• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first posting of the cards in the pre-war Players set of motor cars. Not every member is a car buff, so I will be interspersing cards of different subjects to try and please others. The in

WW, wasn't the dip in the bumper there to give access to the bottom pulley when using the starting handle?

Maybe, Brew, but 1933 models had a straight bumper and a crank access below the grille. The later model had the grille incorporating the crank hole. Perhaps the bumper was raised as a cosmetic exercise later thus needing a dip. So your explanation is looking good. A subjective look at the various year versions seems to show a bigger gap between the front mudguard and the bumper on the older one compared with the later one.

Edit. It may have been cheaper for  ford to have put a keyhole in the bumper!

Thank you, Chulla.  Much more interesting (to me) than old cars.  The Herb Robert is prolific round these parts and I'm not fond of it as it smells of cat wee... almost the same as blackcurrants and flowering currant bushes.  I love forget-me-nots, though - one of my favourite flowers even though they spread everywhere

• Like 1

I love the flower cards as well Chulla, especially the wild flowers. They have brought to mind a collection of books titled 'Flower Fairys' by Cicely Mary Barker. I bought them for my Granddaughter one Christmas. If you click on 'Meet the fairies',  and then on the individual pictures you will see many more images.  Not quite cigarette cards but the wild flowers are there and your cards bought back the memory for me.

https://flowerfairies.com/

• Like 2

They are absolutely charming and delightful, carni. As it happens, there will be a Bulwell Festival again this year and a booklet will be published and sold containing poems by local people. We have been invited to submit a couple of poems for which an illustrator will draw suitable and relevant  images.

• Like 1

I hope you are going to enter a couple of your poems Chulla, I'm sure they are well worthy and give enjoyment to the poetry lovers that will be at the Festival.

About poetry.    Just a small addition to my last post. On looking back at the link i also noticed that by clicking yet again on the individual fairy images you will get the accompanying poem to go with the fairy.  It would be a  shame to miss the poems by not realising they are there.:)

No more from me about the fairies, back to the cigarette cards now miducks.

I don't know whether you think the same as me,  but illustrations of flowers always look better than photographs of them.

Because of the favourable response to the flower cards, I will post all 50 of them. When I have done that, and finished the motor cars, I will give it a rest until next year.

Chulla, perhaps with illustrations of flowers, they can be shown as perfect as the artist wants them to be, quite easily, leave a bit off here, add a bit, turn a petal the direction you want to imagine it in,  but with real life it would hard to find a flower with every detail in  perfection to photograph. 

I will look forward to seeing your collection of flower cards.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, carni said:

...... with illustrations of flowers, they can be shown as perfect as the artist wants them to be, quite easily, leave a bit off here, add a bit, 

The same thing often applies with the photographs on food packaging; the picture on the packet always looks much better than the end result which sits on your plate.

• Like 4

When you see a ready meal paella in a supermarket it looks very attractive. When it’s stirred and put on a plate it looks disgusting. Doesn’t taste much better either! Selling is all about presentation. When you’ve got it home it’s your problem.

:hungr:I always get an extra packet of King Prawns to add, and it makes a tremendous difference.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The same thing often applies with the photographs on food packaging; the picture on the packet always looks much better than the end result which sits on your plate.

Now then, CT. You have gone off-topic and dragged others with you. I thought you frowned on that sort of thing.:No1:

• Like 2