been skint...........been flushed.......been in-between..........been sad......been happy.........not been the best..........not been the worst

Lived it..........done it..........not clever..........not thick..........just tried to make my way...........just love one more chance to mend my mistakes along the way...........perhaps not Poetic but do me best........and as the song goes..........''who could ask for anything more''

LOL.

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That shopping list seems to belong to the days when shops and streets looked like this. Denman Street, Radford, in the late 40s.

Used to think my 'Granville Bike' was a pulling machine Jill,......when i was 15 and working at Marsdens on Bestwood Estate,...i was in love with a girl called 'Dolly' and often gave her a lift in me

Been waxing lyrical tonight with my daughter and son in law,,probably bored their brains out,,but with my working days finally over thought i'd inflict my self on them.......went through my working li

As Frank Sinatra said, "I did it my way." Could be your theme song, Ben, along with another, less well known, ballad he used to sing, "I fall in love too easily!"

I grew up with Sinatra records as my father was an admirer of his!  

• Upvote 1

"I fall in love too easily.

I fall in love too fast.

I fall in love too terribly hard

For love to ever last.

My heart should be well schooled,

Cause I've been fooled in the past

but, still, I fall in love too easily.

I fall in love too fast."

Could have been written for you, Ben!  Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne. Sung in the film Anchors Aweigh! Starring the incomparable Gene Kelly! Would have loved to dance with him!

• Upvote 1

Yeah!!! Jill, you with Gene Kelly and me with Ann Miller. (Cyd Charisse if Ann wasn't free)

• 2 months later...

Waxing Lyrical........is usually about remembering happy times and ive said before ive loved all my working life,.......and none more so than my early days at Marsdens in 1960,.so for a bit of fun.........to this end ive 'waxed' a bit for you about the prices of early 60s for those of you that might recall a few.,hope they jog your memories,can't vouch for their 100% accuracy but they will be pretty close.

Customers used to leave their 'Order books usually on a friday morning,and we delivered later that day,a typical order would be as follows,

2lb Sugar........................1s..4d

1lb Lard...........................1s..6d

1lb BB Divi Tea................6s..0d

2oz tin Nescafe................2s..6d

Half lb Anchor Butter........1s..11d

1LB Flitch Bacon..............4s..6d

Half LB Parrs tomato sos..1s..6d

LB Pigs Liver......................4s..0d

2 Pork Chops.....................3s..6d

3lb 4oz chicken..................9s..11d

Norfolk s.o stuffing.............1s..3d

3lb Be-Ro SR Flour............1s..11d

Qtr Barkers Potted meat.....1s..6d

12oz tin unox l/meat............2s..6d

12oz jar jubilee onions.........2s..6d

120z can FB corned beef     3s..6d

Half lb Pork dripping.............1s..6d

hows that for healthy eating ...........and all delivered free......with a smile by our very own Granville.......Don't ask me to add it up aint got a pencil.......LOL.

• Upvote 2

Well done Loppy................. to be honest i was just trying to workit out and came pretty close to that.................lol..................we really did use a pencil,.........then most of our fingers on the till................then the drawer flew open.........bit like ''open all hours''.......

• Upvote 2

I could be wrong.  I was a bit unconventional.  Added up all the shillings first and got something.  Then added up the pennies divide by 12 and you've got  a number to add to the pounds.  The rest have to be shillings and pence.  Doubt if today's generation even remembers REAL money.

server is acting a bit funny today.  Said it encountered some kind of error wouldn't let me back in for a while.  I didn't think my arithmetic was that bad.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Imagine getting all that and delivered free for about 2.50 today, mind you my wage was about 4 pound a week. Gave mam two pound,took a girl out two nights and still had money left next pay day, happy days eh 

• Upvote 2

We were SO similar.  I made 3 pounds a week as a first year electrical apprentice.  Gave me mam 30 bob a week room and board.  No negotiation 30 bob or else!  Had me social life on the rest.  No way I could afford a car or even a motor bike though.  Happy enough!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Benjamin #7

So many forgotten tastes on that list, never did drink tea and most of the time me mum bought Camp coffee and chicory essence "ugh" as my dad liked that best, probably a left over from the war years. Butter, for some reason we always had Fernleaf or failing that Lurpak.

Yummo to the flitch bacon, Parrs tomato sausages, Norfolk sage and onion stuffing, potted meat, what was it and can you still get it? Unox luncheon meat, still love a Spam fritter now and again, Fray Bentos corned beef, still good with cheese on a toasted sandwich. Last of all dripping but beef, I hated the stuff but my dad had it almost every day in his snap for down the mine as he said it was one of the few things that did not dry out the bread or make it go soggy or sweat when working in one of the hotter parts of the pit.

• Upvote 2

I'll bet you had a lot in common with Granville the errand boy, our Ben! Always after the ladies, wasn't he? I think  you were much more successful in that department though! We had most of those items delivered from Norman Hurstfield's shop on Alfreton Road, opposite FLY2s fish & chip emporium. My dad liked Camp Coffee too. Brooke Bond tea had cut out tokens on the packet but my mum preferred 99 tea which, I think was from the Coop!

Happy days and service with a smile!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Used to think my 'Granville Bike' was a pulling machine Jill,......when i was 15 and working at Marsdens on Bestwood Estate,...i was in love with a girl called 'Dolly' and often gave her a lift in me 'Basket'............sadly it came to an end when her Dad saw me pass a 28 Bus going down Hove road (a very steep sharp hill) with her giggling in the basket...........he was on the Bus..........lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Ah......Meadow Dairy big competion to Marsdens,.........Denman street few years later home to a Vernons store.........gone are the days you could walk a street like that and within a few yards.......buy 5lb of 'Taters' a Roll of Wallpaper and a new Frock.......lol

Nobs of Blue.....Electrozones......Chloros.......Hornimans Tea.........Bev Coffee.........Omo........Rinso...........Lux Flakes............Wonderloaf.............Duraglit.......................its ok i'm still Waxing Lyrical..............

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.buy 5lb of 'Taters' a Roll of Wallpaper and a new Frock.......lol

Never put you down as one to buy a frock Ben more like a dapper suit,cuff links and tie pin

Rog

• Upvote 2

We had a Meadow Dairy and a Marsdens in Netherfield if I remember rightly.  They both seemed to do o-k.  Don't know where you went to buy a frock though.  :Shock:.  Only time I ever bought one was for me fiancé and that was in Nottingham somewhere and she was with me.  I'd never have bought one on my own.  I know what those sales gals would have been thinking.   Just about broke me that did.  ;)

• Upvote 3

Rog and Loppy............i didnt mean i............i meant when ......i was refering to.........oh never mind,..........aint gonna live this one down..........wait till Jill sees it...............lol'

• Upvote 3

Well I won't tell anyone and I'm sure loppy won't either,your secrets safe with us mate

Rog

• Upvote 2

You've gotta read what yer wrote before yer hit 'submit reply' Ben.  You know how much mileage we're all gonna get out of such a statement.  It might even exceed the Liberty bodice stuff.    Lol.

• Upvote 2

Cracking photo CT. Looked much the same in the late 50s, early 60s when I was en route to my beloved Garden Street!

Now then, Ben. If you want to wear a frock sweetheart, I wouldn't dream of raising any objections. It seems that in this crazy 21st century world,nowt is off limits any more! Just remember not to leave your liberty bodice off before June. Can't be too careful!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

I only go into Bulwell once a week, but from now on I shall be on Main Street every day between 10am and 11 am, with my camera, hoping to catch Benji in his frock. Perhaps I will see him coming out of Albert Brown's hairdressing salon.:rotfl:

• Upvote 4