Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

I once told a girl in Mansfield i was a Gynaecologist (had to look up spelling)  she didnt believe me and asked me to spell it..Rumbled..........lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964    

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Believe it or not been sorting more 'Sentimental Tat'' today.....4 large boxes of stuff going back to my school days.......we had put them in an outhouse when we moved here just over two years since.......

Won't bother you with the old love letters from early 60s..you'd think i was girl mad......lol.....

It was an assortment of mine me Dads and even Grandads old mostly paper work........Did'nt find much i could chuck out....i'm just to sentimental......

Things like an empty Bells whisky bottle from 1982 when i walked the Pennine Way (well some of it) faded writing on it..included the dates 12th to 18th September 1982...drank a wee dram most nights on the walk..........people i met in the evenings at various places had signed it but now to faded to read........

Another crazy bit of 'Tat' was about 6 inches of a school chair which we took to pieces on my last day at Padstow....several of us had a piece and scratched our signatures on each bit.....so still got mine after 60 years...with the signatures of Fred...JB...Snev....Nel....and TT..........

Also a small white purse with Sandra written on it.......i do remember her.......

A wallet that my Grandad bought me when he went to Yugoslavia in 1957 with a lady named 'Bubbles'  ...don't ask)

Finally without going thru so much more....my Grandma's Coop grocery order book.......interesting what she purchased at the time...it was just her and Grandad (not the Yugoslavia one)...........

13/4/55

2lb sugar.................1-3

1/2 lb Tea................4-0

1/2lb cheese...........1/9 halfpenny

1/2lb Lard................1-1 halfpenny

40 Players...............7-2

2 boxes matches....'''''4

1/2lb pkt Butter.......2-1

Cooked Ham............1-11

Powder......................1-7

Scour Pads...............,,,8

Camomile....................5

Total paid............£1-2-4

Grandad liked his Players Navy Cut........lol

• Like 7

Been studying Grandma's 'Coop Order Book' this morning....Fascinating to read from 1955........Actually printed by the Coop...Front Page......Grandma's name, address,Saxondale drive..Highbury Vale...

Share no.  53972...

Nottingham..Cooperative society Ltd,,,,telephone 2253

Registered office and central departments..

UPPER PARLIAMENT ST.;NOTTINGHAM....

A list of reminders inside front page..when ordering...

Among them...

Blacklead

Blue.....(known to us as 'Nobs of'')

Borax

Candles

Candied Peel

Currants

Emery Paper

Furniture cream..

How times have changed......Grandma's order throughout 55 was always between £1-2s and  £1-10s........including Grandads 40 Players at 7s 2d........... 

Paul used to give me £5 each week for ‘housekeeping’ when we got married in 1966.  I often had to leave certain things off my shopping list because I ran out of money!  I often used to tell myself ‘I’ll buy that NEXT week’

edit:  just been pondering and realised this wasn’t in 1966, it was around 1972 when we had 3 children’s and a dog!  And we both smoked at that time

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Been studying Grandma's 'Coop Order Book' this morning....Fascinating to read from 1955...........

including Grandads 40 Players at 7s 2d........... 

I'm surprised how relatively expensive that is, even for the time. A packet of 20 Players for 3/6d. 

Players, Senior Service and Capstan Full Strength were 'premium' cigarettes and quite a bit more expensive than Park Drives.

In the late 50's the local paper shop (Allcocks on Rochester Walk Clifton) would sell you 5 Park Drive for 9d, if he had no packets of 5 he'd split a 10 and put 5 in a little triangular sweet packet. Even so 3/6 does sound a bit expensive for 1955

I used to buy a packet of Domino fags, sold in fours for sixpence, on my way to school, back in 1957. Harris' shop on Kennington Road, Radford, (In Nottingham RR). Proper coffin nails they were. You could also buy a single cigarette that was at least twice as long as a normal one, but can't remember what they were called.

BK they were  called  Joy Stick.

Other 'novelty' ciggies were Sobranie  Black Russians and Sobranie Cocktails, they had pastel coloured paper  and both still made by Gallaher.

Edit: The Sobraine cocktails were unusual in that they were oval not round

7/2 FOR 40 Brew.......one cant speak cant lie........every week Granma had em on her order and signed Paid' by the Coop...

Park drive were 2/8 for 20 in 1960........Grandad being an EX Navy man......loved his players Navy-cut.......

Even after 3 years still miss a good smoke...........people trash Smoking and smokers......but probably 90% smoked back in the day..........and to hear people slagging smokers off is mere Hypocrisy......it was a normal thing to do.....it was certainly part of me...........nothing like a drink and a smoke...especially after a 'KISS and Cuddle'':rolleyes:

Oh I believe Ben it's just a surprise that were was such a big difference. As for smoking I'm now heading for my third anniversary of stopping and still have the occasional (surprisingly strong) craving.

Back in the day it was unusual to meet a non-smoker and in one job we could even claim expenses for buying cigarettes to hand to customers

• Like 1

3RD Anniversary for me too Brew.......when i was a teenager and did any travelling for Marsdens i also claimed for my Cigs....Boss called me a 'Cheeky Bugger'' but still laughed as he paid me with a Woodbine in his mouth.......

I've been stopped smoking for about 45 years at least and I sometimes still fancy one (a cigarette that is). I would still describe myself as a 'smoker who doesn't touch tobacco. I don't object to folks smoking in my company, but having said that, I have a neighbour who's apartment stinks like a stale ashtray when you walk past. I once went in her place to fit a lampshade and nearly choked, I couldn't get out fast enough! Never been in since.

You probably 'Smelt' like it back in the day BK........Nowt like the 'Wiff of ''Baccy'' mixed with the ladies ''Estee Lauder'' and my 'Old Spice'' on the dance floor............

I had a lovely faithful Dog from when i was 7 to i think i was 22....

IVE just noticed in my 1957 Diary that 'Floss'' had her birthday today in 1952..14/8/52......she followed me everywhere in my schooldays......even sat outside my school classroom on occasions..

Anyway she would have been 69 today.........lol

• Like 2

Loved my Floss.........she was a Spaniel (mostly).......and one of a litter of my Grandads dog 'Fluff''........i remember picking her out of the litter in Grandma's kitchen.......we took her everywhere with us as kids......Bulwell Common...Vernon Park when i went fishing......even to Cleethorpes with me and Trina in my Ford Thames van.........

I was still living at home the night she died 67 or 68..........she was ill and i wrapped her in a blanket in front of the Coal fire...every time i tried to go to bed she looked at me and gave a little Howl........so i slept near here on the settee.........when i woke in the morning she had Passed away.........

I got Mam and Dads best suitcase put her in it with the blanket.......and buried her down the garden very deep............

Broke my heart..............

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Ben, that’s so beautiful your sleeping next to Floss on her last night  ……

I slept next to our Border Collie X (Shep) on his last night before he was taken to the vet in the morning.  He had tried so hard to climb the stairs with us when we were going to bed, but he just had to give up….

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1