• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That shopping list seems to belong to the days when shops and streets looked like this. Denman Street, Radford, in the late 40s.

Used to think my 'Granville Bike' was a pulling machine Jill,......when i was 15 and working at Marsdens on Bestwood Estate,...i was in love with a girl called 'Dolly' and often gave her a lift in me

Been waxing lyrical tonight with my daughter and son in law,,probably bored their brains out,,but with my working days finally over thought i'd inflict my self on them.......went through my working li

I just had to log back on to see how this thread was doing.  It is as I expected.  :rolleyes:

It has been giving me a smile all day while I was working in my veggy garden.   Mrs. Loppy probably thinks I've got some whacky baccy in the shed.  Looking forward to Chulla's photos.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of frocks our Ben prefers. A little Audrey Hepburn, cinched waist number, perhaps or maybe a full Sunray pleated skirt a la Marilyn Monroe on the subway grating! It'll be something 50s or early 60s and tasteful knowing our Ben!  :wacko:

• Upvote 3

Anyway i blame clff ton for showing that photo of clays on denman street that started all this off. Lol

• Upvote 4

Clay's sold shoes, not dresses, Ben! They did very nice silver dancing slippers in their shop on the corner of Alfreton/Hartley Road when I was little.  Looking for some snazzy footwear to go with your frock?  :rolleyes:

Must be a different company cos I can see frocks in the window of Denman Street. Look a tad dowdy for our Ben, though!

• Upvote 2

Whichever frock he goes with, he'll know exactly how much it cost down to the last penny. How many yards of fabric it took. Who made the sewing machine etc.

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of frocks our Ben prefers. A little Audrey Hepburn, cinched waist number, perhaps or maybe a full Sunray pleated skirt a la Marilyn Monroe on the subway grating! It'll be something 50s or early 60s and tasteful knowing our Ben!  :wacko:

Well if its the Marilyn Monroe style I hope there is some tasteful lingerie to go with it.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Will be on my way in a couple of hours to stand outside 'spoons on Main Street. I shall recognise him - that moustache is a dead giveaway. If he is wearing a low-cut frock I might even see his liberty bodice - nice. Benji, a word to the wise; shave your legs and don't wear high-heel shoes. I hear they are a sod to walk in if you are a man.

Just a thought; is this the way Benji dresses to camouflage himself to catch the shoplifters?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Coincidental that Farrands was where the Newsagent now is next to 'Costa Coffee'..........and they sold Peak Freans 2lb xmas Puddings for 7/6 Chulla..........

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/20/2017 at 7:48 PM, benjamin1945 said:

been skint...........been flushed.......been in-between..........been sad......been happy.........not been the best..........not been the worst

Lived it..........done it..........not clever..........not thick..........just tried to make my way...........just love one more chance to mend my mistakes along the way...........perhaps not Poetic but do me best........and as the song goes..........''who could ask for anything more''

LOL.

Been waxing lyrical tonight with my daughter and son in law,,probably bored their brains out,,but with my working days finally over thought i'd inflict my self on them.......went through my working life with them from 1960 to 2018,,told them all my ups and very few downs.........many funny stories.....they are of a different mind set  ie more sensible,,but i felt from son in law a little envy.......silly boy............in todays world he is perfect...and i should keep me gob shut.........or should i   ?...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

No. Ben, If you've something to say, just say it !

• Like 1
On 4/10/2017 at 10:27 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Waxing Lyrical........is usually about remembering happy times and ive said before ive loved all my working life,.......and none more so than my early days at Marsdens in 1960,.so for a bit of fun.........to this end ive 'waxed' a bit for you about the prices of early 60s for those of you that might recall a few.,hope they jog your memories,can't vouch for their 100% accuracy but they will be pretty close.

Customers used to leave their 'Order books usually on a friday morning,and we delivered later that day,a typical order would be as follows,

2lb Sugar........................1s..4d

1lb Lard...........................1s..6d

1lb BB Divi Tea................6s..0d

2oz tin Nescafe................2s..6d

Half lb Anchor Butter........1s..11d

1LB Flitch Bacon..............4s..6d

Half LB Parrs tomato sos..1s..6d

LB Pigs Liver......................4s..0d

2 Pork Chops.....................3s..6d

3lb 4oz chicken..................9s..11d

Norfolk s.o stuffing.............1s..3d

3lb Be-Ro SR Flour............1s..11d

Qtr Barkers Potted meat.....1s..6d

12oz tin unox l/meat............2s..6d

12oz jar jubilee onions.........2s..6d

120z can FB corned beef     3s..6d

Half lb Pork dripping.............1s..6d

hows that for healthy eating ...........and all delivered free......with a smile by our very own Granville.......Don't ask me to add it up aint got a pencil.......LOL.

Most people today couldn't add that little lot up :P
£2.11s  4d

• Like 1

Well done Bubble you prob. correct............i think younger people today have no idea and can't imagine how we used to add up,,in Marsdens it was all done by Pencil if it was as above,,but most adding up was done by your skills of mental Arithmetic,,adding each item in your head,,the same behind the Bar,, 2 pints x 1/11 a snowball 3/- 2 packets of crisps x6d ,20 Parkies 3/6,, eleven and four please sir,, £1 tendered =8/8 change..........don't it look crazy now.......lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I enjoyed doing that and got the same result as Cliff and Brew. Took me about 30 seconds - my brain must be getting slower!

• Like 1

Congratulations Brew and Cliff ton..........you've both passed the test

Cliff ton.......please report to our Manager at Varney road 9am monday morning,

Brew........as above Sadler Gate Derby

please be wearing White shirt and Tie,,black trousers,,black shoes,,we will supply you with Short white coat and Apron.

Your wage will be £5 per week spread over 6 days,,half day Thursday,,     good luck,,............lol

• Like 2