I can see you are a person of good taste Mess. Tommy Cooper doesn't have to do anything; just a look will cause us to start laughing. We went to see him once and it took 15mins for him to get on stage, but he had the audience in hysterics giving his account of the journey from dressing room to stage. Once on stage; a little cough, a look and a walk through the gate was all it took to bring the house down. I was watching his act the night he sadly passed away, at first we thought it was part of his act, it soon became apparent that it wasn't. so very sad. He is still our favourite.

• Upvote 1

Yes, as an entertainer I thought he was great, but I did watch a programme about him and it did change the way I thought of him. He certainly wasn't someone to admire by the way he ran his private life and especially the way he treated his wife Dove. There are plenty of accounts of this on the internet. No secrets safe these days.

The above mentioned 'celebrities' (Who I also mostly dislike) are mere irritations.  Don't watch them if you don't like them.  I can think of far worse people currently weilding much more power than they do.

When I was a lad, 'chatty' meant dirty, untidy or scruffy, though I don't doubt that the link to 'chats' is also valid.

Equally, if I was 'itching' in my clothes, my Mum would ask if I as 'lousy'.  I didn't understand what it meant.

Col

• 5 years later...