Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Yes I do benj, I have a photo of us in there, must find it. We always called it 'The Long Bar', right up the far end of the road, on the corner. Not sure if that was its proper name though. It had the Juke box with the videos. The one that stays in my mind was 'Screaming Lord Sutch singing Jack the Ripper'. You can see the video on You Tube. I can't remember if it was a tanner or a bob to play it.

• Like 1

Blimey.....that Juke box always stuck in my mind.....glad someone else recalls it.....i was beginning to think i had imagined it......

I was a bit obsessed with it, we spent a lot of our holiday dosh in that place. (Not that we had much) We were mostly under drinking age to go in a lot of places, but we got away with it in there. One Whiteways Cider would last us hours. All good fun!

• Like 1

Ben, that juke box you're on about. Sutton in Ashfield pit canteen had one. That must have been about 1968ish. When I worked on the tipper lorries, we often used to do Sutton to Ketton cement, Stamford with what we called 'Slack'. Taking a tea break after loading, I was fascinated with being able to choose music and watch the artiste and it was all free too ! Me dad had to keep reminding me, " Come on lad, it's time we went".

Used to do 2 or 3 runs, of about 120 miles round trip.

• Like 1

The locals called Sutton pit Brierley Colliery or the Bread and Herring Pit

There was an explosion at the pit in 1957 that killed 5 men and seriously injured 15

A sad reminder of the price of coal

Referring back to my post about the Juke Box location. I got it all wrong. Soz. Hubbs believes it was down stairs in a pub opposite the pier, no idea what it was called, but we did used to end up in 'The Long Bar' up tuther end. Basically, we went anywhere that we could sneak in, being as in 1964 we where only sweet sixteen. I blame SueB48 for leading me astray.....well she was two weeks older than me and she still is???.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Crikey  Carni, that puts me 5 years older than the pair of you!!

Sob story coming up.......Never went to Skegness for a holiday, although had been on occasional day trips. Never saw the sea until I were 15/16. First holiday came with future in laws and bride to be. That were when I  19/20ish. When we got married and our nipper came along, we used to take him to Chapel-St-Leonards. We used to stay in a little bungalow on Kings chalet park, that belonged to Nottingham  Spastics Society. Had some lovely holidays there.

• Like 2

Are you the one carrying the bag CT? (says he with tongue in cheek). :rolleyes:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, carni said:

Yes I do benj, I have a photo of us in there, must find it. We always called it 'The Long Bar', right up the far end of the road, on the corner. Not sure if that was its proper name though. It had the Juke box with the videos. The one that stays in my mind was 'Screaming Lord Sutch singing Jack the Ripper'. You can see the video on You Tube. I can't remember if it was a tanner or a bob to play it.

Hi Carni,  the jukebox with videos was at the Seaview Hotel. The pub with the downstairs bar was the Jolly Fisherman. The upstairs bar was closed during the off-season.

Great memories.

Regards,

Will2017.

• Like 2

Thank you WIll2017, You have cleared up a hazy memory for us. Things get a bit foggy these days. I'm sure benj will be pleased to read of the location as he too has memories of the Juke Box. 

• Like 1

Im sure your'e right Will2017........But i thought it was a cafe,,,SeaView hotel rings a bell,,,,near the County Hotel.....think me Marbles are rattling round a bit,,,last night in me dreams i was selling ''Babycham''' in pint bottles from a lock-up on Bulwell Market,,....oh yes and bunches of Cherries,,,certainly doing more at night than in the day.......now then wheres them Photo's..................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah Ah    a date at last Jill...........we'll sit by the Bogs whilst you sip the Babycham........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Its OK Jill.........i was arguing with an Irishman i used to work with,,,on the way to the Isle of Man in a rowing boat......:wacko:

• Like 1

To be honest WB i love the I.O.M.........used to go there by myself,,when i needed to re-charge my Batteries.....walked a lot of the Coastal Path,,,found the people tended to keep themselves to themselves....favourite spot on the Southern tip looking to the Calf of Man,,,,where are you mate ?

Long may it stay like this Ben, love the peace and quiet.

Mass tourism to here finished in the 1970's and only hoteliers would like it back!

Mind you, I going to miss the excitement of TT fortnight this year.

• Like 1
Just now, benjamin1945 said:

,where are you mate ?

I'm in Onchan, couple of miles away from Douglas.

Still lovely down by the Calf, take the dogs down there quite a lot...