Does a child's christian name determine their personality

When I was on the delivery table about to give birth to my eldest son, the midwife asked me what names I had in mind. Nicola for a girl, Ian for a boy. 'Thank God for that', she said,' if I deliver another Jason, I'll scream'. Jason was the 'in' name in the 70's. Go forward a few years, and I'm working at the playgroup my daughter attended. Every Jason I came across there, was a little bugger, couldn't sit still for story time, tormenting the kids around them etc etc. Thank goodness I didn't pick that name. Anyone else come across a name that conjures up memories?. 

• Upvote 1

Read somewhere years ago that if, on their registers at the start of the new year, teachers saw that they had a Mark in their class they knew they were in for trouble

• Upvote 1

Well as you know my name is Roger and true to form I spent the early part of my life Dodging,so Roger the Dodger sums me up really,these days I am too old to dodge,so try to behave as much as I can,(but it's really hard)

Rog

• Upvote 1

I'm married to a Roger who was always called Dodge by his friends when he was younger and when he goes back to the place he grew up his old mates still call him Dodge.  When I hear stories of his younger days I can see that the name fits! 

One of our sons is called Andrew but strangely he's been Dodge to his mates since he was a young teenager. I've always assumed it was because of the way he played rugby but there could be a more serious reason for the nickname that I don't know about! 

• Upvote 2

Called David as an infant.  I won't say Christened because my folks were not religious and never had me 'done!'

I've known a few David's throughout my life.  Most were fairly placid individuals.  Eg. One was a pilot with BA.  Now retired.  So laid back I think if his plane had been about to hit the ground, he would probably have said, 'we have a bit of a problem here.'

I'm pretty even tempered, don't like arguing.  About the only thing makes me steam is political correctness.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Funny how we associate names with types............because of our past experiences,

Davids ive always found nice chaps.........but (and i know its the same) Dave's ive always found well Sus

Rogers..well dodgy

Malcolms........nice but dim like Tim

Micks....always liked the Ladies

Terry's.....very gulible

Pete's.....could go one or tuther

Harry's............solid and dependable

Christines.........lovely and cuddly

Kaths.........not to be crossed

Lizzie's inc.Elizabeth.....bossy

Maggies Margie's Margaret..............prim and proper

Hazels..........mostly ginger

Carols..............well fit

hope no one offended..just a bit of fun................lol.

• Upvote 5

Nice one Den.................bit like the Red Indian boy who asked his dad        ''Why you name my sister 'running Water' and brother 'wild horse' ?...................well son he said they were the 1st things i saw after they were born...............anyway 'Dog shit on Moccasun'' why all the questions?

• Upvote 3

Did'nt know i'd mentioned a Carnie............lol.....Edit and can you remember that song 'Little Christine''  ?

• Upvote 1

I was in love with Christine who lived 3 doors away but our back gardens met.........and i used to play that record FULL BLAST from my bedroom window.....................untill me Dad threatened to throw the Record and player out the window...........well he was on nights...........lol.

• Upvote 1

She did carnie...............both 15 at the time....first girl i bought a drink for in town...........was in the 'Royal Chidren' she had a 'COINTREAU'...4/6.................things went down hill soon after........4/6.....could'nt believe it..................lol.

• Upvote 1

Oi ! I'm not dim either. I have my faults ( maybe one) but definitely NOT dim ! 

Ben, I'm not sure about Margie being 'prim and proper'.... sounds a bit boring!   Although in some ways I suppose it was true in my teenage years.   I had lots of boyfriends but .... (I don't know how to put the rest of the sentence....)

• Upvote 2

I know what you mean Margie..............bit of a Dance...kiss on the cheek......home on the Bus....................lol.

• Upvote 1

My next door neighbours are both teachers and are expecting their first child, a boy, in a few months. When we asked what they might name him, they laughed and said they had to be careful. Some names invariably conjured up memories of particular brats, of which they'd had more than a few.

As a teacher it was difficult to not associate a name with a certain pupil .... 

Guys of my generation certainly were all true to their names 

Rogers......Dodgers, characters , intelligent 

Daves......laid back. Smooth talking, spiritual 

Trevs....... Wide boys, naughty, fun 

Micks..........usually Irish , argumentative, flashy 

Tonys...... Good dancers, scooter owners, neat 

Steves......good manners, music lovers, boy next door 

Grahams.....conservative , loyal , steady 

Pauls....kind , aspirational, appreciative.

Nigels.....conceited,  ambitious,  players 

Andrews.... Sporty, charming, affectionate 

Peters.....talkers, organisers, drinkers

Timothys.....thinkers , musicians, free spirits.

Keiths......reliable. Kind. Thoughtful

Alans..... Noisey, lively, flirty 

Brians.....loud, sociable, generous

Johns .......creative, attentative, sensible

Richards.......sporty, confident  , car lovers 

etc etc etc....no offence intended to any Nottstalgian 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the compliment Chrissie, so I'm not dim after all !

I've mainly found Roberts to be devious, underhand and self centred.

Whereas Bobs tend to be genuine and friendly.