Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

Pretty sure it was Onchan where i stayed a couple of times in a Motel on the main road,,,?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

Santon Motel WB..........Just looked back....we done this conversation in 2018..WB....lol,,....if i come back (which i'd love to) you can buy me a Coffee and Jill a 'Babycham'   in the ''Sound''......Patrick Swayze filmed in there,,,sat at same table (different day)  (proper name dropper me).....Fancy ''Dirty Dancing'' Jill ?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ben, you wouldn't recognise the Sound cafe now. The atmospheric little cafe has been demolished and a new one built a little further from the edge. Not 'alf as nice now.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g6649338-d1830220-i337399813-The_Sound_Cafe-Cregneash_Isle_of_Man.html

• Like 1

Thanks WB.....Shame its changed,,,just read some of the mixed reviews,,,seems a bit expensive now.....

Nice Cats home also i visited and spent relaxing couple of hours....Jill i reckon your'e packing your bags now......lol

• Like 1

Shhhh Ben, the cats home isn't there anymore.

Dodie, Ramsey is pretty quiet at the best of times, but I went there last Friday and everywhere was sooo quiet. Took the dogs along Parliament Street and there was only a couple of other dog walkers out and about. Had the beach next to the pier all to ourselves.

• Like 1

Pity about cats home,,im a cat lover and felt right at home amongst em,,nice staff too,, so no sound""as it was,,no cats home,, what about maxey wheel and coastal railway? 

Hiya Ben, the wheel is the Laxey  wheel, known as Lady Isabella. There is another smaller one a bit lower down towards Laxey, but for the life of me, I cannot remember her name. I have no doubt that WB will enlighten  my ignorance. We were on a coach tour on IOM and on one trip, the driver stopped off at a Fudge factory, which was no good to me, being a diabetic. So I  did ask if our next stop could be an insulin factory. Sarcasm totally wasted, it went straight over his head. Loved Peel and Steam railway!

Hi BK, the smaller wheel is Lady Evelyn...

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMVA7A_The_Lady_Evelyn_Waterwheel_Laxey_Isle_of_Man

The steam railway goes from Douglas to Port Erin in the south (very popular for stag nights).

Hope you enjoyed your time over here, we do get a lot of coach tours from all over the UK.

• Like 1

Thank you WB., for response, it is very much appreciated. Yes I did enjoy visiting the IOM. We travelled to Aintree for overnight then down to Heysham for the ferry. My brother Derek used to live on Victoria road, Douglas, but never got opportunity to see him. He used to work at the local police station( it was said so they could keep an eye on him). We stayed at a golf club outside Douglas, but had no transport apart from the holiday coach. While at Laxey, we went on the Snae Fell railway, lovely sunny day but when reaching the summit you couldn't see a bloody thing due to low cloud. We still had our picnic sarnies outside though, (sitting on a bench across the line and we couldn't even see the train !). I loved it all, but wasn't too keen on the journey back, with coach then ferry (No Seats!), then a long coach journey back home to the South Coast.

Having said all that, would dearly love to come back, especially for a ride on the Douglas to Laxey trams. Cheers, Barrie.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..

pics1

Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS

pics3

Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam and Dad,, ya like me POM-POMS?

pics4

• Like 13

Ben, I don't think the top one is Long Row, I reckon it's the town end of Carrington Street. In front of the trolleybus you can just see the name of Sawyer's Arms; and the building on the right with vertical lines is Woolies.

Great photos though !

• Like 1

You probably right Cliff ton............all these years thought it was long row,,,

Edit,, photos thanks to Chloe,,,

Just a footnote to the above photo's...........

Loved the way my Mother and her 5 sisters all dressed,,,remember them all singing,,and getting ready to go  out,,

Grandad,,,was a Sherwood Forester in WW1,,Only saw his scars once,,when he was in the tin bath in front of the fire,,always very smart.

Cousin Doris,,still with us,,bless her,,lives at Clifton,,

Grandma,,lived till she was 99,,lovely lady...

• Like 8

Always dressed Posh cliff ton,,,for a council estate kid,,,i never minded wearing what Mam knitted me,,,she was a dress-maker and was always on her Singer' sewing machine or knitting something....She gave me my love of clothes ,which i still have...

Why thank-you kind lady...........'I doff my Cap to you''

Over the years ive had spells of Hat wearing,,,sometimes a Trillby and sometimes a flat cap........never a Baseball Cap.....,,

It's what my uncle George used to call a bobbydazzler!

Loved my uncle George. He was straight John Bull, no messing about. If he saw an overweight person in the street, he'd comment, "She's a boiling bit!" 

• Like 1

My maternal grandfather was fanatical about caring for clothes. He was a very snappy dresser. Suit, waistcoat, watch chain, shirt with winged collar, bow tie or cravat. Always wore a hat when out and carried gloves and a walking cane, shiny shoes and a carnation in his lapel.

My mother was brought up to look after her clothes. Never permitted to throw them a chair but had to give them a shake, press the shoulder pads together and put carefully on a coat hanger in the wardrobe.  That was handed on to me.

I dread to think what grandad would have made of today's modes of dress. Even when gardening, he always wore a suit, shirt and tie.

• Like 1