Does a child's christian name determine their personality

Roberts who insist on being called Robert invariably ar up their own backsides.

Roberts who don't mind being called a Bob are normally amicable, genuine and laid back.

Just my opinion. 

Reading through this thread, Ben.  Much as I agree with you I would suggest you are skating on dangerously thin ice. :biggrin:  Nottstalgians are a notably affable friendly lot, but I wouldn't dare call anybody 'dim.'  LOL   Just kidding.

Re. Roberts.  I couldn't agree more.  Late father in law always preferred Bob.  A nicer guy you couldn't have wished to meet.

It is remarkable how so many of us have noted similar traits among some names.  I once knew a Roger in Toronto.  Devious, pompous little twit.  Not to say all Rogers are like that, but that one sure lived up to his reputation.

I'm not saying much about ladies names that is really dangerous ground. kickme

Suffice it to say I have been married to two Janets now.  Both real ladies.  Actually Mrs. Loppy's first name is Emma.  But she prefers Janet and goes by that.  OK by me.

Sorry Liz, but they were. Rolls-Royce had a test pilot whose name was Bob Jones. He was killed in an accident and he is named on a memorial as Robert. It was mistakenly taken for granted that his name was Robert. He is buried in Hucknall cemetery; his headstone says Bob Jones AFC.

Some people are given at birth what appear to be shortened names. At a recent wedding, whilst looking at the table layout names, a friend flew into a rage, alerting all around her, to the fact that her place setting was made out to Rebecca, when in fact her name was Becky. To us she seemed to be over reacting, but perhaps after 48 years of saying my name is not Rebecca it is Becky, the poor gel snapped!

I'm sensitive about my full name too Carni. My mother insisted on calling me by my full name until the day she died, and I was nearly 50. The shortened version is much more friendly, amicable and informal. Which I dare say is me to a T.

• Upvote 1

People tend to assume that my name is Gillian, it isn't! My mother disliked names which could be abbreviated and named me Jill. People sometimes call me Jilly and it irritates me. My father always called me Liz which, even though my middle name is Elizabeth, was probably more of a nickname.

When I was born, my sister wanted to call me Wendy. I'm glad my parents didn't allow her choice to prevail!

If you do a bit of Googling, there are so many names that are changed, for instance a very common one is my father in laws name John, always referred to as Jack. With a lot of them, a connection isn't obvious. I found this list on this site link. Quite interesting if you fancy a browse.http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/8767/changes-in-english-names-of-people

• Barbara → Babs
  • Charles → Chuck → Chaz → Chicka
  • Dorothy → Dot, Dottie
  • Edward → Ted, Teddy (e.g. Edward "Ted" Kennedy)
  • Eleanor, Helen → Nell, Nellie
  • Elizabeth → Bess, Bessie
  • Gerald → Jerry
  • Henry → Hal, Hank, Harry
  • James → Jim → Jimbo, Jimmy
  • John → Jack
  • Katherine → Kitty
  • Margaret → Peggy, Peg, Meg
  • Philippa → Pippa, Pip or Pippy
  • Richard → Dick
  • Sarah → Sally
  • Theodore → Ted, Teddy
  • Virginia → Ginger, Ginny

Jill, My sister in law didn't want her children to have names that could be shortened, and I can understand that, as so many very nice names can be spoilt by cutting them short. Her choices were Emma and Adam. all their lives they have been known affectionately  by family and friends as Em and Ad. Shame really.

• Upvote 1

My two daughters both have first names that can be shortened, and they like it. My stepdaughter has a long first name, but we never shorten it, as it would detract from the beauty of it. 

I am Kathleen, I think the only time I was called that was by teachers at school, in fact no one's name was shortened there. But I have always been Kath everywhere else. Will answer to anything though, Kathleen, Kath, Kate, Katy, Kay, Kat. All Kathleen's/Katherine's over here are called Kathy, without exception.

My mum's name was Kathleen (also my middle name). She was only ever called Kath.  It's supposed to mean 'pure'.  Now there's a name to live up to, katyjay!

I dont like shortening names. My daughter and daughter in law are called Deborah ( daughter) and Debora (in law) its confusing but I found the pronuciation helps distinguish one from the other. My son Is James with my fathers name as his second name but it wasn't until I saw a document  of my grandfathers also James that I realised that it could be shortened to Jim. Fortunately everyone calls him by his full name but his wife calls him Je.  My daughter gets called Deb and Debby but to us she is Deborah , thats her name and thats whats she is called.

Some of our young grandchildren's peers at school are Reuben, Holly, Sebastian, Oliver, Louis, Harry, Daisy, Alaric, Lydia, Mia, Hezekiah, Rhiannon, Elsa, Oscar, Emma, Alfie, Alara, Gabriel, Owen, Joshua, Mia.... I could go on, but I think the list shows that there weren't many names like that when I was at school!  This is just an ordinary State Primary School btw

In my school days it was all Janet, Linda, Gillian, Margaret, Susan, Jennifer etc. I'm sure our parents generation thought we'd all got those new-fangled names, when they were all Gladys, Olive, Elsie etc. 

Yes margie..............and she was ''Glad all over''.......Whitwell and Worksop...............lol.

• Upvote 1