Sentimental old Tat and liberty bodices

My maternal grandfather was fanatical about caring for clothes. He was a very snappy dresser. Suit, waistcoat, watch chain, shirt with winged collar, bow tie or cravat. Always wore a hat when out and carried gloves and a walking cane, shiny shoes and a carnation in his lapel.

My mother was brought up to look after her clothes. Never permitted to throw them a chair but had to give them a shake, press the shoulder pads together and put carefully on a coat hanger in the wardrobe.  That was handed on to me.

I dread to think what grandad would have made of today's modes of dress. Even when gardening, he always wore a suit, shirt and tie.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mother circa 1951..........enjoying Chicken leg,, on Sea wall in Rhyl      Me and Grandad,,on way to watch Notts cricket Trent Bridge.........circa 1950      

Mam and Aunt  Gwen...........Long row  1949,,edit......Carrington street..     Skegness 1946....cousin Doris,,Mam,,Me,, and GrandadS   Skegness 1946,,,,with Mam

B45 he'll take a bow,    Three-piece suit from Hector Powe. Such elegance from head to toes,    And moustache parked under nose.   Strutting downtown on Long Row,    Dapp

Posted Images

Just realised that if anyone ‘likes’ the photos of your kittens, I’ll get all the credit!   Sorry about that Ben.  They really are beautiful kittens - do they miaow with a Geordie accent?

• Like 1

you deserve the credit mi duck........

Why  eye................Meow...lol

• Like 1
On 7/5/2020 at 6:38 PM, benjamin1945 said:

pics2

Goose Fair 1949 ,,with Grandma and a Sucker,,,

Often wonder who the folk in the background were and after looking at them over so many years feel i know them............

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
E5E80B10-58AB-473E-9EAE-286F5F80502D

Trent Bridge 2010

Trent Bridge 1950

34A066BE-23B5-4B96-9056-BEA205A80070

• Like 11

4C41798A-2809-4BF3-8FF7-E6466F58EDA2

Fishing with Trina.... Gunthorpe 1964

C870C5FA-1BAC-4E02-9593-1B0BD8A37DCC

• Like 11

Had a bit of a shock when I saw the photo of Trina - she looks a bit like I did in my late teens :Shock:  but that name has never been one of my aliases.  

Once at Leicester Palais, I was Yvette Montrey from Marseilles..... I was with a group of girlfriends and they dared me to Do it.  I managed to carry it off with two lads who asked me to dance, and even the band there played Happy Birthday to me because one of my friends went over and told the band i was visiting from France and it was my birthday!

• Like 4

Heh, one step to the right and it would a whole different picture!  

• Like 2

Wondered who'd spot that lol 

Ben.. I'd say you had the composition 'down pat'...  ;)

And Trina looks like a very lovely young lady.

• Like 1

I think she's really Trina...who was/is lovely ..with a touch of Mediterranean about her...........

• Upvote 1