Margie,,please report 9am monday to Marsdens ,Mansfield road, where our Manager Mr Howard will greet you.

• Like 2
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That shopping list seems to belong to the days when shops and streets looked like this. Denman Street, Radford, in the late 40s.

Used to think my 'Granville Bike' was a pulling machine Jill,......when i was 15 and working at Marsdens on Bestwood Estate,...i was in love with a girl called 'Dolly' and often gave her a lift in me

Been waxing lyrical tonight with my daughter and son in law,,probably bored their brains out,,but with my working days finally over thought i'd inflict my self on them.......went through my working li

Well, Y'all beat me too it, but I did come up with the right total.  Had to write a bit down though.  When I reached 29 pennies in me 'ead.  I knew that was 2 and 5 pence, but I'd have forgotten what it was by the time I added the shillings if I didn't write it down.  Oh the joys a gerrin owd!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You still Passed Loppy.........report to Mr Howard (brother of sherwood manager) 9am Monday Marsdens Victoria road,Netherfield,,........where you will be taught to ''Bone and roll'' a side of Bacon and 'Skin a Cheese''     lol

• Like 1

This as got me Waxing again about my Teenage years at Marsdens,,at 15 i was working at the one on Andover road,,and every day before closing at 6pm  Mrs Williams a lady who lived on Teviot came in at 5.45 on her way back from working in Bulwell,,to say she was grumpy was putting it mildly........she'd snap ''qtr of Potted meat,,2 slices of bacon cut thin,,small brown loaf,,and a qtr of Dividend tea,,..........being the new boy they made sure it was me who served her every time........i was 'Politeness itself' yes Mrs Williams,,certainly Mrs Williams,,thank you Mrs Williams,,

She never showed any thanks and always snapped at me,,anyway i'll try to make this long story as short as possible,, the shop changed its closing time from 6pm to 5.30,,and i said to the Manager Mr Richards ''what about Mrs Williams?........he said if you care so much you can have the keys and lock up after serving her''............which i did,, ist time under new hours i told Mrs W what i was doing for her.........she said quite right,,Mr Richards is a good man...........could'nt believe it,thought i'd at least get a thank you......whenever i watch Open all hours'' i still think of Mrs Williams,when Granville and Mrs Featherstone (stephannie Cole) do a scene together......God Bless her..........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

As an experiment, I tried doing it using the calculator on the computer....that totally stumped me. I think it can be done, but my brain is quicker.

Trouble is you are working firstly in base 12 then in base 20 & it gets more complicated if you are working in weight.

You've got a job as well Bubble.........nearest Marsdens  Valley road/Heatherley drive......first job weighing Lard 28lb block qtr of CWT into LBs

Seconds in a year...... 60x60x24x365.25 = ?

I remember chanting in primary school...

16 ounces make one pound

14 pounds make one stone

8 stones make one cwt

20 cwt makes one ton

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Talking about the Derbyshire Dales got me remembering when the Wife and i first got together,  ,she's never been an outdoor girl and spent most of her life in the flat 'Fenlands''................However to impress her took her up the Dales to show her what she's been missing,,,packed my 'Rucksack' with Rocks to show her how macho i was,,,which was ok until i slipped and lay on my back and couldn't get up,  (she still laughs at that).

We must have gone about 10 miles and it was fairly hard going near Kinder Scout when it started to rain,,,i noticed what i thought was rain running down her cheeks,,,turned out they were Tears''........alright 'Duck' i asked?........''alright ? i run off with a man who calls me 'Duck' then climb a Mountain in the pouring rain,  i must be mad, get me out of here '''............She loves Matlock though,,,.......lol

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Something to 'Wax lyrical'' about turned up just now,whilst rummaging about in old cases again,,a Forest programme just a few months after our Cup final win over Luton town,,,it was at home against Blackpool,,Saturday,October 26th 1957,,,Forest team in the old formation,,

Thomson

Whare                                                                          Thomas

Morley                                              McKinlay                                  Burkitt

Gray                         Barrett                                  Wilson                      Baily                            Imlach      

Nine of the players who were Cup Winners,,,,over the ensuing years met a few of the Forest players,,,Bill Whare,when he kept the Pub at Redhill,,Bob McKinlay and Jim Barrett when they came to a schoolboy semi final match on St.Albans road Bulwell,,, Highbury v Henry Whipple.

The great Stanley Matthews was in the Blackpool team,,,and i'm sure it was the day i got his Autograph in the big Coop.

Some adverts in the Programme,,,''Arthur Rowe'' soccer boots 39/-...Train trip to Wolverhampton sat.2nd November 7s. Od....up to date photo of Forest team 1/3.

oh yes the programme was 4d...........and Blackpool won 1-2

• Like 2
7 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Something to 'Wax lyrical'' about turned up just now,whilst rummaging about in old cases again,,a Forest programme just a few months after our Cup final win over Luton town,,,it was at home against Blackpool,,Saturday,October 26th 1957,,,Forest team in the old formation,,

Thomson

Whare                                                                          Thomas

Morley                                              McKinlay                                  Burkitt

Gray                         Barrett                                  Wilson                      Baily                            Imlach      

Nine of the players who were Cup Winners,,,,over the ensuing years met a few of the Forest players,,,Bill Whare,when he kept the Pub at Redhill,,Bob McKinlay and Jim Barrett when they came to a schoolboy semi final match on St.Albans road Bulwell,,, Highbury v Henry Whipple.

The great Stanley Matthews was in the Blackpool team,,,and i'm sure it was the day i got his Autograph in the big Coop.

Some adverts in the Programme,,,''Arthur Rowe'' soccer boots 39/-...Train trip to Wolverhampton sat.2nd November 7s. Od....up to date photo of Forest team 1/3.

oh yes the programme was 4d...........and Blackpool won 1-2

Hi Ben, seven of the players named were in the cup winning team.  Regards,

Will2017

• Like 2

Yes Will,,,i'm wrong again,,,,,how about this question then.....5 forest players were English in the 59 final,,,5 were Scots....what and who was the other ?

No Googling....lol