• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first posting of the cards in the pre-war Players set of motor cars. Not every member is a car buff, so I will be interspersing cards of different subjects to try and please others. The in

Superb stuff Chulla keep em coming, hopefully you will post them all in this tread? There was a topic on here "Nottingham from the air" that I was trying to show someone over Christmas sadly they where posted in different treads part 1 part 2 etc it would have been fantastic if in one tread ....... Needless to say I gave up looking. 

2 hours ago, radfordred said:

There was a topic on here "Nottingham from the air" that I was trying to show someone over Christmas sadly they where posted in different treads part 1 part 2 etc it would have been fantastic if in one tread ....... Needless to say I gave up looking. 

It was me who did the "Nottingham from Above" series. They are all still here. https://nottstalgia.com/forums/forum/30-images-of-nottingham/?page=3

They suffered from the Photobucket mess, but I've repaired most of them.

• Like 2

Sorry CT. I remember Catfan posting some footage what his son took from his drone thingy, I think,

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Sorry CT. I remember Catfan posting some footage what his son took from his drone thingy, I think,

Rog

Think of that as modern version of what I'd cobbled together !     In 50 years time, the catfan material will be featuring in a future version of Nottstalgia.

• Like 1

Cars_p4.jpg

Dogs_p3.jpg

Radfordred; I have created this dedicated thread specifically for the cigarette cards that I will post.

A chap at where I worked had one of those Alvis drop-head saloons.

• Like 3

The Austin Ruby was the most popular pre-war car on the road when I was young. The ones I remember well had the spare wheel in an encasement at the back. Surprised to see that it had four synchromesh gears. At 125 pounds, no wonder it was a very popular car.

Is that Plantfit and Rosemary in the three-wheeler?

Cars_p5.jpg

Cycling_p7.jpg

• Like 3

The tandem layout explains why Daisy looked so sweet on the bicycle made for two, I used to wonder how that could be on a tandem with her sat on the rear saddle pedalling away like mad.

Come on Carni, get yersens one, Chris would appreciate sitting on that front seat!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that if we had a tandem, we wouldn't get far. Chris would be peddling like the clappers while I would secretly have my brake on behind him. Afraid we fall off to often as it is with out the risk of us both on one vehicle.

Looking at the pictures, I can't imagine how the people can even get on and off ne'mind ride them? Looks like the ladies got the front seat on the old pictures.

Much to bumpy on the towpaths for one of them there Tandems. I'm sure we would end up taking a muddy bath pretty quickly.:blink: 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Chulla said:

Is that Plantfit and Rosemary in the three-wheeler?

Could possibly be two of our ancestors Dave, great pictures,keep em coming love the cycle ones

Rog

This page has a nice sketch of the Castle and Castle Boulevard. It also has a Brough Superior car. There used to be two of these in the industrial museum at Wollaton Park. Maybe they are still there. The BSA car had fluid flywheel transmission. I never really understood how that worked.

Cars_p6.jpg

Dogs_p4.jpg

• Like 3

Its simply a fluid flywheel that works, in simple terms, by centrifugal force. Today you would call it a torque converter as in automatic transmission.

Another car with fluid flywheel and thus preselecter gearbox in those days. The Daimlers also had that type of transmission well into the 50s.

It wasn't possible to crash the gears but sometimes the pedal kicked back and you had to start again from neutral. Well the one I drove did.

By the looks of that Daimler straight eight you'd have a tough time pulling out of some blind corners.  You'd have to push the nose out quite a way before you'd get a clear view of the road.  25.7 HP seems quite low for the size of the engine.

All the Saladin armoured cars and their variants had fluid couplings and pre-selector boxes and a forward/reverse lever giving 5 forward and 5 reverse gears. The fluid couplings I've seen look like 2 largish fans encased box which is filled with oil.

One of the drills we were taught was to be moving slowly forward and using the gear change pedal and reversing lever hit instant reverse, accelerating as you go.. Didn't do the Merc that was following me in Germany a lot of good I reversed parked on his bonnet before the commander could shout STOP!!!! Was I pleased to see the Moggie Minor of the damage claims commission.

The old hp figures do seem low. Reason is in 1910 for tax reasons the Gvmnt invited the RAC to calculate the power of engines based on engine piston crown area. Over the years of development actual engine power, bhp far outstripped the RAC nominal estimates in some cases by as much as 10 times. Sometimes power was quoted in two parts, e.g. 16/80. = RAC/actual. This from Wikipedia. 

• Like 2

I like the flowing lines of the Ford. The earlier models had a short radiator and straight front bumper whereas later models had a deeper radiator grille with a dip in the bumper to show it off.

Hillman, Austin, Standard. How to tell all these cars apart. That was my i-spy type pastime in the 40s/50s as Dad and I walked from Bobbers Mill to Wollaton park and back via Western/Middleton boulevards on Sunday mornings.