2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Not a lot of chance here in the fens as the soul is so good for crop growing

All except those that fell on stony ground, Margie:).

• Like 2
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first posting of the cards in the pre-war Players set of motor cars. Not every member is a car buff, so I will be interspersing cards of different subjects to try and please others. The in

Thanks for the pics again Chulla.

The Cowslip. I was about to say, it is my favourite of the wild flowers, but I stopped myself as I realised it isn't actually my favourite, but is the one that remains a reminder of my childhood. At least one of the fields on the walk to Gedling woods was just a blanket of cowslips, and if I close my eyes I can see myself running through them.

A few years ago after visiting one of the 'National Trust'  properties, we bought a cowslip plant from the garden sale and  put it in my garden.To be honest it got in the way, so I shoved it into a long plastic container and took no notice of it. it is the most neglected plant in my garden but continues to thrive. I don't deserve it because of my neglect, but somehow this little cowslip flowers from spring and can continue right through to winter. It never gets any bigger but It seems to have two flowering seasons. I have got photos of it flowering in November.

I will go in to the garden today and have a word with it. Apologise and tell it how much I love it. Well, if 'Prince Charles' talks to his flowers, so can I. :)

• Like 3

We always referred to the wild arum as 'Lords and Ladies" and tittered about why!  

We used to have the meadow cranes bill in our previous garden but I never liked it that much because it was so straggly and looked untidy in a flower bed.  It would certainly be better left in a meadow but my mum said it reminded her of her young days playing in the meadows so she wanted it in the garden.

Old  joke, but not that funny really.... "Why did the cowslip?"  Answer "Because it saw the bull rush".  

• Like 2

For some reason Postimage will not accept taking the last of the old car images - input cuts out after 84%. I will resume with another 50 later in the year. Meanwhile, I will continue with the Wild Flowers, then that will be it for a while.

Flowers_1.jpg

• Like 1

OK now, have done a re-scan. Is the Wolseley the one shown in the last Ben card?

cars_49_to_50.jpg

• Like 1

Hope you get it sorted soon Chulla, some of us are really enjoying the cards. I thought I was seeing double this morning when I saw  the Forget-Me -Nots again.page 3. See we are taking notice. :biggrin: My daughter had a real thing for those and always picked them for me. I hadn't got the heart to tell her when she was four years old, so waited until she was old enough to understand that we don't pick the wild flowers.

Carni, the trouble with picking forget me nots is that the root usually comes up with the stems!  Or perhaps that only happens in non-heavy soils?  I expect it wouldn't happen in a clay soil...

38 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Carni, the trouble with picking forget me nots is that the root usually comes up with the stems!  Or perhaps that only happens in non-heavy soils?  I expect it wouldn't happen in a clay soil...

I remember forget-me-nots being a right pain in posterior. We always thought of them as pernicious weeds and it seemed that for every one that was pulled out, two grew in their place.

Pretty little flowers, though.

Jonab, I don't like the idea of 'pernicious weeds' being on top of my coffin!   I've told Paul and our children that the only flowers I want on my coffin are forget- me- nots, buttercups and daisy chains with maybe a few clover flowers.  All I've got to do now is to try and die in the right season!

Phil, you're right there... and  if he comes back before I die, then that's good!  

But if my time to leave you all comes before that, then I hope it will be in Spring or Summer so the 'pernicious weeds' will be in flower

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MargieH said:

... and  if he comes back before I die, then that's good!  

Er, what's he going to do if he did come back? We read that he has already been back once, spoke to his disciples and then cleared off. Funny that; I would have thought that he would have gone back to the place where he was crucified and showed those who witnessed it that he had come back from the dead. Awkward situation to explain when there is no proof that it happened.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

Er, what's he going to do if he did come back? We read that he has already been back once, spoke to his disciples and then cleared off. Funny that; I would have thought that he would have gone back to the place where he was crucified and showed those who witnessed it that he had come back from the dead. Awkward situation to explain when there is no proof that it happened.

Erm!   He did.

I will only address this once and then I will shurrup!   Otherwise the padlock may appear on the thread.

There is considerable Biblical and historical evidence that He did appear.  He did not waste His time with those who crucified Him they would have only explained it away as a mirage or whatever.   I will not quote a bunch of Bible verses., although plenty exist.   I suggest reading Josh Mcdowells book, Evidence that 'Demands a Verdict.'  He was an atheistic lawyer who set out determined to disprove the Christian faith.

We Christians on the site are at somewhat of a disadvantage.  We make a comment like "Lord willing" or some-such and the atheist jumps in with a remark denying or ridiculing such faith and giving us a dose of atheistic ideas.   That's fine, but please don't accuse us of pushing religion if we make a passing comment about our faith.  I am not trying to convert you.  I really don't understand why the atheist feels the need to even respond.  The Internet is a poor arena for that and this site especially because it is about Nottingham in particular.  Politics and religion are frowned upon here and I respect that.  What we are talking about relates to eternal matters which each man and woman must decide for themselves.

Jesus did not use sneaky or co-ercive techniques to get people to follow Him.  He simply stated the facts and moved on.  The "religious' crowd hated Him.

Yes, Christians use phrases like Lord willing, because to us it is so.  I believe He governs my next breath and the length of my life.  You don't, but don't feel threatened I can't convert you.

I am not fishing for a religious debate here, neither is this some kind of rebuke.  Such would be pointless and inflame anger.  Just saying.:)  I enjoy our interactions.

Now back to cigarette cards!  :)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Nice cards Chulla, Roll on the spring, lets have some sunshine and we'll soon be seeing these wild flowers for real. The Common Lings bell shaped flowers hold a good amount of necter thus the honey produced by the bees  has its own characteristic flavour. The Common Mallow seems to have been a very useful plant to have around. The leaves good for eating, a remedy for bee stings and also used  to ease coughs. Can't be bad. The Ladies Smock or cuckoo flower, gets it name from the fact that it comes out around the time of the arrival of the first cuckoo. The flower also has some  of a religous nature in medieval  times. Of course I knew all this without researching it. :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When we first moved into this house in the 80s the bottom of the garden had gone to weed and entwined among the weeds was what I thought was a beautiful wild flower. Purple bell shaped with a yellow middle, rambling along in between  anything it could attach to, anyway I was soon put right. Ooh you want to get rid of that weed, it's Deadly Nightshade, kill you that will, said anyone who saw it. I pulled it up, and every so many years it would appear again up the one corner. I persevered and eventually I won. It disappeared for good. Never gave it another thought until I saw the cigarette card, didn't even realise there were two Nightshades. After all these years I didn't know  which one was in my garden. I have today learnt that Deadly Nightshade grows individual flowers whilst the Woody Nightshade  grows in clusters. Now I know my plant was the Woody Nightshade.http://vialiigardenservices.co.uk/deadly-v-woody-nightshade/

• Upvote 1