• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That shopping list seems to belong to the days when shops and streets looked like this. Denman Street, Radford, in the late 40s.

Used to think my 'Granville Bike' was a pulling machine Jill,......when i was 15 and working at Marsdens on Bestwood Estate,...i was in love with a girl called 'Dolly' and often gave her a lift in me

Been waxing lyrical tonight with my daughter and son in law,,probably bored their brains out,,but with my working days finally over thought i'd inflict my self on them.......went through my working li

Well done Will.............over the years Forest had a few Channel Islanders play for them,,,ones i recall are ,,obviously Bill Whare,,,then there was Geoff Vowden,,the Farmer bros i think?,,Ron and Bill,,and Flip le flem..sure there were others,,,brain not fully awake yet,,,

• 1 year later...

Been 'Waxing Lyrical'' this lovely morning...with my Coffee on the Garden............Watching a man cut my grass and waiting for another to do some digging in my borders.......since my OP I have a problem with one shoulder that slopes away..so cant dig or lift owt heavy.......so just ;Waxing' about only a short time ago when it was all no problem........and this song says alot............can still Cycle though....off on it now....

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

Just felt like a bit of ''Waxing Lyrical''.........and what better than doing it to this...........never will forget the 'Lady's in Red''

• Like 1
18 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just felt like a bit of ''Waxing Lyrical''.........and what better than doing it to this...........never will forget the 'Lady's in Red''

My husband dedicated this song to me on the radio for our anniversary.

• Like 1

Thats lovely Nonna.........beautiful words......

I dedicated it to a few aswell............:rolleyes:

I have some real funny memories \of my 'Lady's' in 'Red Dresses''

Upstairs at the Highbury Pub in Bulwell at a family Party in the late 60s........an Aunt and Uncle had a trifle fight while Dancing...my Ex always liked making an Entrance'' and entered the room in her brand new long 'Red Dress'' just after the ''Trifle fight''...........dead funny....she shot across the room on her 'ASS' crashing into 'Grandma's' table as she supped her 'Guiness''

................smile2

• Like 3

Red is a colour I never wear. I'm foul tempered if I do.

I did once have a bright red maxi dress in the 70s. Wore it to a family silver wedding celebration in 1976 at The Commodore. Fell out with everyone, including my own shadow that night.  Had an identical dress in light blue. Loved that one to bits! Just something about red that makes me...see red!

One of my favourites was the silver lame, halter neck catsuit I bought in the mid 70s.  Out one evening in that and needed the loo. Zip at the back jammed!! :blink:. Oh dear!

• Like 2

Brew, did it somehow upset you when Dorothy clicked her ‘ruby slippers’ together in Wizard of Oz? :P

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Brew, did it somehow upset you when Dorothy clicked her ‘ruby slippers’ together in Wizard of Oz? :P

It must have been something traumatic in my past but I don't think Dorothy is to blame.

Like CF though, if a lady was wearing only red shoes i might make an exception!    :wub:

• 6 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Played this just over a year ago......it gets truer as time slips by.............

On 7/24/2018 at 1:17 AM, Bubblewrap said:

How many inches in a mile

We often go to the horse races as I am part owner of a gee gee and the race callers still use furlongs even though all the races in Oz are now in metres and have been for many years.

Looking back it seems like the UK only made a half-hearted attempt at converting to the metric system.

There are many things that have gone "metric" like petrol being sold in litres and yet vehicle fuel economy is still quoted as miles per gallon. Beer and milk are still sold in pints. I worked in engineering in the UK and in the mid 60s we had converted to S.I. units (metric). I must admit that when it came to tightening bolts and screw I had much more of an idea what a foot/pound or an inch/pound was than a Newton/metre of torque was.

That’s why I love going to the US, it’s all miles and gallons

Mrs B, funny you should mention that you prefer Imperial measurements.

Everything here is made to metric measurements, if you work on a car you need metric tools.

Our gallon is smaller than the UK gallon, sometime in the 1800's the UK changed the bushel to gallons, it was the same as the US back then, we stayed the same, why alter something that works?? UK adopted a liquid measurement.

All scientists work in the metric scales.

I still prefer Fahrenheit to Celsius, Miles, pounds, gallons etc.. Although the money system has been metric for over 240 years, all soft drinks are sold by the litre bottle. Odd lot the Americans, but love them and my adopted country and have been accepted as one of them

• Like 1

A wood working magazine I get had a letter to the editor from a Canadian woodworker, he said he knew only metric before he got into woodworking for a living, he said he much prefers using inches and fractions of inches when he designs and builds furniture.

We’re coming over to Sarasota FLA at the end of September, can’t wait! Bit far away from you though John.

Bit too humid in Florida for me, I like Montana to be honest, but winters are bitter up there, so it's my wife's home state where we live.

• 6 months later...

http://i.pinimg.com/736x/c0/f6/50/c0f6504359c4b0a5e66168e0a0224ef1.jpg

BK got me 

waxing lyrical this morning on another thread....when he mentioned his best working years.......all my working life i was involved with retail and like'' occupations........can honestly say i enjoyed all my 58 years of work....and it was due to people like the one's above...absolute brilliant characters....who i will never forget.......

• Like 2

47923.jpg

Even the lifters were memorable......some nasty...but most quite funny....if you treated them with a bit of humour first......could write a book on the funny ones....especially the 'Pensioners''.....:)

• Like 1