boys look like their mum (CT looks exactly like his!) I couldn't really see anyone who resembled you and some of the ladies are too young. Perhaps you look more like your dad?

I'm a bit of a mixture......so they told me.......now i've got me Granddaughter sorting for me.....i'll get a couple of Pics of me dear old Dad on......

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 6:39 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Still finding ''Sentimental old stuff''.....I had forgot about,,,.....

I'm resurrecting this thread just to let Ben know that I've seen him spreading the word on Facebook ;)

• Like 2

Yes saw that cliff ton.........Liberty Bodices,,got a lot of comments did'nt it....Edit.............first time ive seen other blokes admit to wearing em when young....

• Like 3

Don't think so Margie,,,and whilst we are 'Waxing Lyrical'.....it was my birthday a few weeks since and someone pointed out to me (on here or facebook) that i was their oldest friend,,,which in turn got me thinking,,,who in this world has known me the longest.

Apart from one uncle and one Aunt ,oh yes and four cousins,,,it turns out its my old next door neighbour,,we grew up together and i still see him,and we have short chats,,,...................I find him a special person,,,i suppose he is really.....played 'Football and Cricket together,,went to same school ,different years,,....introduced him to his wife (1966 they still together)...had days out with the rest of the street on a bus to Cleethorpes and Skegness,,,got him two jobs where i worked Marsdens and Gibsons,,,.........can anyone tell me what i'm on about ?...................oh yes ''Waxing Lyrical'''..........

• Like 3

See what you mean now Margie,,,just had a look back,,,,think Terence was using his sense of humour,,,,which i liked............

can anyone tell me what i'm on about ?

I also have that problem daily Benj. It doesn't worry me. It only lasts from about 7am till 10pm. :)

Don't ask me what I did with this post, That's another thing?lol:wacko:

• Like 1

Carni have you been secretly spying on me? you are describing me perfectly, it must be this isolation that's causing this problem. I planned so many projects to keep me occupied so now I have no time to do anything, as I am unable to go and purchase items  I now need and I am going around in circles unable to decide what it is possible to do next. I think I will sit and watch videos for the next week with large cream cakes. How am I going to get the cream cakes?

• Like 1

I quite like this feeling. It doesn't worry me because in about five minutes I will have forgotten what it was  anyway?

Forgotten what?

My husband (the Black Country bloke) repeats throughout the day in his best Nottingham accent 'What yo on wi ,duck or What yo on abaat naah' He does the accent quite well, after being together 56yrs,, plenty of practice.

Anyway Trogg, it's nice to know I am not alone in this befuddled state. Keep up the good work and one day you will be rewarded by an 'Elephants Foot'. The edible sort of course!

Right then.Twaddle over with for a while, but I see another day of bafflement looming. :biggrin:

19 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes saw that cliff ton.........Liberty Bodices,,got a lot of comments did'nt it....Edit.............first time ive seen other blokes admit to wearing em when young....

My mum made me wear one as a 5/6 year old for school in the winter. I remember the rubber buttons well. She also knitted me a navy blue balaclava. I looked a bit of a pillock but my ears were nice and warm.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, carni said:

can anyone tell me what i'm on about ?    I also have that problem daily Benj. It doesn't worry me. It only lasts from about 7am till 10pm. :)

Don't ask me what I did with this post, That's another thing?lol:wacko:

Carni, can you translate that into another language ?  You seem to have moved into a parallel universe.

I'm awarding you the prize for the most incomprehensible post I've ever seen on Nottstalgia ;)

• Like 2

I was forced to wear a liberty bodice into my early teens. After almost turning up my toes, aged 5, with a very bad case of measles, I was left with an unfortunate predisposition to chest infections every winter and was a regular client at Forest Dene on Gregory Boulevard.  Hence the liberty bodice to keep me warm.

If I complained about it, I was reminded by my mum that she had to wear one as a child but hers was the sort that had 'pockets' into which a type of wadding was inserted in very cold weather. As the spring approached and temperatures rose outdoors, this wadding was gradually removed until just the basic bodice was left!  

When I started Manning, there were one or two other girls in liberty bodices.

Can somebody enlighten me, what in heaven is a liberty bodice? Or is it a subject too delicate for my eyes.

I've led a sheltered life. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm awarding you the prize for the most incomprehensible post I've ever seen on Nottstalgia 

Well thank you CT Miduck. Can you add an Ology on that anawl. Me mam would have been really proud if I got an Ology in sommat.

I would try to explain, but it can only get worse. Believe me! I will tell you this much.....I wanted to refer to a line in Benjs post, two before mine. I didn't want to quote the line as it was too close to mine. Sooooooo, I copied and pasted the line. Ooowa, it worr all down hill from there. Soz. Lol. :rolleyes:

• Like 2